Zeeschouw by petervisser - FINISHED - Billing Boats - Scale 1:22 - Small

A quick little update guys while the paint on the mast and spars are drying. The rudder minus the flag is finally finished. Boy, what alot of steps for finishing this one piece. Cutting out the rudder, laminating the strips of mahogeny, fitting the tiller, multi-layers of different colour paints and lacquer, fitting the pintles and gudgeons and aplying the decals. It took days and days! The decals were a bit challenging because I had not done any for many many years. They were applied and then I coated them with a few coats of varathane. They're not going anywhere!

Well here is the finished product and the rudder dry fitted to the transom...

post-2494-0-13928200-1393190098_thumb.jpg

post-2494-0-84221500-1393190125_thumb.jpg

post-2494-0-13370300-1393190146_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Unfortunately, Billing has decided not to market these kits outside of Europe. I purchased my kits in Holland

I will look for them when I go to the Netherlands in Sept/Oct of this year. Visit my mother and buy some Dutch naval books at the Rijks museum and Maritime museum.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Peter,

I just love this boat! Your doing beautiful work, that rudder came out so good. Keep those pictures coming I am really enjoying your build.

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Thanks for the encouragement and nice words guys.

Marc, the Amsterdam Maritime museum has a great selection of books. However, a few years ago, I tried buying some books there, but I could not actually enter the book shop. They had a counter person who would take the order and enter the shop to get it for you. I'm not certain if that's still the case, but you might want to think about the books you want before shopping there.

The weather outside is awful with snow and sleet today soooo, I'm thinking I have free reign to hobby today! This is our first snow of the year really, so not much to complain about.

Cheers guys.

Peer

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

on which Name is she paptized Peter ?

a great model !!

is it so that we shall not see her rigged with sails ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Funny you should ask Nils! I just put on her name boards and now she has a proper name. "IRENE".

I named her after my sister. The kit's name is "BIANCA" but I don't know anyone personally by that name so I decided "Irene" had more significance. Here are some pictures with the new name board.

post-2494-0-76271400-1393269651_thumb.jpg

post-2494-0-45197300-1393269669_thumb.jpg

Now I have to start work on the sails. I have put another coat of paint on the masts and they are drying in front of the gas fire. Billing has supplied a sheet with the pattern of the sails inked on them. However, the material is a bit too white and stiff. So I will use them as pattern pieces and use muslin cloth instead. I am hoping to get a sewing lesson from my wife who has a sewing machine and a serger. I will do a little experimenting and come up with the best solution. Stay tuned to this channel....

post-2494-0-23660900-1393269911_thumb.jpg

Nice Name for this Little gem Peter

and also the nameboard nicely done

I wish you the same success with the rigging and her sails

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I do my own sails......it's not too bad.   make a test one first to get used to the machine.    the rudder came out really nice.......such a wonderful job!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

With respect to the bookshops in both the Rijks and the Maritime: don't hope for too much if I were you. (I went there and was a bit disappointed)

The Maritime has a wonderfull library (free entry), but the bookshops in both museums tend to focus on 'tourists' mainly, not on interested geeks like us....

Jan

Marc, the Amsterdam Maritime museum has a great selection of books. However, a few years ago, I tried buying some books there, but I could not actually enter the book shop. They had a counter person who would take the order and enter the shop to get it for you. I'm not certain if that's still the case, but you might want to think about the books you want before shopping there.Cheers guys.

With respect to the bookshops in both the Rijks and the Maritime: don't hope for too much if I were you. (I went there and was a bit disappointed)

The Maritime has a wonderfull library (free entry), but the bookshops in both museums tend to focus on 'tourists' mainly, not on interested geeks like us....Jan

Thanks to both of you giving me a heads up. I have a list and will see what they have. Also I may just order some books from the publisher "De Bataafse Leeuw" and just have them shipped here.

But I won't expect much.

Thanks again.

Marc

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Attention zeeschouw fans... another minor update.

I have been working on the mast and its jewelry along with the other spars. Just a matter of staining, varnishing and painting really, but it does take time to put it all together. I also managed to make an athwartship traveller for the boom. Believe or not, I managed it the first try. I was certain it was going to take several attempts at getting the right bends at the right size. The flag is also flying! I used the flag supplied with the kit and am pretty happy with how it turned out.

So here are a few more pictures...

The flag flying from the the stern. I used some varathane to soak the material and then wrapped the flag around several dowels to give it some curves and life.

post-2494-0-72969700-1393545555_thumb.jpg

I used some scrap material to experiment with to find out what, and what not to do.

post-2494-0-51078700-1393545709_thumb.jpg

A shot of the traveller for the main boom.

post-2494-0-53334400-1393545790_thumb.jpg

A shot of the boat with the mast and spars ready for mounting.

post-2494-0-68153900-1393545853_thumb.jpg

My wife has kindly offered to sew the sails on her machine. She's awesome! They are a work in progress so I will wait to step the main mast until I can get the sail bent on. Stay tuned...

man!!!    your a lucky guy!   my admiral won't do it for me :huh: .........but I can agree with her,  it's my thing ;)   I don't mind playing  'Sally Seamstress"  for a while......it's kinda fun :D :D :D .   nice bit of progress you've made........the ship looks absolutely marvelous! the traveler {horse} came out great!   superb! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Yes Popeye, I am a lucky man. With my previous models I have hand sewn the sails, but they look a little unrefined. Passable, but they could look a little better. So this time I opted for some "professionally' sewn sails. I still intend to sew on a bolt rope which I can do myself. I enjoy sewing, but the machine is a little intimidating. Besides, if I am taught how to use it now, I will have totally forgotten how to do it again when the time comes. My next model won't have sails you see.

The model will now take a little hiatus while the sails are being sewn. And I return to work in a few days which takes me away from model building. Oh well, the end is clearly in sight.

Cheers,

Peter

you've made the first step........and many more beyond.   I see you finishing this fine ship  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Another little update before work is interrupted.

My wife has completed the sails. I have a bolt rope to attach still, but the hard part is complete. I am very happy with how they turned out so far and will have to make it up to her somehow. I'm sure she will fill me in on "how to" on this...

Here are the "before" and "after" sails.

post-2494-0-09461500-1393698884_thumb.jpg

The finished sails.

post-2494-0-91358800-1393698951_thumb.jpg

A close up of her handy-work.

post-2494-0-62696600-1393698999_thumb.jpg

A little teaser on the overall affect.

post-2494-0-84113800-1393699039_thumb.jpg

I teased her a little this morning, telling her that my next model will be the Cutty Sark which has about 20 sails to be sewn. Her response..."Well, I guess I'm going to give you some sewing lessons" in a matter of fact tone...

I'm thinking "bare poles" for that model.

Peter

now you did it........you were supposed to spring it on her later when you needed them :D :D    the sails look great!   I hope you made her an honorary member of your shipyard ;)    they are going to look super on the ship  :) :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Peter , what an exquisite little boat.  Same for the paint job. It looks cozy enough to live aboard in comfort.  :D

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

• 1 month later...

I have been busy in the sail loft sewing on bolt ropes to the edges of the sails. After my wife kindly worked her magic on the machine it was time for me to break out the needle and palm . Ok, I didn't need the palm...

Here are some pics of the progress. I have just the gaff sail to complete and then I plan on dying the sails an appropriate colour.

post-2494-0-95894800-1396460639_thumb.jpg

post-2494-0-20543100-1396460651_thumb.jpg

I hope to have the sails complete this week.

Cheers,

Peter

In that brown bath are the three sails that will adorn my model. I went to the fabric store for some fabric dye and was torn between the teracotta brown and the straight brown. At first I thought the plain brown would do, but then had a change of heart and bought the teracotta. I ended up using both because the sails didn't go as dark as I wanted.

I will leave it in the bath for another half hour and then give them a rinse. Anyway here is a picture of the first part of the process...

post-2494-0-22604700-1396636701_thumb.jpg

Peter

Well, here are the sails out of the bath and after a cold water rinse. I am very happy with them and the colour seems to make them come alive. I am now glad that I used both colours of dye, and I have achieved the colour I wanted. They now have to dry overnight and I am hoping to start the masting and rigging quite soon. Instead of many weeks to rig the Unicorn I am thinking a couple of hours for the zeeschouw. Instant gratification, as the saying goes.

post-2494-0-46498800-1396648217_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

They look terrific Peter, congrats  :dancetl6:   Waiting actiously for the final rigging.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

they look awesome Peter.......love the color!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Your sails are looking just like the real thing. If you look at the tjalks, zeeschouws, and other flat and round bottom boats in the Netherlands, their main sail is usually that color, a heavy brown canvas.

My neighbor does all my sails on her fancy computer controlled sewing machine. In return I advice her husband on what to do with his garden. I believe in bartering.

Overall, your zeeschouw, looks beautiful, the paint job, the lines of the boat and I look forward in seeing her completed.

Marc

Thanks for very kind comment gents. Today I hope to start the masting and rigging and will post some pics later today hopefully.

There is definitely some light at the end of the tunnel.I can almost taste the Heineken!

Peter

Okay, now the fun begins. I have been very anxious to get the spars up and the sails on. Now that all the components are prepped I can finally begin.

post-2494-0-82924400-1396720239_thumb.jpg

Well to start with, I had to mount the bowsprit. It comprised of a couple of components including a small support which helps secure the bowsprit, I am assuming. Although the kit did not suggest a bob stay, I decided to rig one anyway. It is for piece of mind and besides, it looks good!

Here are some pics of the progress...

post-2494-0-49078800-1396720779_thumb.jpg

post-2494-0-51660900-1396720790_thumb.jpg

Now, back to the boatyard for the main mast and gaff sail!

Peter