Le Soleil Royal by EJ_L - FINISHED - Sergal - Scale 1:77 - 1669 Version

Really nice work  with the lowers.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

Been building masts and have now topped out S.R.'s final height. None of them are glued in place yet, just dry fit and will be coming back down soon to allow for the rigging to continue. She is no doubt a very large model. :)

DSC_0376.JPG

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

looks great! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you all for the nice words and likes. This is always one of my favorite milestones on a build. To see her full height, even if it is temporary, really drives home the awesome size of these ships. Running the numbers on her, from keel to tip of the main mast she would be around the equivalent of a 19-20 story building. 

Next up, I will disassemble the masts and apply the wood finish to the individual parts. While that work is underway, I will start to cut and shape the yards. I bought some muslin cloth a few weeks ago to attempt to make sails, most of which will be furled but, depending on how they turn out, I may go ahead and set the top sails. While I've been kicking this idea around since the beginning, I have reached the point in the build where I have to make a decision so I make sure to rig her accordingly.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

E.J,

Super nice job serving the shrouds!  It's time consuming but much worth the effort.

Cheers

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you Michael. It is indeed time consuming though I have to admit that Chuck's serving machine has made it faster and far easier than trying to do it by hand. On that note, I know that the serving line would normally be the same color as the shrouds but, I wanted to accent this detail for better viewing of my friends and family who would not know to look for it otherwise.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Funny 

Yes Chuck's serving machine rocks as well as his ropes and blocks - as you know.

re: friends who would never know "anything" right or wrong about our hobby - I know  many of these kind folks, in fact I live with one hahaha.

The other one (great son) is finally off of my payroll living large in SF CA.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Just a small update. Yard construction has started. Needed to get them shaped and cut to length in order to measure for sails. Trying to finish the “dirty” work and get all the wood parts created and ready for rigging. 

D25DCA22-1C1E-4015-B306-2E80A9A48C6F.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 2 weeks later...

Tying ratlines. Slow progress but I’m gaining. :)

25EC4152-A7C2-4523-AA1A-10AFC30B3851.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

On 9/16/2019 at 2:38 AM, EJ_L said:

Just a small update. Yard construction has started. Needed to get them shaped and cut to length in order to measure for sails. Trying to finish the “dirty” work and get all the wood parts created and ready for rigging. 

D25DCA22-1C1E-4015-B306-2E80A9A48C6F.jpeg

Its fun shaping the yards  isn't it - getting them both the same shape each end.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

57 minutes ago, EJ_L said:

Tying ratlines. Slow progress but I’m gaining. :)

25EC4152-A7C2-4523-AA1A-10AFC30B3851.jpeg

Really nice on the ratlines  much neater than mine.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thank you all for the kind words and likes.

O.C., shaping the yards usually is a nice break from detail work into something simpler however, this time I ran into an annoying snag. My chuck on my mini lathe had one of the jaws get jammed up with some small bits of metal shavings. After several attempts to clean it out, I was forced to take the chuck apart and give it a thorough cleaning. Good in the long run but, not what I wanted to do at the time. I would have simply switched to the big lathe however, I had both chucks in use on it as well for a project that I did not want to dismount as alignment was critical. So I fell back on hand shaping. Broke out the trusty Lie-Nielsen hand plane to taper the ends and then sanded them smooth. Took longer but, got it done. Will add the various details to them as I get closer to needing them.

As for the ratlines, I actually don't mind tying them as it is really a very simple action. It's the several thousands of times you have to repeat tying a clove hitch that wears you down. Clamping the shrouds helps to keep the spacing and alignment and a good set of magnifying glasses combined with a couple pair of needle nose tweezers make the job go smooth. The only thing left is lots of patience....

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I cheat  with my ratlines  as I do a half knot at one end to start from then add a dab of ca,   then I just do a simple loop around the middle ratlines till I get to the other end where I do another half knot and add another dab of ca  (inlcuding the inner loops)   - said I cheated.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nothing wrong with that O.C. With most of these scales you can’t really tell the difference between a clove hitch and simply looping the lines. 

Well I finished up the lower foremast shrouds. Also installed the cap, topmast and the lifts for the topmast. 

3DEE32E9-D84C-4CF4-AD82-ECF34C963AFD.jpeg

B8BE8649-AF0E-4BEF-9DBD-6ED541EEA008.jpeg

Edited by EJ_L

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Great work  - really tidy mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 2 weeks later...

second that! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Slower building progress lately. Got a new recumbent trike a few weeks ago and I have been trying to get in as much ride time as possible before winter sets in.

A759E000-6078-4778-B3D5-425B975773F1.thumb.jpeg.74b1b2342aa57ee306404892182d1f54.jpeg

55F090DD-DF17-430A-9CF4-F493190C393B.thumb.jpeg.fbd718d4f0b6e4c50771f801756356b7.jpeg

I have made progress though as the fore top fore top has been installed along with the deadeyes for the fore topmast and the futtock shrouds. I also added the back stay for the spritsail topmast and the crows feet for the fore top. Now to repeat on the main mast.    

935C4205-B0BF-4B43-91D1-465C7975437C.thumb.jpeg.5452baa4f6da63273ad8df497fd5898e.jpeg819D2392-ABF7-4F18-A7D7-1615A49A977F.thumb.jpeg.401715ab5e7b7bbb79953b59550570ba.jpegCBED8385-6E1E-4BB8-B477-BC56D221032B.thumb.jpeg.53fe42c0cef59c5f6e9c822c7a940222.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Really nice progress  and Wow  I love that recumbent,   have you heard of the make  Cresswell  Cycles  UK?

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks O.C. and thank you all for the likes and continuing to follow along on the build. This is that stage of work where many hours of rigging doesn't add much visually but, when it is all done, the spider web of lines is a thing of beauty.

O.C., I have heard of Cresswell Cycles. I've not seen one personally, only pictures but, they do make some nice folding bikes. My trike will fold up to about half the size but, is nowhere near as easy to carry as one of those. It will come in handy when  need to transport two of them when my buddy and I go riding but, mostly it stays unfolded as it fits fine in the back of my truck. This one replaced my old sidewinder model which, while a fun trike was not the best for long distance riding with a rigid frame and little adjustment in the seat position. I don't ride with music and my phone is in a carry bag for emergencies and mapping my ride. I enjoy the silence when I'm riding around. I get to spend a few hours unplugged from the world which is rare and very nice.  

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

2 hours ago, EJ_L said:

Thanks O.C. and thank you all for the likes and continuing to follow along on the build. This is that stage of work where many hours of rigging doesn't add much visually but, when it is all done, the spider web of lines is a thing of beauty.

O.C., I have heard of Cresswell Cycles. I've not seen one personally, only pictures but, they do make some nice folding bikes. My trike will fold up to about half the size but, is nowhere near as easy to carry as one of those. It will come in handy when  need to transport two of them when my buddy and I go riding but, mostly it stays unfolded as it fits fine in the back of my truck. This one replaced my old sidewinder model which, while a fun trike was not the best for long distance riding with a rigid frame and little adjustment in the seat position. I don't ride with music and my phone is in a carry bag for emergencies and mapping my ride. I enjoy the silence when I'm riding around. I get to spend a few hours unplugged from the world which is rare and very nice.  

I asked about Cresswell  as I used to work for them as the assembler/engineer  putting  our range of recumbents-folders and  hook on carriers  together and testing new products, we were a small company  with a very small  workforce  - great times while I was there.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been slow going but it is still going. Lower main mast shrouds and ratlines are complete. Working on attaching the deadeyes to the main top as well as the other blocks then I can set the top mast. The cold temperatures have been setting in so staying inside and working on the ship is becoming more and more the thing to do. 

59CE18D4-8AE5-4823-B666-E7603BEA8FF0.jpeg

DCC8FB4C-44A7-40AC-B4CE-0125FDCE4539.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

2 hours ago, EJ_L said:

It’s been slow going but it is still going. Lower main mast shrouds and ratlines are complete. Working on attaching the deadeyes to the main top as well as the other blocks then I can set the top mast. The cold temperatures have been setting in so staying inside and working on the ship is becoming more and more the thing to do. 

59CE18D4-8AE5-4823-B666-E7603BEA8FF0.jpeg

DCC8FB4C-44A7-40AC-B4CE-0125FDCE4539.jpeg

Looking Superb mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 2 weeks later...

Main mast has shrouds, ratlines top and top mast in place. Time to work on the mizzen mast. Fortunately, it is smaller and hopefully will go a bit faster than the fore and main mast did. 

DCA40056-6DC8-48AA-86B3-37F58D7294A6.jpeg

A671DC1D-CF57-41A4-9CFC-5CA5E950A09F.jpeg

3B44CAB5-3465-40DF-B060-DEFF4831DC52.jpeg

848D9E66-58EC-4BA6-B6AA-710CD8153453.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart