HMCSS Victoria 1855 by Banyan - 1:72

You are getting better and better, Pat ! Just to put on my 'know-all hat': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutta-percha

This rigging warrant is a find we all dream of, when we are researching a ship. The last war, floods and neglect due to lack of interest sadly destroyed so many records in my home country ... particularly the pre-1900 navy is not very well documented, not speaking of merchants ships.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Very nice work on tiny pumps, Pat.  Also that rigging document is a real find.  I look forward to seeing that work.

Cheers,

Ed

Thanks all for the likes and comments. Druxey, Wefalck and Ed, yep I was so happy to find that as it will really help settle a lot of my rigging queries; now if I could only locate what happened to ship plan drawings.  Thanks for the encouragement also, still a long way to go to produce small 'clean' items though - the extra practice in making these several times will improve my techniques I hope ;) 

Thanks for the link Eberhard, I had found that, and some useful sales brochures that helped also.  I have yet to determine how these hoses were stowed, but I am thinking in a rack on the back of the ER skylight (with the 'L' crank handles for the pumps).

There are a few queries arising from transcribing the Rigging Warrant into a spreadsheet which I will post here (queries that is) in the near future in the hope your experience will help me resolve them.  I have to transcribe the document as I was only allowed to take photos (no flash) of the Warrant and they are too unwieldy to work with. besides the Spreadsheet will allow me to value add to the document.  I will do that on a second copy though so that I have a word-for-word transcription.

Patrick, plenty of room for a deck chair - nice sunny climes here usually so you can work on a tan at the same time :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

those tiny bits of detail are adding up fast!   when they are all together,  you'll have one decked out deck ;)    very nice!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks guys; appreciated.

cheers

Pat

Nice research work, Pat. What a find!

Beautiful fine work on those tiny pumps. Looking forward to the PE.

Sometimes time apparently missed from modelling turns out to be better used put into research.

Steven

Thanks Steven; yep, I have some real gains this week finding some useful stuff in the records. 

cheers

Pat

Hi folks a small update.  These only stand 11mm tall and the thicker looking handles only 0.8mm - may change the handles as they look a little too thick but were supposed to be more substantial for two men to operate it.  The downton pumps are assembled with one dry fitted to the base/plinth n which it will stand on deck.  The next thing is to clean them up a bit and a final coat of white.

Wishing all a very merry and safe festive season

cheers

Pat

1741233873_DowntonPumpsPainted_Back.thumb.jpg.5427ad37c8e748a739e20a5de71d13f2.jpg

745828767_DowntonPumpsPainted_Side.thumb.jpg.5326256d77706ed9980da63a2686af0e.jpg

Have a great holiday season, Pat.  Pumps look good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I know they are a mere 11 mm high, but my eyes tell me differently ... such deceivingly good scaled pumps ... extraordinairy ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks all for the likes and comments; much appreciated.

I hope all had a very happy Christmas, and wishing you all the best in health, happiness and prosperity for 2019.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

pumps look great Pat........hope you and your had a super Christmas as well  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Denis; a great christmas thanks mate.  Wishing you and the family a happy and safe new year.

cheers

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Great result on the pumps Pat, and happy new year to you and yours.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Jason.

cheers

Pat

Pat...I revisited your log and I have to say I copied an image(Lat year) of your build when you just added the figurehead,,,,but failed to comment since.

You are creating very impressive work...fine, clean and accurate.  Very impressive for sure.

I fully enjoyed my revisit......Love your work.  Love the subject too.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Just saw the pumps pat they look pretty good to me. I'm guessing about 18 inches in real life that seems like a reasonable diameter.

And a happy new year to you and your family Pat.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Rob and Michael.  Many thanks for looking in and very kind comments.  Best wishes for the New Year to you all also.

cheers

Pat

Hi folks, another small update.  Now that I have the PE in hand I can progress on a bit; still waiting for the 3D parts (capstan and revised funnel).  I also had some laser parts cut for the engine room skylight as my attempts to make them kept breaking (stiles and rails) as the walls are only .6mm thick and the rails /stiles just .8mm.  They have come up OK considering the size. 

One of the reasons for lack of updates is that I had been busy drawing up all these part.  The two sheets of PE are 0.4mm (larger sheet) and 0.2mm.

292905074_PEforHMCSSVictoria.thumb.jpg.a34f81baea0555d37787f83e78bb368c.jpg

I am in the process of doing the glazing and have added the 'waffle' style ventilation louvres discussed earlier.  The louvers were made from 0.2mm thick brass sheet and folded and soldered to get the effect seen in the photo earlier - they look OK I think?  My biggest decision is whether to add another louvre in the front and after walls.  I show a blank and a louvre version in the photos, but have an additional one of each. 

My thoughts are to go for blank (no louvre) as I think there would have been adequate ventilation from the louvres and top pieces?  The reasoning is that the after wall would most likely have been used to store the firehose racks, and supplementary 'L' shaped handle for the Downton pumps (only shipped as required. 

976491283_ERSkylightLaserCutParts.thumb.jpg.efb5d832e53123e0d7ba8a858c2eed31.jpg    

697966621_ERSkylightPartsStained.thumb.jpg.85a474bdd1e7d5a0fd5f27d6baf46dff.jpg

230232074_ERSkylightPartsFilled.thumb.jpg.fcfe90c71a54c7db99854fc707a4fd69.jpg

I have started on the rod/bar grills for the top pieces with the parts shown before cleaning (one made, one unmade); the rods are only 0.6mm diameter.  These have since been blackened but I forgot to take a photo.  When the glazing in the top pieces have dried completely these will be glued over the windows / glazed parts.

433791407_ERSkylightGrillParts.thumb.jpg.c688ff2ad6bee194c06e1b907429f663.jpg

I have also made the bases for the pumps, and manufactured one of the two suction plate assemblies required.  The idea was that the connecting pipe(rounded/horseshoe shape) could be cross-connected to any one of three suction pipes (one to each major compartment/space).  The top end of the pipe ran underdeck between the pipe and this plate assembly.  I still have a 7" hose connection plate (single) to make which was the upper deck connection to the pump in the engine room (for firefighting) whereas the other two are for dewatering and transferring freshwater around the ship.  The wood looks rough but I am zoomed right in and actually looks very smooth to the eye.

832831458_HMCSSVictoriaPumpsandPelorus.thumb.jpg.68e95b1dc0f4e9d72aea45caafcd366c.jpg

The 'pelorus' has also been completed.  The 'hollow' look of the brass night cover for the compass is a trick of the light as I have painted that face silver to simulate the viewer.

These parts will be fitted once the engine room skylight has been fitted.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi Dave and Carl; thanks for looking in and comments.

Dave, I drew the base artwork marking what I needed as etched on the underside or upper side, showing where I need holes etc.  these were done to the required print/etch scale in TurboCAD and passed to the etcher who imported them and turned them direct into his 'negatives'.  This is a screen grab of wwhat I drew up.

image.png.23d3d287b9a2ce4bc11265de27efc2ca.png

Many thanks again for organising the lasercut for me; it has worked out well with the PE fitting very well.  Now to glue the assemblies together and add the 'dadoes'.

Carl, I finally caught up with a guy (Model Railroad community here in Melbourne) who had done some etching for my Endeavour and he did this job for me.  I do so little that it is not worth the added expense/complication of learning yet another skill. 

Still a bit more photoetch to be done for all the mast work etc, but that will come in due course :)  Most of this is for the Rigmaiden Lanyards, purchase winches etc.

cheers

Pat