Brazzera by Seventynet - FINISHED - MarisStella - scale 1:32

Thanks so much Zoran, that is a very nice explanation. I have designed the respective hinges and will give them a try.

Ian

She looks great Ian, very nice work. You will be doing rigging very soon, I must get get to work soon as you will be passing me!!

Looking great! I find it interesting that the bowsprit sits to the side rather than center. I wonder where that concept came from.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks Elijah. I wish I could answer your question but I can't. i can say however that it is not all that unusual. I wonder if it would present some asymmetric helm effect. Hey your gunboat is looking sweet. Keep up the good work!

ian

Hello Elijah... this is a good question :) ...

At the Brazzera, Trabaccolo and Pelig (old type) the bowsprit sits to the right side, not to the center... This is the tradition and it gets out of the need to maneuver in small harbors... There were many of this ships at the same time. The bowsprit removes very easily an gives much more space to maneuver the ships within the narrow place... Those ships were piled up side by side , 5-10 of them and this was not possible with the bowsprits on, so the bowsprit was removed at that time ...

The cap (figurehead) is in the middle, so the bowsprit is at the right... I guess those were the  reasons why this is like this ... The other very important reason is a long tradition …

Regards, Zoran

• 3 weeks later...

Good Day,

I guess this will be my second to last post for the Brazzera. Almost done. I thought I'd try out some natural daylight shots for a change. Only small tidy up things to complete: cleat and arrange all lines, add oar locks and oars, cathead block system and a stand.

Ian

port aft deck 1.JPG

port almost 1.JPG

port bow almost 1.JPG

port bow almost 2.JPG

port deck almost 1.JPG

star aft deck 1.JPG

star bow almost 1.JPG

star bow almost 2.JPG

Very nice!  Great job.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

The natural lighting looks very nice on her! I can't wait to see her finished!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks Doug. I wanted to ask you about Bluenose kits. I might be able to get my greedy hands on a piece of the planking that they just used on the refit. Angelique I believe.

Ian

Thanks Ross. If you do go for one you won't be disappointed. Zoran from MarisStella is very helpful as is Don who is just finishing up his Trabukolo, the Brazzera sister ship. 

Ian

16 hours ago, Seventynet said:

Thanks Doug. I wanted to ask you about Bluenose kits. I might be able to get my greedy hands on a piece of the planking that they just used on the refit. Angelique I believe.

Ian

Cool - I had never heard of Angelique before (thanks to Wikipedia I am now an expert ;))

Sounds like it will be pretty difficult to work with (hardness) but it would be awfully appropriate to include in a BNII build.  I hope you'll doit!! How large a piece do you think you'd get?  Will you mill it yourself?  

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Doug,

The piece, if it is still available to me, is about 4 feet long and about 3*3 inches. I think it would be enough. I've never worked with it but the one thing that struck me immediately was how resinous it appeared. That may be more of a challenge than the hardness. You need to tell me what kit I should buy:)?

Ian

That is a lot of wood - your can do a lot with that! 

I wouldn't presume to tell you which kit! There don't seem to be many kit versions.  I've only seen the Artesania Latina Bluenose II (and that was an old version of the their offering) and a 1:100 scale kit from Billings.  The AL kit was fine.  The BB kit isn't for a serious build in my opinion (it was a fine starter boat for me).

Then of course there are the Bluenose kits but if your wood is from the II refit then that's likely where yo'll want it to end up?  Are you considering a scratch build?  

Doug

That gives me a good place to start Doug. I am not thinking of a scratch build at this stage, but who knows, I'm really just dreaming. I need to finish other things in the dock first. 

Ian 

I just found your update Ian and it is very impressing. I see you decided not to go with sails, I like the looks of it and may now have to re-think my plans of installing sails;). I was hoping to have mine finished by end of August but now end of Sept is the next target. The rigging looks great. I knew you were going to pass me!! 

Hi Rony, thanks for looking in. I used Minwax Wipe on Poly (clear satin) on all surfaces.

Ian

Hi Don,

The only reason I will pass you is that I have much less rigging with only one mast and I am not putting the sails on. Just a word on that though. The pre-stitched sails that come with the kit appear to be first rate and if I had the time I would put them on in the furled position. But I will be out of the shipyard for quite a while starting on Saturday and I don't feel right about making my daughter wait for this boat any longer. At least that's my best excuse.

Best, Ian

2 hours ago, mrcc said:

Yes Ian, I was going to do Danish or Tung Oil but your finish with Wipe on Poly is stunning...

Did you wipe or brush it on?

I quite like it. I always wipe it on except where I can't get into corners. I use the oil base WOP. But beware, all glue must be absent.

Sorry Rony, I can't answer your question. I like the poly because it is tough and protects the wood well.

I bought the kit directly from Maris Stella in Croatia. They are an advertising sponsor of this site. The link appears to be broken but you can easily do a search. I think I should mention that it is definitely not a kit for beginners...just in case.

Ian