Chaperon by Papa - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Ron Gove

Actually, the stair support was floating. That is now fixed.

Completed the pilot house and stairway and attached. I didn't think that it made sense for the stove pipe to go through the roof in front of the door. So I moved it over to the opposite corner where it attaches to a small wood stove, not visible in the photo.  Also installed the stacks.  I still need to paint the shields at the base of the stacks and the stove pipe cap.

pilot house.jpg

14 minutes ago, pythagoras said:

Hi Ron,

Great job you have going there.  If you don't mind, I'll pull up a barrel, have a seat and join the gallery. I've just started my Chaperon last week, and looking forward to the voyage.

Pythagoras (tom)

Thanks. I started the log late in the build and it is kind of slapdash but I hope it helps. Blighty's build log has a lot more images if you need to see some detail.

Ron

OBTW, why "Pythagoras"? You don't happen to be a mathematician do you?

21 hours ago, pythagoras said:

Hi Ron,

A mathematician of sorts. I'm a retired high school math teacher from upstate NY. (34 year

Pythagoras (tom)

I have my PhD in mathematics, from Brandeis University (1972). I worked for many years in the NSA and later for private industry in the area of communications security. And as a visiting professor at GWU.  Been retired for about 10 years now.

Ron

Good grief--what was I drinking? I just discovered that i put the stern wheel support timbers on upside down last November. Must have had too many glasses of wine before getting to work. See the image below. The curved part should be down and the flat up.  Fortunately the glue did not adhere well to the varnish on the deck and I was able to remove them without damage and install correctly. The corrected support timber is below.

On a separate topic, I wish MS had done the profile plan sheets in scale. There are many items that have to be positioned by guesswork--for example the stern wheel!  I assumed the the "not to scale" drawing was proportioned correctly and some simple ratios between the actual model and the plans gave me a number that looks reasonable.

stern.jpeg

wheel support.jpg

There are 2 sets of rear stairway frames, part 114 P/S. I used the one on the right, never noticing the set on the left until just recently. The pair on the right matches the gap in the battens and the drawing on sheet 2. Has anyone else noticed this? There are no other stairs in the model.  Was this an error or what?

Ron Gove

two 114.jpg

I received the needed strip wood from Model Expo.  They are really great at supplying missing or broken parts.  Now waiting for the red paint to dry so that I can finish the paddle wheel. In the meantime I've started rigging the front boom.  The lines are very fine and don't show up well in the photo.

front boom.jpg

I got the stern wheel in place and am working on the rigging.  She is very close to being finished.  As careful as I was on the paddle wheel, it is a bit skewed.  I think I should have added the planks alternating on opposite sides to relieve stress. Anyway, it isn't noticeable. I was very unhappy with the look of the laser cut anchor decoration on the smoke stacks and ended up making one out of styrene and leaving it unpainted.

Ron

stern.jpg

bow.jpg

I don't recall the diameter of the wheel.  I think it was around 1" radius. I adjusted the diameter to fit inside the pilot house with what seemed a natural clearance.

The decks are varnished and I haven't had a gluing issue. Sometimes I scrape a bit of finish off if i am thinking ahead. The varnished also saved my butt on a couple of errors where I was able to remove a previously glued item. see an earlier post  (#42).

The plans show simulated bolts on the paddle wheel. There are a dozen per paddle and a dozen paddles. I couldn't face making 144 tiny u-bolts! so they are left off. I looked at some other logs and they also left off the bolts.

The instructions for Chaperon recommend that you attach the tie-down cables for the pilot house before adding the roof.  I did not do this. Now i am paying for it.  Threading a "rope" through the bracket under the roof and behind the decorations is not an easy task. Tweezers and lying the boat gently on her side is working, but it would have been so much easier to do it early on!.

Ron Gove

Something about these paddle wheelers that catch the eye. Congratulations on a job well done

• 6 months later...

got to the party a bit late :)  she's a very nice looking river boat Ron!   I have the King of the Mississippi waiting in the stash.....can't wait to start it.  nice clean build and paint work  ;)    very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

got to the party a bit late :)  she's a very nice looking river boat Ron!   I have the King of the Mississippi waiting in the stash.....can't wait to start it.  nice clean build and paint work  ;)    very well done!

Thanks Popeye. 

I see you live in Manchester.  I spent some time near there; went to UNH in Durham class of 1965.