Lady Nelson by vossiewulf - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

I've fixed the planking lines and am working on completing it, have pics of the steps but will post once I'm closer to done with the inner planking.

This however is how I ended up needing to fix, this is a plank at 2x size, the outer line shows the widths the planks should have had at the interim stations, the red line shows what I actually did. Those slightly too narrow widths at the interim stations added up over a series of planks to that bad upward sweep.

post-9338-0-81771500-1487277522_thumb.jpg

And the results:

post-9338-0-10857900-1487277497_thumb.jpg

another point to mention,  is that during the beginning of the planking,  there might not be a need to taper.   usually,  it doesn't begin to appear,  until after the third or fourth row of planking.   I go by the straight line method........maintain the straight line.   by test fitting planking,  you'll see where the taper begins,  or the deficit {for which a stealer may need to be used}.   beveling the edges,  as Pat suggests,  will insure that the plank fits snug to the preceding one.   I also bevel the tip as it fits to the bow spirit,  for a flatter fit there as well.  I have an adjustable jig to wet and bend planks......most of the time,  I will use them damp,  so I can take advantage of the extra spring the strip may have.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Jay,

Did you do the batten step of the planking tutorials?   That step is pretty necessary to get the line and flow of the planking.   Looks like you went a bit too far, too fast on the tapering.. maybe pull off the last two strakes and run some batten and go from there.   Or..... accept that this is the first planking layer and go all out on the second layer.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes I did Mark, and if you go back you'll see I went to the lengths of marking it all out on the hull. I just didn't execute said plan correctly. After the first three planks the problem was not very noticeable, it would be more so to me now. I decided my plan was working and put on 3 more each side, focused entirely on the side to side joints and geometry, playing around with tools to determine how I was going to do that part, and it wasn't until I was done with that that I realized there was an increasing problem.

I have a bit more control of the planking lines now.

Obviously almost done with this planking, will post something "real" when I am.

post-9338-0-15031400-1487641274_thumb.jpg

post-9338-0-58225500-1487641276_thumb.jpg

post-9338-0-59729800-1487641278_thumb.jpg

Finishing with those planks is intended, since I started at bulkhead as required by the kit, finishing in the middle was inevitable since I wasn't going to try to plank into the rabbet at the keel with the garboard being the last strake. So I got to four left and reversed direction, placing the garboard and working down.

You've done it exactly as I do - building up and down with a final plank (hopefully only needing a slight trim) somewhere in the middle. Looks good so far - no problems with the twist into the stern?

Rick

Ok.. you're right.  I've run into that myself and ended up blaming tolerance buildup or tired eyes.   Looks from here like a nice recovery.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks pretty good Vossie, the second layer has a very good base.  It seems you have tamed the beast :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks folks. This evening I put in those two planks, sanded down hull to final shape, and trimmed and flushed the planking ends and made the counter ready for its planking. Yes, I learned several lessons on what not to do and that there are not stages of planking anything that should not engender constant paranoia as to whether something - anything - is getting out of alignment.

Also the last 8 planks use the technique I plan to use on the final planking, every single one of them has an invisible glue line. The way I had been doing the planks, which was beveling the plank I was about to glue on, just wasn't getting me the totally consistent results one needs here, there continued to be long stretches of good glue lines with a couple minor but noticeable wiggles.

I finally decided that trying to do a fit that complex while working on a loose wiggly bendy plank was a bit trickier than I'd prefer, so I switched to beveling the edge of the plank that is already on the ship that I am about to glue to. With it being glued down, I had no issues using a sharp knife to bevel and true the edges such that they are always perpendicular to the bulkheads, followed up by some straightening with a straight flat rectangular #2 cut needle file. Goal was to make it just that a straight square edge on the plank you're about to glue down should fit perfectly.

Also stopped using glue on the edges except where absolutely necessary, no matter how good your joint is it will be made slightly less good by glue that's thicker than water, I remembered this trick from something I did a long time ago. Also pretty sure I like having them able to move a bit independently in terms of long term stability, I think more problems will be incurred by locking them all together.

Before I forget, a nice thing about my Mk.I Advanced Rope-Powered Keelalator it that is sounds like I'm working on a ship. Every time I put stress on it gluing or whatever, the lines creak against each other and the wood, unintentionally very nicely atmospheric.

To go back all the way to fixing the problem I had....

First was an extensive and detailed post-mortem analysis, something I do at work every week on some issue or other. So I spent some time figuring out how that had happened while wondering why I didn't notice it. Once I understood that it was time to redraw the plank lines as necessary to be what I wanted them to be from here, and then that told me what I needed to do to fix the two sides.

Those fixes involved cutting 4 or 5 inch curving pieces to change the current line into the line it should have been at that point. So I took some tracing paper, not to trace the curve but because it's thin and easily bendable, put it over the location where we needed the repair plank, and use a finger to bend the paper to give me a nice crisp line of the curve that I could see, then used that to draw the line, then glued the paper to a piece of planking stock. It looks considerably more messy than it is, I actually had a good line I could see.

I also bent the plank to make sure the curve transposed correctly.

post-9338-0-27793700-1487668802_thumb.jpg

Then trimmed it down to fit the curve with knife and sandpaper.

post-9338-0-11206600-1487668806_thumb.jpg

Now that I had the curve I needed to mark the heights it needed to be at each station.

post-9338-0-01045900-1487668810_thumb.jpg

Trimmed down, you can see it's now to shape.

post-9338-0-75070600-1487668815_thumb.jpg

post-9338-0-01170900-1487668813_thumb.jpg

Even though it looked fine dry fitting it, I spazzed gluing it in and it ended up with a less-than-stellar glue line but it was a repair and I could deal with it.

post-9338-0-64388100-1487668819_thumb.jpg

Note I'm just bringing myself back to the original plan, which itself was poorly conceived in that the bow planks should have more upward sweep for a graceful look, but considering the second planks have a different width and therefore a completely different scheme will need to be created, I didn't see any value in trying to fix this. It looks goof from all angles but beam on.

Before I resumed planking though, as you saw from me reinforcing planks already installed, that I just wasn't happy trying to plank and then correctly fair planks that are floating over large amounts of empty space, so I decided I was going to fill all 6 remaining holes in some way, and while I was at it was going to try different methods for future reference.

First for the biggest gaps was plan solid basswood. Here we fit, install, and clean up.

post-9338-0-38352600-1487670403_thumb.jpg

post-9338-0-80257700-1487670159_thumb.jpg

post-9338-0-07118400-1487670194_thumb.jpg

post-9338-0-17080900-1487670197_thumb.jpg

For the back hole, I decided on a simple cross brace made from some basswood and a planking scrap. Here testing it for support with fair plank line, this one needs to come down still.

post-9338-0-71666200-1487670408_thumb.jpg

The final hole got bridges of plank scrap covered by kit spare plywood, with them placed to go under the edges of two planks.

Here they are all done.

post-9338-0-37083100-1487670412_thumb.jpg

Will post this here before bringing us up to date.

So here we were after adding a few more planks on both sides, making sure we were now fully with the program and the planks being added were fully aligned with the universe before moving to the next.

I've now reversed order and have the garboards in on both side and am planking downward from there.

post-9338-0-89344200-1487671552_thumb.jpg

Rick, had no issues with twist. What I adid was sweep upward those four final planks at the stern such that the garboard ones, if taken to the rudder post, would be two planking widths above the keel. That leaves stealers simple and at the bottom corner of the keel. I will do something similar with the final planking.

I just bent the planks sideways for my sweep, twist over that length doesn't take much force.

post-9338-0-99420400-1487671549_thumb.jpg 

Finally had to move to concave tools to cleanup theses planking sections. I guess some people leave that entirely to the end, I cannot :)

post-9338-0-40278800-1487671558_thumb.jpg

And here we are fitting, gluing, and cleaning up the final plank on this side. 

post-9338-0-32292400-1487672201_thumb.jpg

post-9338-0-79538800-1487671566_thumb.jpg

post-9338-0-00649900-1487671569_thumb.jpg

By the way I really like that flat and concave Veritas detail palm planes for this. Almost perfect combo of small footprint and precision and control with it in your palm. Clicky to go see how unhappy your wife is going to be.

05p9001s07.jpg

And here we are basic side view, which can best be called pedestrian.

post-9338-0-07373700-1487671571_thumb.jpg

On the other hand, I'm very pleased with the what is the real purpose, which is establishing the final shape of the hull and after careful work here I'm very pleased with the shapes and the symmetry. Almost perfect fair curves.

Fit into the rabbets all the way around also is good.

post-9338-0-47051900-1487671573_thumb.jpg

post-9338-0-17623200-1487671576_thumb.jpg

As mentioned lines look good.

post-9338-0-17218200-1487673113_thumb.jpg

post-9338-0-05238900-1487673153_thumb.jpg

post-9338-0-41829600-1487673123_thumb.jpg

Then last step for the evening was cleaning up the stern counter for the planking it needs prior to final hull planking. Since those ends were under considerable tension at gluing this was the one place I was using lots of glue and accelerator to set a good hold quickly. I shouldn't have, at least you should never do that however tempting on anything you'll have to fiddle with later.

So endgrain reinforced with gobs of glue... where is my rotary tool?

post-9338-0-97905600-1487673115_thumb.jpg

Then finalize with a good medium-sized file.

post-9338-0-86409600-1487673118_thumb.jpg

All done ready for planking.

post-9338-0-66783400-1487673125_thumb.jpg

That's going to help me get used to the boxwood, first place I plan to use it tomorrow is here on this nice simple straight planking area.

Then since he'd been on his head for a while I decided to let him sit on his feet overnight. Starting to look like a cutter.

post-9338-0-75981900-1487673127_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty good Vossie, the second layer has a very good base.  It seems you have tamed the beast :)

cheers

Pat

No, I have reached the standoff phase where he's not shredding me to pieces while giggling, but I haven't even brought the saddle out of the house yet. Until then he's waiting for me to lose focus for one second :)

It'll be like that until you tie the last knot in the last bit of rigging and then you have to decide how you're going to display her! Not withstanding the hiccups along the way I must admit the whole exercise is pretty satisfying.

Rick

I spent almost all last evening thrashing around trying to make final decisions on wood colors. I experimented with a whole series of browns and yellows on the boxwood final planking, and mostly found out that boxwood does NOT like dye stains, the results were consistently badly blotchy with no correspondence to surface quality - i.e. I'd sanded the whole plank carefully just to avoid rough spot blotchiness. So this is chemistry somehow. There are things you can try to do to make wood behave for staining, conditioners and the like, but not worth the risk to me as they don't always work.

I don't really like pigment stains as no matter what they partially obscure the underlying grain and wood, but if someone has recommendations for boxwood, I'm listening. My original thought was a lighter than cocobolo milk chocalaty color for the lower planking. Crap now I want chocolate milk. So it wouldn't have to be a very dark stain.

Assuming nothing works there, that leaves me two choices for the final planking, the natural yellow of the boxwood or black; the blotchiness goes away if you stain it very dark brown or black. And it's a nice look, black with none of the surface character of the wood hidden by a layer of paint. So plan B color scheme is black lower planking (it's a reddish black too, works with cocobolo) with or without painting the bottom white (haven't decided on that either), natural boxwood along the bulkhead gunports, then back to black for the top rail.

There is boxwood stock for all the masts so I can blacken the yards the same way and have the mast natural.

But as mentioned, if anyone has a good light brown pigment stain for boxwood, I'd still like to look at that option.

Anyway here is the cocobolo with a mild red/brown stain to bring out its color and the boxwood planking in black and "white".

20170222_191807.thumb.jpg.dfdcc909f59127ec141b66409d15c60c.jpg

20170222_192058.thumb.jpg.ca9c0be54315293beda074f80c1e088f.jpg

I also have a small problem in that I thought the outside of the stern fascia piece was planked, and RICK WHO IS 137% RESPONSIBLE FOR PROTECTING ME FROM DOING SOMETHING STUPID LIKE THAT ( :) ) didn't say anything, so now I have a supposedly finished surface with paint and dings.

So I need to cover that too. I could do it with the boxwood but I was considering using holly for the lower two stern surfaces while having the counter black. I'm pretty sure that will either look really good or really bad, but I'm not sure which. I'm soliciting opinions here too.

Gave me an excuse to resaw one of my holly pieces, had them a while but never had a reason to use any. Holly looks all sweet and innocent sitting there, but take a saw blade to it and it instantly goes full-on nightmare beast. This is another advertisement for the Excalibur 16 scroll saw, with a new 12.5 TPI skip-tooth blade it was possible to resaw it accurately.

20170221_222348.thumb.jpg.0f6ab9e5e664e83176586bafe85fc986.jpg

And I thinned it down quite a bit with various small planes as the fascia piece at least just needs a veneer-thickness cover.

20170221_235508.thumb.jpg.7a47269b43076b7b1669856baa240d3c.jpg

And I need to try carving this, the detail possible would be really excellent.

20170221_235334.thumb.jpg.33f853ca59e03312bcb36e09c3c7b8e1.jpg

Edited by vossiewulf

I have not worked with boxwood much Vossie, but is it possible that it has natural oils and that this concentrates in some places more than others?  

As to the counter I think black would contrast quite well with the near white of holly and make the holly really pop - no harm in painting a bit of black on some off cut and use it as a visual reference/comparison?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

6 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

I also have a small problem in that I thought the outside of the stern fascia piece was planked, and RICK WHO IS 137% RESPONSIBLE FOR PROTECTING ME FROM DOING SOMETHING STUPID LIKE THAT ( :) ) didn't say anything, so now I have a supposedly finished surface with paint and dings.

I think I originally mentioned that if you weren't going to paint the fascia then you should plank it before mounting it, assuming that you'd also plank the exterior! ;)

I have planked mine as I don't see the ship builders getting a single slab that large in real life. My thoughts would be to use the black on the section that the rudder pierces if you go with the hull painted in white and the holly for the upper section. This latter has a surround which would look great then in black. However if you go with the natural wood hull then I'd switch the black and white timbers around. Please be aware that I'm not allowed to chose any sort of colour scheme at home and am required to carry a note from my wife if purchasing paint/stains! 

Just as a refresher - you're using a different thickness timber to for final planking and the capping rail assumes 1mm planking inside and outside the ply gunwales so you will probably need to make some sort of adjustment to the planking thickness on the inside of the gunwales when you get that far.

Rick :) 

Edited by Rick01

Glad you guys liked the holly idea, as I went ahead with it :)

Yes Pat, usually oils of some kind reacting with the alcohol carrier of the dye stain. And if alcohol reacts water probably will too, and that's the other option for aniline dyes, but I have never quite grasped the concept of a grain-raising stain so I have always stayed away.

In the end natural is probably best, but if anyone following has any ideas boxwood stain options, please let me know, I still would like to see a light brown.

Rick, being 137% responsible means also being responsible for ensuring I've read your advice :) It's a tough gig.

I thought single piece didn't make much sense either, see below. I'm not quite sure what you mean about the cap rail but at least I'll remember I have something to figure out with planking thickness on the bulkheads and the cap rail. The planking stock says 4mm x 1mm, it looked thinner at first. I haven't checked it yet but width is 4.08 - 4.10mm so I assume it's very slightly oversize. Edges are also straight and clean enough to make planking joints as is. This was my first order from Crown Timber but it looks like Jason takes his business very seriously.

So I took my holly piece above and machined in the tiller opening. My red paint has collected dings, will need to touch up.

20170222_220127.thumb.jpg.fd85d928894833bdd825b3a7013af3d9.jpg

I frequently use my digital caliper as a marking gauge, it has sharp and fully hardened steel jaws after all. Instead of cutting planks and trying to cut in the tiller operning once installed, I cut the opening first and then cut them into planks as it seemed way easier.

20170222_222338.thumb.jpg.9d0808a40cf59b02c56a1d33a34580dc.jpg

Or I will just walk it across the piece. Each time you move it you carefully and gently register the rear one in the mark you just made so you don't mar it, and immediately roll forward and put some pressure to make the next mark. If you practice you can get very accurate.

20170222_222602.thumb.jpg.38aac19cca2ec8dbbff761908632ddf7.jpg

I cut off the first two planks, but only scored this one. Because, you know, it's holding the rest together and I want those lines to be straight too.

20170222_223953.thumb.jpg.786e7c2bd5c7a02a5785fe31e0ec5208.jpg

Once I had the cuts done I marked half of them to be flipped to the other side. Although holly has hardly any grain, it still will help to make it look like a series of individual planks rather than all cut in order from the same piece.

20170222_230142.thumb.jpg.295093922820947bf23dcb4de4238f72.jpg

As I cut them apart, I used the piece to mark the plank layout on the fascia.

20170222_232204.thumb.jpg.9219a0c30e4d0cf67a96020048aacbd3.jpg

No pics here, but once I had everything laid out of course, random alignment check 12 zillion and eight found that the fascia was not as flat or as square as I remember it being. So there's about 40 minutes of knife and mini sanding block work in here first getting the fascia fully flat vertically and then relieving the port side so both sides had an equal slight curve.

Once that was done, on with gluing.

20170223_004617.thumb.jpg.e1fb5e6260dd9b472303661d5c981479.jpg

Basically cleaned up. I used my little baby scraper that I posted over in my tools thread to level out the planking, just like the big ones they can be highly precise tools if sharpened and burnished correctly.

20170223_013402.thumb.jpg.10080fb27cf9e13edf6dfdc730ce3e1a.jpg

And completely done with inner tiller opening filled with CA and sanded down and painted. I'll do the lower tomorrow before moving on to the hull planking. Also I need to get the counter out and get that joint right too, as you see the top of the fascia has a slight cant. I made sure the fascia planking was square to the keel so it's right, the top curve is currently wrong.

Rick is there anything else I should do before planking the hull? Not seeing anything.

20170223_023047.thumb.jpg.a91273f81339576e2aeb4cf376a6fb39.jpg

Edited by vossiewulf
Re-refixing spacing now they've reverted to old style paragraph breaks

I think it's all pretty well covered - the counter is a bit fiddly and needs playing with to fit tidily but once that's done final planking should go smoothly. You need to decide if you're going to plank over the cannon ports then reopen or cut sections to fit between.

Capping rail - sheet 2 part 45 (bottom right hand corner of the plan).

You also now need to contemplate removing the bulkhead tabs, then planking the interior of the gunwales before the decking is laid.

If I think of anything else I'll pop it on later today but as of now I'd say you ready to do the final planking.

Rick

Rick, I sincerely hope you didn't quote that part number off the top of your head, if so you need help even more than me :) And thanks, I will go look.

Yes I'm going to remove those bulkhead tabs now and plank the inner bulkhead surface first to get used to the harder boxwood, as of now that will be painted red so I could make some mistakes.

I haven't decided on continuous vs. leaving openings, probably the former as these are basically straight. If it were a trickier area with bending and twisting I'd be more inclined to use separate planks to separate those factors as much as possible into individual planks.

Tony, I was going back over the photos of cutters you provided. The things I need to think about that I came away with were:

• Deck furniture issues with the boom pin rail and windlass and position of pretty much everything, the first model showing the companionway forward under the boom and facing aft with different grate/light positions. One question here is the second model showed 3 additional hand-cranked small windlasses, what are those and were they common?
  • Topmast forward of the mainmast. 
  • Two sets of braces for main and top square sails. Only I don't understand why there are two sets, why not just run them forward to keep them clear of the spanker boom? Seems overly complicated to run them to two places.

Am I missing anything else important?

1 hour ago, Rick01 said:

Don't forget to watch out for the problem with the "wobble" in one of the gunwales you found earlier on!

Rick ;)

Good point, need to go address that, and thanks you are admirably fulfilling your role today :)  It wasn't in just one, it was in both and that's what made me wonder whether it was intentional. You see one drunk guy staggering about that's one thing, you see two doing it in exact unison and you suspect something else is up.

Edited by vossiewulf

No I did check the plans for the reference first!!

With the points that Tony's photos have brought up, it seems that cutters are a pretty individual ship with each shipyard/builder having his own idea as to where and what to place deck fixtures and fittings. Most have the top mast forward of the mainmast and the double bracing for the square sails also is common to the style of rigging. The hand cranks were only fitted where a "drop keel"was fitted see http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/86094.html so you may ignore this completely. 

Personally I planked the gunwales continuously then cut the ports out as it did help maintain rigidity whilst working on the hull.

Hope this all helps.

Rick

Ps One last suggestion - get the basic hull finished to the point that the painting and decking is done and stop. Then we look closely at the variations for deck furnishings, belaying points, rudder arm, etc. I didn't do this and now have a number of items that really could have been applied better. :(

Pps Cleats - before painting the bulwarks you may want to fit the cleats shown on sheet 4 marked 3 (top left illustration), however I'd put them much nearer the left hand cannon either above or just to the left of the scupper. Fits better with the rigging per Peterssons book.

Edited by Rick01
Keep forgetting things!!!

Of course it's all extremely helpful Rick, already would have run face first into several other walls without you pointing them out. Yes, there will be considerable thinking before placing any furniture, as you point out if there's a pattern I ain't seeing it. And thanks I will check out the cleats as well :)

Had another mostly spinning wheels evening when I realized not only was my stern not particularly symmetric, but that it was there before I planked it. Still shrugging at how I seemingly am endlessly checking symmetry only to see things like this staring me in the face. 

The worst part is that is it was the low side that I felt was wrong, so I had the much more painful job of building one side up rather than cutting one down. I'll post pics tomorrow, but let's say we need to get moving on the final planking because the stern sure is ugly right now. It's the right shape, but it's so ugly that a little boy who saw it ran out the door screaming "BAD BOAT! BAD BOAT!!" and I haven't seen him since. Still wondering how that kid got in here in the first place.

That's a question that I've never really considered. What constitutes "proper length" with a cutter? I'd have thought that a 50 ft plank wouldn't have been out of the ordinary during the 18th century. This one is a question for someone like Chuck or someone with more historical knowledge than me. I'd suggest asking it in the Building Framing, Planking section. Don't know that it would be harder - manoeuvring shorter lengths would make life easier in some aspects.

Rick 

4 hours ago, Rick01 said:

That's a question that I've never really considered. What constitutes "proper length" with a cutter? I'd have thought that a 50 ft plank wouldn't have been out of the ordinary during the 18th century. This one is a question for someone like Chuck or someone with more historical knowledge than me. I'd suggest asking it in the Building Framing, Planking section. Don't know that it would be harder - manoeuvring shorter lengths would make life easier in some aspects.

Rick 

Good suggestion, I replied to a topic that has the info I was looking for but for French ships. Cheerful seems to use 15'-20' planks.

I'll follow your 2nd planking with interest as I'm starting a scratch build of a local ship shortly ( topsail schooner Enterprize out of Hobart) and may just try shorter length planks. By the way we may have a little problem in a weeks time. I'm heading up country to Mildura and Lake Mungo so may not be as well off for internet connection - you may well be on your own for a few days but I do think we've covered most of the harder problems that may occur. ;) Sorry can't change my plans as this was arranged before we started on this voyage but I'm sure you'll cope. :o

Rick    

16 hours ago, Rick01 said:

I'll follow your 2nd planking with interest as I'm starting a scratch build of a local ship shortly ( topsail schooner Enterprize out of Hobart) and may just try shorter length planks. By the way we may have a little problem in a weeks time. I'm heading up country to Mildura and Lake Mungo so may not be as well off for internet connection - you may well be on your own for a few days but I do think we've covered most of the harder problems that may occur. ;) Sorry can't change my plans as this was arranged before we started on this voyage but I'm sure you'll cope. :o

Rick    

You mean you won't change your travel plans to support a guy you've never met build a model?? MONSTER!

I very much appreciate the help Rick but no apologies are necessary, I will just move ahead and blame you for anything bad that happens :)

I'm sure you originally wanted to explore building a kit ship and learn through first principles - me going on holiday for a few days is purely a chance to get back to self sufficiency in the build.:D

Rick

So this will cover the fix to the lack of symmetry in the lower counter that needed to be fixed prior to planking it and the planking.

That started with resawing more holly off the 1" turning blank.

20170223_193244.thumb.jpg.ad9c3c56010214bfab46a14a2d58807e.jpg

Just enough extra to flatten with some plane passes before sanding to final thickness.

20170223_194433.thumb.jpg.e213b3fb1fb44514cd0c922afda046ac.jpg

I was about to start cutting planks when I saw how assymetric the two sides of the lower counter were, so I put down the holly and as mentioned above, the worst part was I would have to build one side up, not cut one down. So I made a pattern, first soaking the area of short grain with thin supper glue and covering with with some as well so it wouldn't snap off during shaping.

20170223_203212.thumb.jpg.d517933b3fc663ed3c9471f17436ff35.jpg

Bad angle here not clearly showing how much shorter it was than the pattern, and also it would need to be filled in well onto the fuselage to replicate the other side.

20170223_210329.thumb.jpg.f2863cec52b3dc3f05ac6e005ed3ee9d.jpg

And this was also a fun part- it would have been easy of course to use filler and be done in 10 minutes, but this will be a high-tension glue spot for the final planking, and filler isn't a good substrate for that, so I had to make a wood piece, and that wasn't easy since the surface being glued to was curving in all directions and the wood piece had to cover a convex and a concave curve.

20170223_214046.thumb.jpg.540f44bb8936aad14f73c7f29a518134.jpg

I filled the remaining area with other wood pieces and also some poor-man's particle board that was wood chips mixed with CA. I then started working it down to the right size.

20170223_233315.thumb.jpg.a54da341f3522aa0a90c712a04e150a8.jpg

OTOH, a little bit of filler between two solid glue points is fine.

20170223_234036.thumb.jpg.2b577eee4b10853e6fea2ac6457d393f.jpg

And eventually with lots of file and sandpaper work I brought it down to intended size and now these two sides are much closer. I stopped here as the final shaping should occur after the planking is in place.

20170224_010655.thumb.jpg.7cdf250ecf63e0321db9df583f401135.jpg

So, on to planking.

20170224_020525.thumb.jpg.2630e3e260041f2e1019543e9970abf7.jpg

Here I decided it was a good point to stsrt cleaning up the rudder post, so I did so with 120g, removing all dings and getting the sanding scratches at least going in the right direction. Once that was done I taped it over before proceeding, and here we are near the end of the planking.

As you can see, I turned the last pieces 90 degrees, and scarphed them into the previous pieces as it seemed like something they would do in this case, and I'm test fitting the final piece.

20170224_235639.thumb.jpg.569bcda052500fa8dfe2dce1a4e4a61d.jpg

Once that was in place it was time to sand and shape the planks down to the lower counter, and then do some final shaping on the lower counter.

20170225_003542.thumb.jpg.5bd239cf656acd6800dca23305440f61.jpg

After careful work, planking and hull are continuous and sufficiently symmetric to pass muster.

20170225_011949.thumb.jpg.0e4e61e88e404060d9255007003914b9.jpg

And now need to level and sand that planking so we taped over the previous planking to protect it as well. Once again I used my little scraper to first level the planking.

20170225_013337.thumb.jpg.80d6f81e013ee12a3a19b0e2b09381a9.jpg

And then sanded down and the lower tape removed again.

20170225_022201.thumb.jpg.b67fbf587f7cfe67b3f4d3a42259e9d9.jpg

Finally, that joint between lower counter and fascia looked like something that would have been reinforced, so I added to pieces beveled in out of boxwood planking, and dyed it black for contrast. These needed to go on now, and I'll just have to do my best to tape them over and protect them as much as possible during final planking and sanding of the counter and fascia.

20170225_033628.thumb.jpg.9bda25800e82c57220b7fc99f082ed07.jpg