Restoration of Bassett Lowke "Albertic" by michael mott - FINISHED - Scale 1:100

That looks really good Michael; not much left now.  More room in the workshop - any ideas of what is next?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

any ideas of what is next?

Something small!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Obviously I still have projects to finish, my cutter and skipjack and the buzzards bay 14 I will likely work on one of these.

A bit more progress this morning.

IMG_8862x1024.jpg.682737520bc833a92f6a8e9767e55266.jpg

IMG_8862x1024.jpg.682737520bc833a92f6a8e9767e55266.jpg

IMG_8870x1024.jpg.ca2f056d275a7e3eaa5b879378fbc398.jpg

I will be picking up a new camera on Monday so the blurry section will be gone.

Some of the lifeboats are a little rough but they were not damaged so they are back with only seat repairs. I have a few boats on the starboard side that need a little attention as well. Monday I will finish up the lines for the rest of the lifeboats. One thing that i find a little frustrating is that the way the lines are rigged for the lifeboats is illogical and incorrect but it is how they are rigged so I have to follow the original method.

Also on Monday I shall replace the rectangular ports that are set into the green felt laying on the base.

Michael

IMG_8864x1024.jpg

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

I just finished reading through this thread... It reads like a novel, but one that is full of useful information and tips on model construction and restoration. 

Thank you very much both to Michael for starting this thread and documenting everything so well, but also to the other skilled folks who have contributed. As someone who has just found this forum hoping to find information on model restoration, this is very heartening. 

I look forward to seeing this project come to completion! 

Beautiful work, Michael - 

Comparing the current photos with the first ones, the amount of work, and its quality, are stunningly apparent.

Congratulations.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

On 7/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, cog said:

May I inquire as to the type of camera you will be acquiring ... (must be DSLR ... )

Actually I was looking at a Canon SX730 Which is a decent little camera.

On 7/14/2018 at 10:10 PM, czabel said:

I just finished reading through this thread... It reads like a novel, but one that is full of useful information and tips on model construction and restoration.

Thank you for your kind remarks...name?

On 7/15/2018 at 9:14 AM, shipmodel said:

Comparing the current photos with the first ones, the amount of work, and its quality, are stunningly apparent.

Thanks Dan, I have been admiring your own work on these typs of ships.

The camera isn't in yet...oh well.

Today was probably one of the most frustrating days working on this model and it was all to do with the port side dockside companionway hanging off the side. The chains to the steps was snapped and missing a section fortunately I had some tiny model railroad chain.

setting the new hooks was an exercise in telling me that I would not have a good time rigging something like the young America... I take my hat off to you Ed.

IMG_8887x1024.jpg.02823153ec15bb2ed13aae9a0f09e961.jpg

IMG_8890x1024.jpg.9cd8a2d5d94e393759236d8a32a7d864.jpg

IMG_3739x1024.jpg.4a1589c20d0696f9046bb1c3853d64b9.jpg

The hooks are ugly in my view, but they look like the ones on the starboard side, which are original. and this little job only took me about 3 hours of bits shooting off into the aether and fiddling with stuff that was already attached and other bits that were loose.

A more calm and easy job was replacing the square ports.

IMG_8878x1024.jpg.d4a34c139a0aac3bef934b80f2f532be.jpg

IMG_8877x1024.jpg.0e872d2dfc95102171733be86e21c329.jpg

IMG_8884x1024.jpg.cd91c4b2f77b7c2fdbc64f2d20237242.jpg

So basically the port side is finished other than a bit of buffing here and there.

Tomorrow I can finish the seats on the starboard lifeboats, and all that is left is to raise the flags.

Michael   

A mu

Hi John,

This diagram shows how the fall lines for the lifeboats are tied to the davits, it does not make sense to me but I could be wrong in my assessment of course. If faced with a situation on a real boat I,m not sure that I would be comfortable undoing the lines with anyone in the lifeboats.

5b4f5f85504a0_Lifeboatfalls..jpg.be71102c762416cc185e0e43f4172cd2.jpg

Cheers Michael

Somehow, the diagram appears to be correct in principle. However, there should be enough line to lower the boat into the water. I have also seen a lead-block fixed somewhere at the bottom of the round so that the fall would clear the boat, when swung out. The stay on top of the davits should be just that long to keep the blocks above the attachment points in the boat. There was either a ring-bolt cast onto the bulbous end of the davit, or there was a piece of sheet-iron fiddled onto the swivveling pivot for the blocks, with a hole punched for the stay. These are the arrangements I have seen in real life, it could have been different, of course, on the ALBERTIC.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks for the feedback on the lifeboat falls. The port side is now done and this evening i turned the ship around on the bench in order to work on the Starboard side.

A few new shots testing out the new camera. I also made a replacement navigation light for the starboard. it is not a perfect match and this was the third one, and they are on opposite sides so I am going to use it.

015x1024.jpg.408ddb6e7bb91e0ba18c324839bdd685.jpg

003x1024.thumb.jpg.93ed8e369d7b636b00df74f0ae8b77eb.jpg

008x1024.jpg.f5928c7dfb50f550a8a4244b12437906.jpg

It is nice not having the fuzzy area the Camera has a few idiosyncrasies that are different from the old Canon PowerShot A 640 But i will get used to it.

Michael

Mott old boy, a fine job on the ports, nav. lights, davit blocks and life boats.  The "Albertic" is almost complete I see. I am sure you will go into a state of post restoration shock when it's done. You will find yourself wandering around that empty spot where the ship was for days. I might have to fly up to Edmonton again, this time with a bottle of 18 year old single malt to help debrief you!

Cheers,

Colin

p.s. I went up to Qualicum Beach last week to take some pics of the Princess Marguerite I restored a few years back and thought of how more detailed your restoration of the "Albertic" was compared to this. (I still have to have it returned to my shop to finish the upper railings, lines to blocks on davits and boats, rigging, funnels and final finish on wheel house & top deck etc.).

IMG_1434.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

Edited by colinmaclock

23 minutes ago, Calhoun Zabel said:

Why not make a second for the port side, so that they do match?

Gauntlets are so easy to fling around..... I know I have tossed some myself.

I went to the store today to purchase the wood for the shipping crate, I was bit shocked at the increase in the cost of plywood.

Thanks for the kind words Druxey and Colin. Colin I would have to sit and watch you drink the single malt because I do not touch Alcohol anymore. maybe when I'm 95 I'll take up a dram or two.:D

Michael

Great progress Michael, the end is indeed in sight :)  

Can I ask what that 'pencil' is in the pen that you show in the photo of the nav lights?  Is it some sort of crayon or paint pen?  May be the exact sort of thing I am looking for (as a suggested solution) to painting on the brass plates on the ship's wheel.

cheers

Pat

Hi Pat, the pen is in fact an old mechanical drafting pencil. I was given a friend's fathers small side desk with all sorts of leads for the early drafting pencils. I have enough to last a couple of lifetimes. In among the leads were some coloured ones probably for mark ups and changes I have a couple of reds and a blue, yellow, green and brown.

IMG_3782x1024.jpg.3a3b25944dfef68f3b63cd2581d0d300.jpg

IMG_3778x1024.thumb.jpg.07f8e6d5f3fcf630aaf23544e0f5ebd3.jpg

The next pics show the drawers with the inserts lifted off to reveal more leads stacked below.

IMG_3780x1024.jpg.4ee2761a342c4e513773e18d0aea6a54.jpg

IMG_3775x1024.jpg.3370de848dc1f4f35be2efb83dbb9b30.jpg

IMG_3777x1024.jpg.c1e2ff431f14c50ffff5516fa731b891.jpg

IMG_3781x1024.jpg.a78c9420d6cc7c28e554894c7db7abf0.jpg

If anyone needs a particular size Ill have a look, most of them are the typical 2H 3H 4H 6H and an assortment of other sundry pens and pencils.

Michael

Second photograph, "pencils" on the left, are those for lithograph? Nice assortment of leads and "holders"(?) From the latter I got some from my grandfather, but for some reason I use mostly the modern ones ... (from 20 odd years ago ;) )

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

2 minutes ago, cog said:

Second photograph, "pencils" on the left, are those for lithograph?

Good morning Carl, I do not know the answer to you question. They do fit into the mechanical pencils though.

Michael

Thanks Michael, I am assuming you used the coloured leads for the Nav Lights rather than paint?  Seems to have done a very nice job.  

That assortment of leads will last you a lifetime; the coloured ones could indeed be very useful for markups.  I like the liftouts etc for the drawers also; given me a couple of ideas there :)

cheers

Pat

I've used a mechanical pencil for many years for drafting and for marking out. One can keep an extremely fine point on them, and hence a very thin line. This minimizes error, particularly when fitting joints. I generally use 4H leads. The pencils are still available at places like Michael's (U.S. and Canada) and one can still find boxes of harder grade leads on eBay. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Carl I will check if they are greasy this morning. Yesterday I did manage to cobble together the shipping crate carcass. The model will slide in from the end with some straps to pull it back out. there will be felt runners along the sides with a capture at the inside end and lock down felted cleat at the opening end.

IMG_3770x1024.jpg.09f894a62b618815e9684249985386b2.jpg

IMG_3772x1024.thumb.jpg.d5712b12c89a5c6f13d17baedbb164c0.jpg

Michael