Brazzera by Seventynet - FINISHED - MarisStella - scale 1:32

Greetings shipbuilders,

Following is my build log for the Brazzera from MarisStella. I think it will be rather short, at least for the beginning because I didn't take many pictures and because it seems to be well covered by Zoran in his news from MarisStells log and Don in his Trabaccolo log. The Trabaccola is very similar - the Brazzera is a bit shorter and has only one mast.

This kit has beautifully prepared materials. It is not an easy kit to build but I am enjoying it. If anyone has comments or suggestions I very much welcome them.

Regards, Ian

post-19382-0-90608200-1477521321_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-90380200-1477521322_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-01919200-1477521324_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-97499300-1477521324_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-01917300-1477521326_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-99000200-1477521326_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-98732200-1477521327_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-87650200-1477521328_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seventynet

This is where I was a few days ago. Floor boards laid, inside planking completed, bow and stern floors constructed and just starting the panelling of the fore and aft bulkheads. Fiddly work. Sanding is very challenging - and nuts to the advice that you should sand before you lay the boards, I just don't see the point. Sanding is only required after you lay the strakes and flooring to flush them up.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I milled oak for all the floors. The bilge stringers that came with the kit were oak, not mahogany as advertised in the manual - unless I somehow misplaced them :) . Lots of old oak house flooring lying around so it was no problem to extend the theme to the build flooring. Besides I really didn't like the limewood that came with the kit, it had a green tinge to it (no reflection on the quality of the materials overall - really good). I like the colour of oak and found it generally easy to work with. Seemed to hold an edge pretty well.

Ian

post-19382-0-70900800-1477521737_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seventynet

Looks like a nice build Ian.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

And here we are right now. Fore and aft bulkheads planked, knees installed and ready to turn it over and start the preparation for the outer planking.

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-79303700-1477522855_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-81736100-1477522856_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking in Zoltan. I'm just giving the Victory a break for a while. I'm loving your Sanata Maria. Please keep it coming.

Best, Ian

Thanks Michael. You are keeping me highly entertained with your many ongoing builds and your new restoration project. What a beauty that is!

Ian

Edited by Seventynet

Looking good Ian, a real nice start to a great kit. You are right in saying they are not easy but a lot of fun. Take your time and enjoy, if I can be of any help just shout.

Thanks Don, I will definitely be calling on you for the hull planking if you don't mind. I almost forgot I better throw some poly on the innards before I turn it over.

You can call anytime............and by the way Happy Birthday!!!!!!

Thank you kindly for the well wishes Don and Zoltan. Much appreciated.

Tried to sneak this one past me eh! :D

This looks like another good little kit, i like the way Marisstella design the way their stuff fits together :)

Good luck with your build :)

Happy birthday Ian! I really like how these MarisStella kits have interior detail as well as exterior. She is looking very nice!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes and well wishes everyone. Its been a few weeks but not hard at it weeks. I've added and shaped filler blocks for the entire hull. I won't defend using blocks between the first three and last three bulkheads at the bow and stern, except to say they were pretty easy to do. Balsa and less complicated curves make life simple. But really, the bulkheads are fairly close together so one could easily get away without them I used basswood for the stern and bow bulkheads and that took more time.

Anyway I am now ready to mark off the planks with the likely deluded notion that I can avoid drops and stealers. Stay tuned.

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-94064100-1479164713_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-80295100-1479164711_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-87699300-1479164712_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-75017600-1479164714_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-75882500-1479164715_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-83716500-1479164716_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-85721200-1479164717_thumb.jpg

Nice build Ian... looking good!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Bob, I'm going to be watching you carefully on the bow planking. I have the same sort of bluff bow. I just took a cruise through your endeavour build as you'll see from my likes.

Best, Ian

Frank thank you. Did you know that the Red Dragon line in your signature was not active? The only reason I mention it is that it is coloured blue as though it should be, or maybe you thought it was :).

Thanks Bob, I'm going to be watching you carefully on the bow planking. I have the same sort of bluff bow. I just took a cruise through your endeavour build as you'll see from my likes.

Best, Ian

Hi Ian

The bluff bow certainly makes the planking a bit easier as the amount needed to taper planks is shorter because the bend in them starts a lot further toward the bow :)

Ian;

Cute little boat. I like it. So I am pulling up a chair and observe.

You are coming along very well.

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Good to see you again Marcus. I will say that the materials in this kit are first rate, something I would not accuse our little catboat kit of possessing. But that's part of the fun of it. Your catboat is coming along beautifully.

Ian

Hi folks,

Just a very quick update because even though it is minor, it's the kind of thing that would dawn on me after I planked if I hadn't paid attention to the manual (and Don's Trabacollo example). You have to mark off 1.8 mm (ish) from the top of each bulkhead top surface to delineate the top surface of the first of two 4 mm hull planks to be laid. This forms the bottom surface for the scuppers and will be flush with the deck surface.

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-06527000-1479413352_thumb.jpg

Looking good Ian, You will be real happy with the filler blocks, they make the planking and especially the sanding so much easier. Good catch with the markings, you will learn(if you haven't already) to really trust in the plans a skill I am still having a problem with :(  :) . Nice work and have a good holiday.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mr. Ian,

this , what You have done to the last picture, is brilliant job ...

hope to see some more of this good build...  :)

Best Regards,

Zoran

Thanks for the prodding and encouragement Zoran and Don and others for the likes. Much appreciated. I wasn't going to post until I had finished planking the hull but given my slow pace I'll post now to show I'm actually still making some progress. I can't quite put my finger on why it is taking so long with this build but I seem to only be able to get a single strake on per day.

I have finished the top two 3 mm strakes and the subsequent four 5 mm strakes on both sides. I have spiled most of the stern planks and only a couple of the bow planks. The twist at the bow so far has mostly been manageable (and sandable) but I expect I will be spiling the rest of the way at the bow and the stern. Could I get away without spiling? Yes to this point but to achieve the more horizontal configuration that I am after I will have to spile the rest. So far I have needed stock widths of less than 30 mm but I expect this will increase slightly as I work my way to the keel. Here I thank Don for providing me with the wide walnut stock. :cheers: Thanks Don!

All of the planks completed so far will be covered by wales and facia, the rest of them to the keel will not be covered.

Once I mark off the rest of the hull (3 or 4 strake bands) I will repost in case someone wants to follow me down this path.

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-87535000-1481348728_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-59540900-1481348734_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-14645200-1481348741_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seventynet

Hey Ian, a very fine job on the planking so far. I think it was a good decision of yours to go with the shorter planks rather than full length ones, mush easier to work with. The next few strakes are a little tricky but looking at your work so far I can see you will have no problems. 

Thanks very much Don and others for the likes.

I have marked off the starboard side into 4 bands each of which will receive 5 planks. I will mark off each band just as I start planking in it. I think this plan is a bit of a departure from what others might have done so I hope it works. My objectives are threefold: have the planks lie in a more horizontal manner, that is, minimize the sweep up the stem; achieve a uniform plank width at the stem and stern; and eliminate drop planks and stealers. The penalty of course is that almost all of the bow and probably stern planks will have to be spiled therefore significantly increasing the time it will take me to complete this operation. Anyway I'm probably nuts to try this but unless someone talks me out of it that's the way I'm going to go.

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-32700900-1481567563_thumb.jpg

Coming along nicely Ian.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Mr. Ian ...
... looks really good .. the belts are very good done (as the photos show)...
This planking looks promising, the interior is very pretty and clean ... A very nice build is going on here ...

... These five first planks are very important for the wales, this will be seen later ...

Best Regards,

Zoran

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Michael and Zoran and others for the likes. Very much appreciated. As far as overall progress I have not come very far in the last month or so. A half hull is it. :( But I will not be in the shipyard much over the next month so I thought an update would be appropriate.

In summary, I spiled all bow and stern planks. In doing so I achieved a relatively level/horizontal planking line and avoided stealers or drop planks.

Best, Ian

post-19382-0-00726000-1483380782_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-15434600-1483380783_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-24844400-1483380784_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-66892100-1483380786_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seventynet