Rattlesnake 1781 by Don Quixote - Mamoli - Scale 1:64 - 20 gun Privateer

Thanks for looking in, S.

Mike, can you name a specific ship with that kind of rigging detail? I found a victorysipmodels.com but I have no idea where to start. I'd love that kind of detail!

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Top decks are done. Plans call to make the cannon ports and planking before planking the rest of the ship. I'm thinking I'll get the whole ship fair and setup my strakes first.

There is no planning on hull planking that I can see.

post-10291-0-56610600-1482027963_thumb.jpg

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

I'm sure you're glad to get that behind you.  Wow, no planking plan?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Here's the extent of the plans. The directions read like stereo.

"Take from the view of the fore deck the position of the rail posts supporting the hand rail and make 14 holes (as many as the rail posts) on the plank sheer.

post-10291-0-44758700-1482042841_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-48022100-1482042852_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

There may be more there than you think.  Transom doesn't look too bad.

My gun station instructions is mostly in Italian. I haven't had to yet, but a lot of folks here will use Google Translate to pick out details.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Good Grief, I'm not sure I know enough 4 letter words to respond to that.

My fingers are short enough!

In Dry Dock:

Mike, I'm confused, your not building the same brand, right?

In Dry Dock:

The gun station I was referring to is one of those "cross section" kits. Just a couple of guns on a gun deck and all the stuff that goes along with that. The kit is by Panart/Mantua and I believe they are Italian. It's a cool build because the scale is so big - lot's of details that you could never build at 1:64.  The gun barrel is longer than my pointer finger.

I do have a Rattlesnake kit as well. But it is the one from Model Expo. Have not started this one yet. It will be interesting as I had Crown Timberyard replace the entire basswood stock of wood with boxwood. Not sure when I will get to it. I have a few other kits I would rather do.

Does anyone make them other than Mamoli?

In Dry Dock:

Does anyone make them other than Mamoli?

Make what? A Rattlesnake kit? The RS kit I have is by Model Shipways. Same company that made our Niagaras. I've opened the box a few times, it looks simpler than Niagara.

Edited by mikiek

No, the cross section. Again I have the Mamoli version with which I'm not impressed. I'm ever so slightly too smart for a beginners ship and too dumb for anything else. <_<

In Dry Dock:

The gun station (cross section) I am working on is from Panart who also seems to be Mantua.  It's a generic rig, all the tools and equiment for a couple of guns but it's not any particular ship.

Just discovered your build log. I am just putting the finishing touches on my Mamoli Rattlesnake model. This is my first build and I jumped in with both feet and kit bashed it following Bob Hunt's practicum. Because it was my first build and I didn't know what I was doing at the start and I didn't know what I didn't know, I moved slower than molasses on a cold day, like 7 years. Hopefully you'll take a look at my log to avoid the pitfalls I fell into. Maybe it can can help you along.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Good grief. I've been drooling over those Victory brand ships. Cheapest I could find for a single mast was $240. Prices then went to $320 through $1200. The one I wanted, the bomber was $490.

Found it for $245 at Cornwall Model Boats LTD. http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/vm_granado.html

You know I just ordered that!

In Dry Dock:

Good grief. I've been drooling over those Victory brand ships. Cheapest I could find for a single mast was $240. Prices then went to $320 through $1200. The one I wanted, the bomber was $490.

Found it for $245 at Cornwall Model Boats LTD. http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/vm_granado.html

You know I just ordered that!

Cornwall has most of the European kits for a lot less than anyone here. Even with freight I usually save $100. And the freight gets here within 2-3 days of the order. I have several of the Victory kits including Granada.  Looks like you and I have the same taste in boats.

And money!

In Dry Dock:

Ever notice how many times the "good" side of the ship swaps sides throughout the build. We'll call that the presentation side.

In Dry Dock:

Pretty soon all you're left with is the bow or the stern :rolleyes:

I have a plank, perfectly shaped, smooth... I don't think I'll waste it on the model.

In Dry Dock:

Use the metal port as a guide. Place the bottom strip so that the bottom of the strip is even with the bottom of the deck. Run the next strip above the port. 2 more pcs in between and you're golden.

Except the ports are 12 MM sq, and the planks are 5 mm each.

I soaked the wood for 30 minutes before shaping, and applied a little heat. No matter what that cheap wood frays. Supposed to be Tanganyka wood.

The wood doesn't look that bad from 10" away, but the gap is of course ugly. I have some 1.5X 2mm strips from the Niagara left over that I'll used.

post-10291-0-44333400-1482882438_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Thanks, Jon, looking at is as soon as I press Post.

In Dry Dock:

Is the top of that top strip where it is supposed to be? If yes then you probably should add a filler strip. The question becomes do you put the filler under the top strip or notch the top strip around the port and make the filler the new top strip.

I seem to remember Niagara having some inconsistencies regarding the port placement. I think I added an additional 3/32x3/32 strip on top.

As near as I can figure, the top strip is where it should be. It's supposed to sit directly on top of the port and in fact the little bit I can glean from the instructions is that the ports are to be used as "guides". No matter how I slice it, 12mm ports, 2 - 5 mm planks. Guess I'll be at Ace hardware to buy some more wood filler too. Here-on-in known as bondo.

In Dry Dock:

Talk about a bash kit, I'm gonna bash this alright. I'll test my 12 ton arbor press.

It's game on. This is gonna be BAD!

In Dry Dock:

As I mentioned in my response to you on my build log, I followed Robert Hunt's practicum for kit bashing, but he also provided detailed instructions for creating the model straight out of the box. In this particular case with the gun ports, he suggested using a full plank in the middle and modified strips on either side. He provided this image:

post-1370-0-96361400-1482935761.png

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

I agree with JSGearson - fit another plank in the space or replace the top plank with something 7mm notched at the ports. You have several options.

Sorry I can't send you my Byrne's Sander. You could make a perfect 2mm plank with that.

I didn't get that far into them.

In Dry Dock:

Does this look right? At the widest, I need 18 planks. At the stem I need 9! At the stern I need 19. Note however, that the planks are supposed to be 4 mm but are on average 4.14 mm.

If I'm reading that right, I need to reduce every plank at the stem by half, and the sterm may almost work perfectly. It's a double plank, but I'm hoping to get away with 1.

post-10291-0-80658800-1483142480_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-74517900-1483142514_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-76220800-1483142536_thumb.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Please wait moment. I'm going to try something. I have some light weight card stock. If I do this in 3 strakes, 6 planks each. Should be close at the stern, else I can add a stealer. Let's assume for now that 18 planks will work at the stern as well as amid ship. I'll measure down the middle bulkhead 6 planks, mark it, same at the stern. Then on the stem, I'll reduce it to 2 mm per plank. Mark it at 6 mm. Run the strake down below the marks, measure down 6 more planks MINUS the width of the strake, mark it and strake it.

I think I recall reading something about that.

Actually, do I have to subtract the width of the strake? Measure 6 planks down, mark it and then measure 6 more planks, mark it... Put the strakes just below the line.

In Dry Dock: