Jim Byrnes Thickness Sander

Hi Guys,

I must have been pretty good last year because Santa also bought me a Byrnes Thickness Sander!

I finally got the chance to play with it yesterday and I found that the dust port does not fit to my Black & Decker Shop Vac. My question is whether or not I can use "off the shelf" PVC fittings to make an adapter or do I need to scratch build something?

I know you guys have the answer :).

Best,

John

post-18302-0-11548100-1483488827_thumb.jpeg

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

I picked up a hard rubber adapter in the shop vac section of Lowes. It is stepped so you can cut it to fit the proper size. It works well.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

You can go to any Menards and go to the shop vac section. They will have a reducer that will work. It is a one piece unit that you adjust to the size you need

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

There is a Byrnes adaptor thread on here somewhere.  I have a Fein shop vac which is in a metric size.  I had to use two adaptors, one inside the other, for a tight seal.  You might be able to get away with one adaptor and some gaffer tape.

The thickness sander is awesome by the way.  I don't use it nearly as often as the table saw and disc sander, but when I do, I am thankful I have it.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I got this adapter from Lowes for my Byrnes Saw.  It works great attaching my shop vac to my Byrnes saw.

post-15-0-36496300-1483497574_thumb.jpg

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I have not bothered with an adapter but my Fein vac hose, which is metric, traps every bit of the dust when I just set it into the top port.  Someday I will remember to get the adapter and will have a tight fit - but it's not been necessary yet.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

If needed to accommodate a slight mismatch in diameters, a gasket can be cut from polyurethane foam from a craft store such as JoAnn,  It comes in 2mm and 6mm thickness.  Cut the material to the width needed and oversize in length, wrap it around the fitting, and then cut it on a long diagonal. A spot of glue or double-stick cellophane tape will hold it in place.

Edited by Bob Blarney