Le Soleil Royal by EJ_L - FINISHED - Sergal - Scale 1:77 - 1669 Version

4 hours ago, EJ_L said:

Thank you all very much for the nice words and likes. As always, it means a lot that you are enjoying the build as much as I am.

I am moving along this week though I've had to slow down some as I ran out of belaying pins. The kit supplied ones were never going to be enough for all the additional rigging the sails added, but I had what I thought was a healthy supply of extras from other builds that I could use. It turned out that I was about a dozen short. To add insult to injury, I am also out of small diameter dowels which is what I typically make them from. I do however have plenty of toothpicks and so that is what the new pins are being made from. 

I did at least have the foresight to count up the number of blocks I still needed and managed to get those ordered a few weeks ago from Syren before Chuck was forced to close due to Corona19. For anyone who has not attempted sails before, be prepared to triple the required blocks for the rigging, and I am omitting several that would actually be used. The number of blocks and their various types that would be used in actual on these ships is incredible. I intend on trying to put together an inventory of parts that are on this model for the display case as I think that those numbers will be very impressive.

I should have some more pictures this weekend as I hope to have the braces complete then. I have the fore braces in place and am working the main mizzen fittings now. Running the rope is the easiest part once all the blocks and pins are in place. Mapping out that route though takes a while.

E.J. Yes indeed adding sails, as I had sorta complained about when I decided to also add them to the Vasa, adds so much extra work, ropes, blocks, pins, etc. That said I became super motivated during that part of the build learning the specific purposes of each "new" rope.

These ships which were then the state of mechanical art - makes this hobby, for me (all of us), a wonderful new way to learn and keep mentally active by researching where these ropes should also pin on rails port & starboard. Great fun. My book library is getting large!

That said, we today can almost, in our minds eye, understand the "Beam me up Scotty" possibility a century or two from now. I doubt that captains of those ships could ever imagine machines crossing the oceans at 35,000' with all onboard sitting in chairs (I was going to add comfortable - well for some indeed) - along with only two upfront driving the machines at 570 mph. We did have Concorde 1/2 a century ago - 1,200mph...

Of course a 100 years from now folks will look back in history and say, "oh my! can you imagine all of those poor souls stuck like sardines inside an Airbus A380 for 13 hours going from Los Angeles to New Zealand"?  hahaha

PS: I was very low on ropes  glad that I got my order in from Chuck before he was forced to close. Otherwise current project would have ground to a halt.

Apologies for the added distracting notes - but with so much free time now well...

Stay well mate

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Latest update, I finished the braces for all yards. Only the fore and main course sheets left to go for sail rigging. I also dug the anchors out and will begin to assemble and install them. E76BE3A3-319D-4B13-B82D-67EDB2C0102C.thumb.jpeg.b908a5c0458fc07889079c3a62b9a5ce.jpegB643BF82-4FF5-4F44-B640-AC283BF9837B.thumb.jpeg.ad9e9855db5539ccc0587160ef6171d4.jpegEE2CE513-9649-4673-93B9-2762DF2D3006.thumb.jpeg.90557bc4a80122b54203ae73da20acf7.jpeg4E25E17D-5D45-4CDB-A851-AD2D2F421DB8.thumb.jpeg.d25ebfd5406e05865c93dd3123aac3b0.jpeg

On a side note, I received a new bonsai tree for my birthday and spent a little time this weekend pruning and shaping it as well as replanting some of the clippings to try to propagate new plants. 
A1B5527E-3069-46F5-8AAF-311AEA8B03F8.thumb.jpeg.cd2b0e8163714213c4cde62d80f9ef1d.jpeg4D36B4D6-4FF8-4A13-977C-6B15122BAE16.thumb.jpeg.892ce2cf396e53f45d38b90a87c17b74.jpeg

As always, thanks for following along and I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

She is looking so nice EJ   full credit to you for  pushing on with making and fitting the sails.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

First two anchors are in place. Rotating the ship around to install the others next. 
BFBC74D1-A620-4B98-8CDD-F73C331D7ADD.thumb.jpeg.67ce174ba74bf73053006660a112bcf5.jpeg16CC9904-BEBC-4413-97F8-3B21BB156C86.thumb.jpeg.8e46e692655dd1af857b40757f214a59.jpegE276E3D1-B90E-48F5-A530-F60F8D07B65C.thumb.jpeg.2e1b82b1ef1e0f7148fdc24dfafda822.jpeg269BC63D-1656-41D7-9B98-0C43CCCCD125.thumb.jpeg.c8a00fb8f94ba653f81286fb8c5be6c3.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Superb EJ  cant find any other words  just a really perfect job.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

As OC just stated superb indeed. I've also really enjoyed following along ! Especially knowing all the work you also did with the handmade decorative casting bits.

Cheers,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Lantern building has begun. 

51C1D82B-26DA-46FB-BFC8-67A203D18B1B.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Lanterns are built and installed. Suddenly I’m looking at a complete model of Soleil Royal. I will be posting final pictures soon as I want to take her outside to use the natural light. 
885A280A-98C8-432F-81D5-9082AFF28A06.thumb.jpeg.8d40d6e5a3b4c323c3a55ff264338d58.jpeg34D863C2-A25B-42B4-804B-7E6AA70D77F7.thumb.jpeg.5ef44b0171ec8d0b64a83097138b1f23.jpeg7F2B5CD8-F433-41E0-B8AD-E1F8FF1530AC.thumb.jpeg.64b2dfd84d223e43b8f2154fd749bd8f.jpeg60415E9B-E595-434C-BD4C-3C92FDB76D03.thumb.jpeg.0b3891c3361ab23e7a78bc745f67bf45.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

An amazing accomplishment!  Congratulations.

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

It has been 3 years and 5 months, 2,225 man hours and Le Soleil Royal is complete. What a build this has been. First off let me thank you all for joining me on this project. The encouragement, and help along the way has been more valuable than I can say. There are plenty of things that I do not fully like on how they turned out, some may be replaced in the future, others I will try to improve upon on the next build. This one saw a lot of first time experiences for me with the carvings being done myself, sails and lighting. Only way to go is up from here! The last component that I will likely add in the future are the flags. I do not like the look of the ones that came in the kit, as they are really only printed on one side of the material. I am looking into having some different ones made, but that likely will not be able to happen until the coronavirus situation has passed. I will update if/when that happens. For now, here are some of the finished pictures, more will be posted in the gallery link below.

I am taking a few days to relax and enjoy the completed build as well as cleaning and reorganizing parts of the shipyard. Soon though, I will be returning to Royal Louis as she was set aside to finish S.R..

DSC_0577.JPG

DSC_0580.JPG

DSC_0582.JPG

DSC_0584.JPG

DSC_0595.JPG

DSC_0603.JPG

DSC_0612.JPG

DSC_0613.JPG

DSC_0615.JPG

DSC_0619.JPG

DSC_0620.JPG

DSC_0622.JPG

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Congratulations!  An amazing accomplishment and I really admire your decision to tackle the carving.  What's your next project.

PS.  I'm still behind you but only by a few days!

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

E.J,

I've been following your work for a long time - this one is so superb mate. Big congrats. The 4th image from the top is so perfect - super well done details all around.  :imNotWorthy: 

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Chris, Tom, Michael, thank you all so very much.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Well done sailor. Very, very well done.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Superb work EJ,    she has turned out marvelous  a real credit to all the hard work you put into her,     stay well and safe,    look froward to following you next project.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

congratz EJ..........such a beautiful ship!   you've created a very ornate model.......looks really good with the sails :)    it's a masterpiece in itself!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Magnificent talented build, beautifully done!! Congratulations! 

:champagne:

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Thank you all so very much!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderfully done! The interior lighting is also very nice. What was your method for recording your total hours?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Elijah, thank you so much!

As for the tracking of hours, nothing fancy. I simply make tally marks on the inside cover of the instruction booklet, crossing them off in sets of 25 for easy adding. I like keeping track of them in the booklet for the ship that way it stays with that models information when I file it away after completion.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart