Le Renard by Tompslattery - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Figure 4 almost has it.This is a light weight yard and as such, I'v a lift going from the yard tip, up through a block lashed to the mast then down to a belaying pin on the pin rail surrounding the mast (obviously this refers to each side). Which pin you use is dictated by ensuring the halyard doesn't chafe on any other lines.

Rick

20 hours ago, Rick01 said:

Figure 4 almost has it.This is a light weight yard and as such, I'v a lift going from the yard tip, up through a block lashed to the mast then down to a belaying pin on the pin rail surrounding the mast (obviously this refers to each side). Which pin you use is dictated by ensuring the halyard doesn't chafe on any other lines.

Rick

Thanks Rick. 

Current build: Le Renard

Last build: HMS Bounty Jolly Boat

• 2 weeks later...

Upper shrouds are rigged. 

had to get a little creative with the ship end of the bowsprit. If positioned sitting on the rail the angle of the bowsprit was pointing down, well as clashing with the pinrail. So it was glued under the railing.  An extra pin hole was drilled in the rail as the pin directly over the bowsprit clashed with the bowsprit. 

DFEE320C-AEDE-4C93-8F98-199DBABDC3AC.jpeg

94389FDC-0BFE-4FF6-AD29-31DCCC692BBD.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

If you're spacing them around 1 cm apart then you.ve only another 54 to go and around 200 + knots (depending on how many need re-tying! 😉 I usually manage around 10 ratlines each session, then my shoulders and eyes start protesting.

Looking good.

Rick

Edited by Rick01

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the shrouds. Had to redo the first ones I did as they had slackened. Relaxation of the thread?  Even after redoing, 1 of the first pair on the port side is still slack. 

B97F9B4E-2CC6-4315-9634-8E28F0FCFF71.jpeg

3C3B7581-0DE8-4BDA-B702-825A61F8CD9B.jpeg

Edited by Tompslattery
Grammar

Did you glue the mast in place? I've always left mine "free" and that's allowed a certain amount of adjustments to rigging tension. One thing I've noticed, the foot ropes for the main spar look to be hanging a little low. Remember that these would only be low enough for a man using them to lean over the spar at the waist, so really probably scaled down from around 1 metre. 

Rick

On 3/30/2021 at 11:11 AM, Rick01 said:

Did you glue the mast in place? I've always left mine "free" and that's allowed a certain amount of adjustments to rigging tension. One thing I've noticed, the foot ropes for the main spar look to be hanging a little low. Remember that these would only be low enough for a man using them to lean over the spar at the waist, so really probably scaled down from around 1 metre. 

Rick

Hi @Rick01

yes I epoxied the mast in, following what was described in Mastini’s ship modelling simplified. I did have tremendous difficulty trying to get the stirrups on the foot ropes to be even lengths. 

Rigged the bobstay the other day, no photo yet as my back started spasming when I was doing it. Another occasion where the plans where the plans were different in different locations. Needed a double block where a single block was specified earlier. 

I gave up on the rigging instructions fairly early on, grabbed my copy of "Rigging period fore and aft craft", followed the American Schooner illustrations and also found as many photos of the replica as I could to help work from.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Rick01 said:

Is it possible to tighten them a little? I know it's pretty labour intensive but the end result is worth the time.

Rick

Yeah they are only tied at the moment, no glue. I wasn’t sure how much sag they should have 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking good! One hint for your next build - with the blocks, try to sand the edges slightly to get rid of that square look. It's a real pain but it is worth it. Some people tumble them but I've never been good enough to make my own tumbling machine so it's a matter of gripping the block in fingers or tweezers and gently sanding the edges.

Rick

Been a productive week for ship building. Cause I’ve been doing it instead of other things I should be doing 😂

Very close to finishing, not fitting sails as my kit didn’t come with prefabricated sails and I can’t sew. Yard braces, rope coils, fitting the anchor and the boat to go. 

4D6C65D4-0023-4CA1-876D-04216F65E64C.jpeg

16127027-83D0-4DB6-BCE3-887AEB37DA20.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

21 hours ago, Tompslattery said:

After approximately 16 years I’m calling this finished

Congratulations!  That must feel good to put a bow on it and call it done.

Tim

Current Build:  Swift Pilot Boat 1805 (AL)

On Deck: Triton Cross Section, Harvey (AL), Falcon US Coast Guard (AL), Flying Fish (Model Shipways)