HMS Alfred by Pirate Adam - Scale 1:96, 1778, Lumberyard timbering set

That looks pretty good. One question. This may be a trick of the camera, but are you sure you have the planks long enough at each edge? It looks like there could be some hull frame showing at each edge of the lowest plank. If I am seeing it right, that could cause you some problems getting the side planking to lay flush against the edges of the counter planking. Of course, if I am wrong, then you are good to go. :)

Russ

Russ,

Thank you for the warning.  Happily it's a trick of the camera. The photo isn't quite straight on, and the frame showing is the cant frame behind the stern timber.  I've been test fitting the wales as I work on the counter to make sure they sit flat.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Working on installing the wales.  I have the upper two of the four strakes in place.  There are 3 gunports that intersect the wales at the aft end of the ship.  I will cut those in soon as I've come to realize doing things in this order will make it tricky to install the top and bottom sills of the ports (duh).

There is some trimming to do on the sternports as well as the bottom of the port will intersect partway into the moulding.

I need to figure out the camera/lighting so the colors will show better in the pictures.  I was a bit skeptical that Dave included apple for the planking with the timbering set, but it looks awesome with the pear and boxwood.  The wales are rosewood.

post-743-0-49936000-1368466208_thumb.jpgpost-743-0-99372000-1368466223_thumb.jpg

The wales look very good. They finish off beautifully at the stern. Very nidce work.

Russ

Juergen,

That is the natural color of the rosewood. The color in the second picture above is pretty true to the color of the wood. There is distinct grain pattern, but I think it is a cool look. I haven't applied any finishes to any of the wood at this point. I sanded the pear sections with 600 grit sandpaper and it is about the smoothness of plastic and very pretty in real life.

Adam

• 1 year later...

Hey Adam,

Nice to see you back in the shipyard and posting again. Looking forward to the continuation of this lovely build. :)

• 2 months later...

Nice work on the Alfred, Adam.  I've noticed that about Swiss Pear, it loses the pink and goes to a golden color.  It's a little softer than cherry or boxwood and though it holds a edge and carves nicely, it doesn't take much to put a ding in it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)