How many model ships working on at the same time?

dkuehn

I have 5 models currently under construction at different levels of completion. I had 3 going from years ago (Chuck's Syren, Fly and Vanguard) and had two not yet started kits. (Snake and Agamemnon) To get myself started again I decided to start on the Snake. Well, then I decided I needed to start the Agamemnon to take advantage of the relearning that I was getting from the Snake. Now it's 5 going, I do kind of enjoy bouncing between the kits. 

My question is, are there others that have several kits going at the same time?

Edited by dkuehn
Just saw and extra little apostrophe that did not belong, only took me a little over a year and a half to spot it.

• 4 months later...

It seems like a bit of "condition" that several of us share.  Once the box arrives I assure myself that I'll wait 'til other builds are complete.  but ...

Five at the moment, in order of progress are Krabbenkutter, Bluenose II, Prince de Neufchatel, Essex Cross section, Syren.  One more box arrived 2 weeks ago but I won't start that until a couple of other builds are done (well maybe).  Also, like popeye, I have an extra hull (in my case another Syren) that could be a separate build.

The only way I can maintain progress on one is to operate a self imposed ban, forbidding any work on another until the former is complete. I do however allow myself one concession. That being I can research and decide on the next model before completing the former. I think this is either called self discipline or simply weird.

Guest Riccardo1966

I have also limited myself to just one build at a time and no progress on said model for a while. I would possibly do some "small" modeling as an aside which may be a model car or loco or a miniature figure, but not another ship.

Cheers Richard

• 5 months later...
On 1/12/2017 at 5:52 PM, dkuehn said:

I have 5 models currently under construction at different levels of completion. I had 3 going from years ago (Chuck's Syren, Fly and Vanguard) and had two not yet started kits. (Snake and Agamemnon) To get myself started again I decided to start on the Snake. Well, then I decided I needed to start the Agamemnon to take advantage of the relearning that I was getting from the Snake. Now it's 5 going, I do kind of enjoy bouncing between the kits. 

My question is, are there other's that have several kits going at the same time?

Well, I no longer have any uncompleted kits, I didn't finish them, my house burned down in the Northern California wild fires. All of my boats: started, finished and still in box are gone. 

We have excellent insurance and are comfortable financially. So now I'll have to pick up a new kit and start working again. I'll have to wait until we get into our rental house (living in hotels right now). I had the Byrnes table saw and sander, the insurance will get those back to me. Just a matter of time. 

OH WOW, sorry to hear about the loss, even with excellent insurance, you and yours still lost stuff.  Best wishes in rebuilding.  

For me, I have two ships on the bench, another two started but stored, plus a model fire truck and a wooden steam locomotive for the grandkids, plus plans and rough lumber for another 2 ships, a fancy wooden Stanley Steamer for the Admiral - started, using purple heard, plus a list of items I want to build, such as two stationary steam engines, another 3 ships, more wooden toys for the grandkids, and a 3/4 inch scale American locomotive.  I also need to acquire the skill of carving in the round so I can add carvings to the ships, such as Wasa (only 7 hundred carving on her).  I probably won't live long enough for that.......but that's a target.

Keep building and above all, have fun!!               Duff

So sorry to hear that 'D' - that's extremely frustrating that you've lost all that work, not to mention your home, but glad to hear that you're OK between the finances and the insurance.  I've been keeping in touch with my brother who lives in semi-rural Nipomo near Santa Rosa - he had cleared all the brush off his land just in case, but the fires didn't get there...best wishes....Steve M

• 9 months later...

I have finally started back with boat modeling again after the fire took everything. I think I'm going to only buy a new kit once the one I'm working on is completed. 

Here's my boat building area, very limited tools at the moment, but enough to work with. That's the Victory Models - Lady Nelson. 

20180825_100150.jpg

For me, only one due to financial and time restrictions.

Had three in my stash, but I sold them.

Hope my health holds out until I finish this one.  Then I will consider starting another one.

Another consideration is, where do you put it if or when it is completed?

RussR 

Edited by RussR
added a word

Two, a 1:32 scratch Royal Navy longboat and a 1:96 scratch model of the lake freighter Benjamin Noble.  The longboat has reached the point where I have been making up the standing rigging so I can see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.  The Noble is a problem.  I started to plate the hull using 3M transfer tape to afix brass plates and found that the adhesive was not strong enough to hold them down, so the hull sits on the shelf.

Roger

Two ships, but as I am still waiting for the new elevator, I am currently just working on repairing our mailbox. (surprisingly a much more involved job than I thought at first:blink:) The first ship is the MSs' Phantom, (currently starting the rigging) and the other is Auroras' Wanderer. (currently installing the deck beams) 

With all the bad Karma we have been experiencing lately, the elevator delay is perhaps for the best right now anyway. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

I typically have at least three going at once: A big primary RC project, a back-burner RC project, and a plastic model or two.

My primary build is the big Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack.  That build is temporarily on a slowdown, as I am trying to complete a Revell USCGC Taney as a present for an old friend.  My 1/144 scale carrier is also nearby- though all I’m doing now is occasional dabbling with one of the aircraft models, while waiting for other stuff to dry....

I've learned that if I actually want to finish something I've gotta stick to just one. My other problem is that I dream big (too big!) but I only have so much time to build between work, family and my other hobbies. 

My current focus is a 1/200 Bismarck but I've previously started and boxed back up early in the build a 1/200 Hood, 1/192 USS Indianapolis, 1/72 Type IXC U-boat, 1/350 USS Indianapolis, 1/72 Gato and 1/200 USS Iowa. 

Waiting in the stash unmolested to be built someday (complete with aftermarket do-dads) or sold off when I need more room in the stash (or to eat the name-brand cat food when I'm retired :P)  is a 1/48 U-boat, 1/200 Mikasa, 1/350 modern refit Iowa, 1/64 HMS Agamemnon, 1/200 Arizona, 1/200 HMS Rodney, 1/100 Bismarck semi-kit  

I have spent the majority of my life reading stuff. I went through the gamut of fiction adventure, Sci-Fi, all the normal stuff all kids and people seem to read ranging form classics to junk. In addition I discovered history and was never able to shake it. i don't know of any of my friends in school who loved history so i was pretty much alone in that.

But then I discovered that when I read a book i wanted to build a model of the machine that was highlighted in the book. Thus followed planes, spaceships, airships, and of course ship ships.

So today I am pretty much the same. When I start concentrating on some particular event or item, mostly in history these days, then I get the renewed urge to build something in 3D to represent that interest. So I am always subject to getting distracted onto a new subject of interest before finishing the last. It was much easier to keep up as a kid when it seemed I could throw a kit together in a few days and seemed to never run out of room for them in my bedroom. Now it seems like those days are long gone and I will have no choice but to either build multiple models or constantly being distracted by the next shiny object!

All mine are scratch built.  The earliest is the Ferreira(AKA Cutty Sark)  I was fascinated when I saw a picture of her in some backwater...just dilapidating away...so I built my version of her.....however...she is not finished....cuz I became enamored with the Donald McKay ship Glory of the Seas.

Here is a pic.  She had foremast yards now.

1454583_10201589379469470_825845786_n.jpg

The glory of the Seas fascinated me because she was Donald McKay's last clipper and she was burned for the metal in her hull, just south of Seattle....forty minutes from my home.  So I went there at an extreme low tide and retrieved some artifacts for the display of her.

While I was building her I became enthralled by the Clipper the Donald McKay..Donald McKay's name sake...and I wanted to build her in a diorama depicting her in heavy seas rounding the horn with short sails set.

Pics of the Glory and relics. She is much farther along in her standing rigging from when this was taken.

Glory on artifact shelf.jpg

glory of the seas.jpg

Edited by rwiederrich