Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner by Chris V - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24

I selected this kit due to large scale, complex enough but not overwhelming, price and it's a fair looking boat. Started a few days ago with these two books and ordered the kit and an electric plank bender this morning.
My biggest problem has always been a lack of patience. I have to 'get r done.'. We'll see how it goes. Where is that darn FedEx guy anyway?

post-26614-0-74239300-1477584639_thumb.jpg

Completed build: 1:24 Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner by Model Shipways

"The Only Difference Between Ordeal and Adventure is Attitude". Bob Bitchin AKA Robert Lipkin

OK, I'm perplexed already. Bearding line and cutting the rabbit. What why how when where etc. Can someone help with this or point me to a YouTube video? Thanks

"The Only Difference Between Ordeal and Adventure is Attitude". Bob Bitchin AKA Robert Lipkin

Chris,

First of all a Warm :722972270: 

There is quite a few members of MSW living close by you.

My son lives in Lynnwood, and a friend of mine in Woodenville.

Take a look at this topic where the bearding line and rabbet is easily explained.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks all, I'm beginning to get the picture. I'm still concerned about chiselling with one shot to get it right. The obvious answer is to practice on a piece of scrap. Living in a small apartment and not having done a wood model in quite some time, I have none. Guess I'll have to go buy some scrap. Yikes! In the meanwhile, I'm waiting for my ship to come in. "The only difference between ordeal and adventure is attitude.". Robert Lipkin AKA Bob Bitchen.

Chris:

Use the piece of wood that surrounds the laser cut keel piece as the "scrap" it is the same thickness and is big enough to allow practice.

Did you know that BB rode a Gold Wing to (at least some) of the Harley events he covered for the magazine?  Ran into him at both a Harley meet and at the Newport RI Yacht Show (when he covered it for Attitudes and Latitudes) and stopped at our tent.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I tried to post this in the Model Shipways forum but it's locked. I delt with them a few years ago on an airplane kit and was given awesome customer service. I called them to buy another spool of thread as I either ran I out of misused it, I don't remember. anyway they insisted to send me another and shipped it free. Now I have left 3 voicemails and 2 e-mails all with no reply. I'm just trying to get my tracking number. They got the money and I don't think they charge your card until they actually ship. This is so out of character given my previous experience with this company. Wondering if everyone is OK in Florida. OK, just talked to them on the phone. Everything is fine and package is due at my house this Saturday. Nice folks there, maybe they were just on vacation or something. Please disregard this post except I stand behind my comments about their good customer service.

Edited by Chris V

My Ship Has Come In! After a thorough and exhausting inventory, there are only 3 lone items missing, 8 yds of thread, 1 dowel and 1 piece of lumber. Not bad and confidence is high that Model Expo will ship them out to me lickety split after I call them Monday. Fortunately, I'll not need them for a while. Now to lay out and study the plans then hit the book. I may take out a chisel tomorrow.

post-26614-0-47995900-1478392828_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris V

Chris:

Check out the rope Chuck sells at Syren Ship Model - so much better than the stuff from the kit.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Chris:

Check out the rope Chuck sells at Syren Ship Model - so much better than the stuff from the kit.

Kurt

So true!

I am using the ropes from Syren for my longboat.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Holy smoke. I knew I stayed up late last night given we got back the hour of sleep we lost in the Spring. I'm not very good with a chisel and sanding would take forever but the hobby plane made quick work of all the carving. The keel lines up perfectly and the bulkheads are much better than I expected, nearly acceptable! Looks like I'll have a little sanding to do at the deck to keel join.

post-26614-0-61275900-1478498047_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-66337800-1479677181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris V

Chris,

Those bulkheads has very little space between them. Looking good!

Respectfully

Hi Chris:

Per's right - there is little space between the bulkheads! But I think you'll find that this makes fairing and planking quite a bit easier. I built this kit a couple of years ago and it still stands out as one of my very favourite builds - lots of fun and at a large scale that allows for some interesting detailing. Looking forward to seeing yours come together and happy to answer any questions you might have as you go through the build (if I can remember!)

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I don't know, for a first time I think it's going pretty well. A little fill here, a little file there, the plane seems to be the most useful tool in the box. I'm happy anyway but now it's time for bed as I have to work tomorrow. Retirement looms just above the horizon, a bit less than 14 months...

post-26614-0-91707600-1478498593_thumb.jpg

Minor setback. I had 4 rows of planks on one side and 5 on the other when I discovered they seemed way to narrow at the bow. Come to find out I took the measurements from the wrong view. Took them from side view as apposed to buttock view. Bought some new wood at the local hobby shop as I will not hold Model Expo responsible for my mistake. Cut and sanded them all off best I could and have 2 rows back on each side. Looks much better now. Progress not as fast as I thought but positive progress nevertheless. Hope to have at least 2 bands on by Sunday night and will post a couple of pictures, good or something to be desired at that time.

Some progress. A band done and started on C. Garboard, broad strakes and stealers in. These compound curves are proving to be a real challenge, took three tries to get the first broad stake almost right. Will still take some filling and sanding but I think the end result will prove up. I couldn't do these compound curves without first soaking the wood and then steaming with the electric plank bender.

post-26614-0-27969500-1479063503_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-61739900-1479063681_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-55251600-1479063822_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris:

Are you following the planking expansion that ME provides as a plan sheet with this kit? So far your planking looks good, but when I was reading about your woes earlier on, I wondered if you were following their scheme or spiling the planks on your own....

Where the plank edges are exposed, you should use a scalpel blade (#10 x-acto) to "take the edge off" and then sand liberally to get a nice smooth hull. Keep on going my friend!!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I'm using the plan sheet as a general guide but it's not exact. Probably due to my inexperience and amateurish techniques. I laid out the band I'm working on with a tick strip on the bulkheads but even then some adjustment is necessary. I like the 'knock the edge off ' idea and will try that before sanding, filling and sanding again. I have 1 strake to go in C Band on starboard and 2 on port but I may be done for the night. Seahawks are on, dinner almost ready and then 60 minutes with our next president that I don't want to miss. (That's not political, it's current events). PS. I'm almost certain to win an eBay auction for a rotary tool set from MS in the morning and will order the paint set at the same time.

Edited by Chris V

Seahawks won and I got Band C done. Time for an adult beverage - maybe a Starbucks - maybe not...

post-26614-0-89732800-1479101851_thumb.jpg

Chris that planking looks very nice.

And the Seahawks Patriotso game a thriller.

Respectfully

Thinking ahead here. I have decided to weather the Shipways for a display base. It seems that 'Weather-it' is no longer available but the guy at the train store told me how to make it. This will be a new boat built in a yard ready for launch but the Shipways will be old. Sails would obviously not be hosted but the main and spanker may be bent on and furled. I haven't decided that far out yet. The question I have today is about the deck. Varnished teak looks nice, especially on a model, but in practice is unrealistic and dangerous. Wet varnish is like ice. Most teak is left natural and takes on a weathered appearance. On a new boat there would not be too much weathering, only a year or two during construction. So, to leave it natural (by using my homemade weathering stain) or to varnish for aesthetic appeal - that is my question for the day. Thought and ideas strongly encouraged. Thanks

Chris,

Micro-Mark has such products.

Take a look at this page.

Respectfully

Chris

I just found your log late last night.  I love working in this scale and am happy to follow along as you look into and solve a myriad of problems unique to the larger size. I am a learner and that is the most rewarding part I find in this new trade.   I am currently scratch building Bluenose at the 1:24 scale and am just about to hit the wall as I get to start rigging.   i experimented yesterday to lash the anchor and had to tie a real bowline.  What size line matters, knots mater as do blocks and things.  I just got a seizing machine and plan to spend this next winter learning the new trade.

anyway I wanted to say hi and let you know I am following with much interest.

cheers 

Hey Dr. Per, I saw those products but for some reason continued to look for the familiar and ended up paying quite a bit more for the ingredients to make my own. Advantage is that I can get different colors and different effects. I plan to practice a bit this weekend.

Jond, happy to have you following along. I think you will find my reasons for choosing large scale in my first post on this thread. Rigging is the easy part for me having always been a knot head. I completely marlinspiked my last 1:1 boat and even did some custom work and splicing for a while when I worked at West Marine. I can recommend Ashley Book of Knots if you can afford it. There are also a few good videos on YouTube. I'm really looking forward to rigging. This is a simple boat so I will be able to do quite a bit of detail. Should have planking the hull done this weekend. Will post pics after sanding and painting.

Hi Cris, Looking good so far. I chose this kit for the same reasons you did. The larger scale, nice looks and fairly easy build compared to some others. I'm just a little ahead of you and have not worked on it for a reward months. I plan to get back to it soon so maybe we can help each other along the way.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

More 'learning experiences' thank you Mike! I actually managed to sand a hole clear thru the $#@-ng hull trying to get that nasty bump out! I got it out alright.. now I have a nifty patch on the starboard aft quarter. Fixed! Decided to take a break from planking as the paint set will be here tomorrow and a bottle of varnish is included. I want to varnish the cap rails and everything above them but not the deck so I started to make the launchway. That's when I discovered that my plastic miter box cut a different angle every time. A quick trip to the hobby shop and $20 later and I have a new aluminum miter box and saw. My old saw of course would not work in the new box. Oh well, you can't have too many tools, my dining room table, the piano behind it and one kitchen chair cannot be found for them even though I have stopped to clean up several times. I hope this forum is not too boring, it's more of just a log for me anyway with pictures and a place to keep it where I can find it. Thanks for looking and a special thanks for the encouragement, suggestions and replies. Oh, here are two examples of my homemade stain. The deck will be the same as the cockpit sole and the cap rails. It's still a cockpit on a boat but now it's the flight deck on an airplane and dykes are now diagonal cutters! Ah to be politically correct sometimes vacuums....

post-26614-0-19026100-1479680971_thumb.jpg

post-26614-0-14506600-1479680982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris V

Worked all Thanksgiving weekend then got sick. Haven't done much in a few days. The next step is the rail around the deck with stantions, precision cutting, angles and more compound curves. I find myself procrastinating to start this and don't know why. It's just one more little piece at a time. Maybe I'll get back to it tomorrow or this weekend. It can't stay like this forever on the dining room table.. The deck was a little adventure. My homemade stain had less than desirable results and the grey paint didn't thin to a wash. The first coat revealed every nook and cranny necessitating more putty and then sanding that off. Ended up just painting it. I keep telling myself that this is a learning experience and a practice boat but I'm not exactly thrilled with my skills at this point and I tend to focus on every little imperfection. Still, from a couple of feet away, it looks pretty good to me and the neighbors are impressed and keeping track of progress.

post-26614-0-80826400-1480543076_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris V