Treenaling....wish I hadn't done this

In reference to Brian's (Gunther) post, .021= #75 size drill and .031= #68

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Treenails aside, if you go down the replank route consider looking into adding some features. Look up scarfing, deck plank taper, margin planks, king planks, stepping. It is a lot more work, but if you don't do it you'll regret it once you find out about it :)

It may have been mentioned earlier, but also look up plank stepping. The particular step varies depending on the size and era of ship you're building. It may be a joint every 4, 5th, etc. There are also rules in most these threads (again particular for your build) for the scale maximum plank length.

Edited by Silkjc

Hello. Hope am not too late. Check this for butt end patterns

http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php    Look for article: Simple Butt-Shift Deck Planking

And for the treenails, if you must absolutely have them, drill the holes (properly aligned) with the smallest drill you have, or as someone said, just punch them with a sharp point. I use a drop of Boiled Linseed Oil (maybe can use some other stuff like varnish, but I have never tried it) on a piece of very fine sand paper, sand over the holes. The dust will mix with the BLO filling the holes and leaving a very subtle spot of the same wood.

Hope this helps

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Only on brand new decks of ships that used Treenails are they nearly invisable If you go to any museum that has a wooden ship of age out side you will see many of the treenails with dark rings around them it shows age. Some times not a bad thing,unless its GRAY hair on my 55 year old scalp.

Andy 

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

If you are going to weather your treenails, you will need to weather the decks and every other thing on the model.  You can't have new decks and old treenails.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I just ordered of bunch of fly tying supples.

Good! You'll have something to do while your glue dries ;)

Replank...It's just wood...and the journey is in the build and time spent doing what you love. This is your first ship, I assume there will be more. The experience you gain from doing this right will make the next one better.

This hobby, passion for these ships, requires a great deal of humility. A "Redo" is not a failure, it's another opportunity to get it right...something life rarely affords us.

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

A "Redo" is not a failure, it's another opportunity to get it right...something life rarely affords us.

Bill

Truer words were never spoken!!!

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Mr. bigcreekdad everyone does stuff that they are unhappy with.  It is part of the learning process, whether it is your first or 91st model.  The key is to learn and enjoy the ride.  You are lucky that it is easy at this point to rectify the problem by sanding and applying a new veneer of planking.  Consider making a template of the deck and assemble the planks off the model.  That way you can take a straight edge and align the treenails properly.  Or leave them off completely because of the scale you are working in.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Les here. After reading the responses I will add my two cents worth. Replank the deck.  RE: Frank Mastini, use a small nail or pin to make two identical indentations at the corners of each plank. Sand the deck with fine sandpaper; the sawdust will collect in the indentations. Finish with varnish. The sawdust will darken simulating nail heads. Re sand with fine sandpaper. This should help.