New Bedford Whaleboat by Mike_In_RI - FINISHED - Model Shipways MS2033 - Scale 1:16 - Small

Thanks Joe. The presentation is based upon a model built by Jim Shoesmith. I took a photo of it while it was in the basement level of the New Bedford Whaling Museum. They were gracious enough to take me down there for a look.

... just took a long look at your Benjamin Latham project. What a great job. The photo in Post #94, among many others, is so realistic. I'm forced to confess that I bailed out on that model (very) many years ago when my planking skills were in short supply. At least with the MSW forum, I may yet stand a chance.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, Congratulations on a Beautiful Model and Display. Great job, your attention to detail is everything I aspire to have. 😎

I’m just finishing my Néw Bedford Whaleboat and will be using your detailed build log for inspiration and guidance in my final steps and quest for detail. 

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. What’s your next venture?

John

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

Hi John, thank you for you interest and compliments. It's a great kit.

What’s your next venture?

Well, actually I'm almost finished with the next project which is the NRG half-hull. I haven't posted up on it yet because I've been using it to experiment with different types of wood, wood bending, planking methods as well as planking in general ... with which I sorely need practice.

After that, I've been looking into the Charles Morgan, including your outstanding project on the forum. The Morgan is less than an hour away and I am a member of the Seaport. Or, maybe a Swan class project or one of Chuck's kits.

I haven't seen yours whaleboat log yet.... I'll jump there very quickly.

Mike

• 6 months later...

Very nice!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just restarted my Whaleboat after taking a break for my Cape Cod Nimblets and see I have a question.  Appears page 56 is missing from my Ronnberg "To Build a Whaleboat' that came in the Model Shipways kit.  I can probably figure it all out but if anyone can take a picture of that page and send to me, that would be much appreciated.  I'll start my own log shortly.

Larry

Current Build:          New Bedford Whaleboat by Model Shipways scale 1:16

Completed Builds:  Cape Cod Nimblet Knockabouts - Loon, Hawk, Gull and Falcon

Howard W. Middleton scale 1:96 - 1883 coastal coal schooner

Susan P.  scale 1:24 - Maine Lobster Boat by Freedom Song Boatworks

Yacht America scale 1:96 by Marine Models

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 12 1/2 scale 1:12

Thermopylae scale 1:124 - English Tea Clipper by Mantua Models

Roar Ege - Roskilde, Denmark Coastal Trader Viking Ship

Hi Larry,

The Roonberg whaleboat is a great project.

This is p56 from the Ronnberg book (not a copy from the model box).  Do you need p55? In the book, p55 is on the forward side of p56. My model came with a terrible copy in the box so I found the book online.

Page-56_Whaleboat_sm_2.thumb.jpg.48acb3d466fd32f31c3ca665293e3ca9.jpg

Good luck,

Mike

Edited by Mike_In_RI

• 4 months later...

Limited time to work on model but it's coming along.  Have started on frames - about 1/2 of first layer complete.8D11B079-197E-4838-933C-3095E4D38DE6.heic7709C238-1A6A-471A-870B-5CB4470EFAE3.heic

Larry

Sorry, I forgot I can't use Apple formatted pics here...

IMG_6567.thumb.jpeg.c780716b361ee1b9044a2e2bf43ecb5d.jpegIMG_6569.thumb.jpeg.cbcb56b263bd98e7f1ef448b66b05b7d.jpegLimited time to work on model but it's coming along.  Have started on frames - about 1/2 of first layer complete.8D11B079-197E-4838-933C-3095E4D38DE6.heic7709C238-1A6A-471A-870B-5CB4470EFAE3.heic

Larry