USS Constitution by SomethingIsFishy - FINISHED - Revell - 1:196 scale - PLASTIC

Another birthday gift, started painting the hull so why not start the log?

I know I started a revell Constitution when I was a kid, but never finished it. I figured it was probably the smaller one, I didn't think my parents would buy me a 3 foot long model ship, and I didn't see myself having the means to buy the big one myself. So I ordered this kit with an amazon gift card from my sister in law. It's not the one I had... after looking into reviews and videos on YouTube I have determined that I somehow ended up with the 1:96 kit as a kid!! So I don't get to "finish the one I started ", at least not now, but I'm sure I'll still have fun building this smaller one...

IMG_3367.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I've posted, been busy with other things lately... A little more progress...

I plan on spraying the deck with a flat clear. No good hobby shops close to me so I'm working with Hobby Lobby's limited paint selection...

IMG_3366.JPG

Edited by SomethingIsFishy
Fixed picture

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm still here! I've made a little progress on this build... several months ago I pulled the kit out and installed the masts, then it went dormant again... a recent job change and move has given me more spare time, and a "man cave", so I'm back to work on this ship... at this point I've just started the rigging. It's really starting to look good! I'll probably get some pics up tomorrow...

My favorite vessel, go figure😍.  I remember fondly building this one and then the 1/96 version.  I have tucked away a Marine Models Connie, a solid hull kit from back in the day.  When I purchased it, I lucked up and got a piece of wood from the ship, during the last refit of her.  I will use this piece of wood in the build of the Connie.  Keep up the good work.

Rick

PS:  Have a piece of wood from the HMS Victory too.

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

I have this kit as well, got wood deck for her. Will invest in better cannons and rigging. Very likely buying the rope walk from Chuck.

What I will do, is to "create" ballast so she won't tip over. Probably using modeling clay.

But I  will certainly follow the remaining part of this log.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Ricky- that's really cool to have wood from the real thing!

Nirvana- I hope your build turns out nice! The upgraded details should make it look great!

I'm just building this one "straight out of the box". For me it's too small to worry about all the tiny details... I'm thinking about making the jump to wood for my next build, I've got my eye on Model Shipways armed longboat in 1:24...

37 minutes ago, SomethingIsFishy said:

Ricky- that's really cool to have wood from the real thing!

Nirvana- I hope your build turns out nice! The upgraded details should make it look great!

I'm just building this one "straight out of the box". For me it's too small to worry about all the tiny details... I'm thinking about making the jump to wood for my next build, I've got my eye on Model Shipways armed longboat in 1:24...

Good choice.  And Model Shipways has their own Connie too.  Will be watching for that longboat thread.

Rick

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

21 hours ago, RickyGene said:

Good choice.  And Model Shipways has their own Connie too.  Will be watching for that longboat thread.

Rick

I'll be ordering the longboat kit as soon as I get our new address straightened out with the bank so I can update PayPal... I will definitely start a build log for it!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, this build has been sitting untouched for way too long. At some point the kit box disappeared, so I was missing about half the sails and the stern boats. I didn’t know if I would ever get back to it…

I then stumbled across another kit on Facebook marketplace for $5. Seems like a pretty inexpensive quick way to get the missing parts and bring this build back to life… so I grabbed the kit and pulled the ship off the shelf in the basement. There was a bit of damage unfortunately- the top of the forward mast had snapped just below the top sail, but I was able to get it back in position without fouling up the rigging and a drop of CA held it in place…

There is a bit of a catch though… my ship has white sails, and the kit has tan sails. Obviously the ship won’t look good with half the sails a different color. Hopefully I can remove the white sails without causing too much damage… (I do like the tan sails better, I think they look more realistic).

So this ship is back on my “active build” roster!

Congratulations.  Your Constitution turned out really nice.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat