Le Soleil Royal by EJ_L - FINISHED - Sergal - Scale 1:77 - 1669 Version

Amazing work  - so precise and tidy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

hi there EJ.........marveling the progress you've made since I last looked in.   ratlines and rigging looks great :)   masting is really nicely done as well !  looking really good ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you all for the kind words and all the likes. I’ve completed another stage with the installation of the mizzen mast, top, topmast, shrouds and ratlines. With that, all three mast now stand proud and I can work on the topmast rigging and prep for topgallants. 

Im hoping to get home from work early enough one evening this week to take some pictures of the entire model as she sits now in natural light. If I can’t get home in time then Saturday looks clear so far. Would like to see her in better lighting than my model room. 

AC748A3B-337F-406E-B2D0-E0C2CE47E341.jpeg

E3F7444F-4D3E-449B-9EFC-C56AB2B3F9C2.jpeg

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

NIce E.J. as was mentioned your tops are perfectly scaled. Lower shrouds and rats are "just right". Chainplates look excellent as well!

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Very nice, I can't wait to see her in natural lighting!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

As always, thank you all for the likes, comments and following along. This past week was another big milestone in the build. Not only did I finish the lower mast rigging, the build itself rolled over 3 years and 1,900 hours! This has been a long journey and I know some of you have been with me on it since the beginning. I still have a lot to do, but the end is drawing ever closer. Baring some unforeseen interruption, I'm thinking I might just get her finished in 2020. :)

Well, the weather mostly held, bit windier than I would have liked but sunny and beautiful otherwise, so I was able to get some outside pictures of her. Enjoy! Time for me to get back to making topmast stays. DSC_0553.thumb.JPG.fe525e0d83ea27adefb75fec89e29cb5.JPGDSC_0555.thumb.JPG.cb2ff7f221cd674fc9662983831b7e77.JPGDSC_0559.thumb.JPG.dba4c4165153b6824073d47565ed77cc.JPG1878312744_DSC_0554-Copy.thumb.JPG.6d4c98f0ecfc8f711ee6b2e980181cd6.JPG1673584397_DSC_0558-Copy.thumb.JPG.4708d25b566e7550ccd50b692397e917.JPG

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

You know, it is so great to see her in natural light, where all of the extra detailing work you have done really pops, EJ.  You really have done an incredible job of transforming this kit into something so much better than the sum of its parts.

I really love your top work, and as I’ve said before - the shrouds and ratlines are top-notch!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Excellent!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in responding and updates, I’ve kept meaning to get on here and then would get distracted. Thank you all for the likes and comments. As always, they are welcome and encouraging. 

As for her size, she is approximately 42 inches long, and when topped out she will be 36 and inches tall with a width at the longest yard of 18 inches. This truly is a massive model that I have yet to decide where her final berth will be... A problem I will hopefully have to tackle in 2020. :) 

This update brings topmast work. Fore stays are in place on fore main and mizzen with shrouds done on fore and main, mizzen shrouds underway and ratlines to follow. 

D9CF4D5C-33CD-4674-8EA4-B383E4012749.jpeg

580CDCE6-B93E-432D-9189-1F8EDCF7548E.jpeg

294E2094-80EB-474D-BA1E-DED981EE015D.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Excellent work EJ.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of work for this update. All of the topmast shrouds are complete with ratlines strung and backstays set. 

Next up up will be work on the topmast caps and then setting the topgallant masts as well as topping out the mizzen with its flagstaff. 2B6D89F7-BC02-4999-923B-772E30BBE0A5.thumb.jpeg.b02526dcfaf9179f85b95998c9f90d4c.jpeg21F4ACD4-1D20-4619-9F1A-88BEAFA2CA97.thumb.jpeg.520c3b56bc1d743dce49f67be6dd79f8.jpeg 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Really looking good--what advice do you have for ensuring the masts are all perfectly straight and aligned?  It looks like you are building them up as you go.  I like that approach but it makes keeping everything straight a challenge.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

Thanks Tom and thank you to all those who have hit the like button. 

Honestly, I do a lot of eye balling alignment on the masts. Any side-to-side lean can be easily seen by viewing the masts in line from forward to aft and vice versa, for more exacting, I will use a straight edge and make sure that it touches all three masts as it passes them. A simple square will usually take care of ensuring plumb as well.

In looking at alignment of the masts fore and aft (viewed from the side) this gets trickier. Most ships have a rake to their mast of 1-5 degrees (the masts leaned aft so that when the sails were full, they would not pull the masts past 90 degrees vertical). This adds a challenge as a simple square is no longer usable. I will typically fashion a miter gauge out of card stock that is cut to the degree I want my masts set at. I make them for each ship and each mast so that they will fit the build. With deck furniture, gratings etc. it can be hard to get a normal tool in place or to get a true reading off the deck. I will cut the card to fit around and over any deck items and once I have a flush fit, I can draw the angle I want the mast to slope at and cut the card to alignment.

After using this to set the lower mast, the upper masts can be aligned using a straight edge. I recommend doing as much of this as possible early on before too much of the deck furniture is in place. Use alignment marks on the deck and masts to help make repositioning easier. To me, the harder part comes in when adding the rigging lines as they can pull masts out of alignment as tension is applied. Work them as evenly as possible, forward and aft, port and starboard and always monitor the opposite side of the one you are working on. I've had to redo plenty of shrouds when I spin the model around and see a mast pulled far to one side.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks E.J.--some great suggestions there and I really appreciate it.  

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

E.J.,

Just catching up - Woa your ship looks awesome outdoors in natural light. I'm still so impressed with all of those well detailed carvings - great addition to your skill set. 

Lower standing gigging and stays also look just right. 

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 3 weeks later...

Completed the standing rigging this past week and the masts are now topped out at full height.

3A933448-34DC-4C2B-ACE6-8963BA65FDB3.thumb.jpeg.2adb2852d274e785f2d5e1ca5b39df8a.jpeg

0287AF61-20DA-48A0-BE0B-4BE77E82AE59.thumb.jpeg.162175df253912fdff033eaa0343b771.jpeg

CAA26C84-034E-4640-BC1C-C640F5290A4C.thumb.jpeg.e6ba4b8e58dde20e386d345d4a4fd1ed.jpeg

With that work complete I have moved on to working the yards and sails. Made templates for all of the sails on graph paper to test for size and fit. Now I will transfer them to cloth and begin sewing. 

B580CE8D-28C6-4F0C-92C0-C5AE652A5A72.thumb.jpeg.bd8705c755965f259e7ee59074ecd6c5.jpeg

I am also going to add the details to the yards themselves as well as blocks and such to prepare them for the sails. I am leaning towards a combination of set and furled sails but we will see. 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Truly excellent work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Attaching blocks to yards. I plan on trying my hand at sewing sails this weekend. We shall see how that goes. 

ECBC9B45-AB5A-408B-AB5E-E429250A123C.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

1 hour ago, EJ_L said:

Attaching blocks to yards. I plan on trying my hand at sewing sails this weekend. We shall see how that goes. 

ECBC9B45-AB5A-408B-AB5E-E429250A123C.jpeg

Yep,   thats the stage I have been at this weeks  on the pearl.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Picked up a book that has been on my wish list for some time now and I feel like a fog has been lifted and can see much clearer now. I will echo what many others have told me and that is this is a must have for any historic model sailing ship builder. A wealth of information and very clear drawings with excellent details. I really wish I would have had this book years ago. 

E3147B33-F87D-4FC3-9A08-552D28210975.jpeg

Edited by EJ_L

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

E.J,

Been away the last couple of weeks – been following on my iPad, but forgot my login info haha – now back at home so I can post again to builds that I follow 🤔 Nice updates. Liked your yard supports haha 

Yes that book is great -

So sails - well that will be a new challenge good luck - could be the most difficult bits to get right unless you keep them all furled then much easier IMO.

PS: as you know they (sails) add huge amounts of work adding many lines and blocks - then finding enough pins to locate the ropes - have fun my friend.

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Sails are indeed a major undertaking especially with no rigging plan or supplied materials, but I think the effort will be worth while. This is my first ship with cloth sails. I’ve done the former plastic ones on my Constitution build but cloth does add extra challenges. 

Success! After learning how to use a sewing machine, some trial and error, I have a set of sails. I still need to clean them up and add details etc., but I have sails. More to follow. 

4C8622F9-A97F-4E26-82AC-B7EF47BAF6AD.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

love the looks of her out in the light.......they always look better in their natural habitat  ;)    great progress and the sails look very nice........I remember my first time on a sewing machine.  as the admiral says......I'm still learning  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch