Sign in to follow this  
grsjax

Meyer Lemon Wood

My neighbor cut down an old meyer lemon tree and gave me the wood.  Just got it so it will be drying for at least several months and I don't know much about it.  All I could find on the net was that the wood was hard and fine grained with little or no figure.  Anyone have any experience with lemon or citrus wood in model making?

I have read that any citrus tree will produce good timber, as with just about any fruit or nut tree.  The drawback is the size of the lumber it produces, but that is not a concern for what we use it for.  The fresh cut wood should be left to dry for one year per inch of thickness.  A good idea would be for you to slice the wood into one inch thick slices and stack the lumber with one inch "sticks" separating the boards. Let us know how the wood works out. See you next January..........

Jim

Never used citrus myself, but it does have the reputation of being a bit brittle, but should be fine for unbent work.

John

Congrats, citrus is supposed to be excellent for

our uses.  It is just darn near impossible to

obtain if you do not live in a subtropic region.

The method that I use now for framing has a need for

2 inch thick stock if building a 3rd rate or larger at

1:60 or larger is a project.  Otherwise, 1 inch is just

the ticket and should be treated as Jim has advised. 

In addition coating the cut ends (including cut off

branches) with a thick coat of latex paint if you have

any left over from house painting, or varnish or

coat with melted paraffin.  The point is to slow

the rate of water loss to something close to or less than

the rate from the side surface.  In most species of trees

this reduced checking and splitting.

Once you have the billets, you can use the bandsaw to freehand

shave off the bark.  This speeds water loss or at least equalizes

the rate at that surface and removes any bark beetle infestation.

If you do not have use of a bandsaw, a draw knife is a quick way

to shave off the bark.  Other edge tools work, it just takes more work.

Got the wood de-barked.  Used a 1" chisel as the trunk of the tree is fluted and a draw knife will only hit the high areas.

Painted the ends and cut a few pieces to see what it looks like.  Found some insect damage and staining under the bark.  Wood is nearly white (sort of a very light cream color) but still pretty wet so probably going to change color a bit as it seasons.  I will cut out the stained areas for pen blanks.  A friend of mine is a pen turner and I send him pieces of interesting wood.  Very hard wood.  Might make a good substitute for holly.

I just had three trees harvested. A Pecan, Cherry and a Walnut. Research suggested two years to dry and cure. To hasten this I have had the logs cut to 24" (rough) an then used my band saw to create 1-1/2" x 3-4" x 24"billets (no bark) and stacked and cross stacked. Hopefully I can use them in a year.

Edited by Dupree Allen