Santa Maria by rodgerdodger - FINISHED - Mantua - 1:50 1492

Having finished the model a review of the kit is appropriate.

I chose the Mantua kit as it appeared to be the best design of the alternatives available.  Still believe this and am quite happy with the result.

However for a novice modeller I think the Mantua Santa Maria would be a challenge.  Not because of the design itself but because of the lack of good instructions and conflicting details in the manual and the drawings.  Even the picture of the model on the box did not match the instructions or materials provided particularly in regard to the rigging.   The manual consisted of pictures only (no written instructions whatsoever) and the quality of the modeling illustrated in the manual was average.  The drawings were detailed and impressive but again contained conflicting details.  The rigging in particular would be difficult for a novice in the absence of written explanations and the rigging and sail materials provided.

For an experienced modeller the Mantua kit would be disappointing. For example the preprinted decks and gunwales (I decided to buy deck planking), the use of balsa for the first planking (I purchased limewood in lieu), the quality of the timber provided (but this didn’t concern me as I coloured the timber anyway), the rigging (in scale, not quality), and the sails (which I made in alternative material).   

Despite the above I have finished up with a small but interesting model with I reckon lots of character.   I was able to build it in a reasonable time period of seven calendar months less a couple while on hols.  It does not have the perfection that I see in other models on MSW but it suits the purpose and will go well in my son’s study or living room I am sure.

Previous builds include:

Cutty Sark (AL)

Brittania (Mamoli)

Lexington (Aeropiccola)

La Couronne (Corel)

Santa Maria (Mantua)

I think you can be pretty contented with your result despite your misgivings.  It looks well designed and executed from the photographs and I'm sure, many years hence, you will feel proud of having made a silk purse out of what you considered to be a pig's ear!

Congratulations on a fine bit of modelling.

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Congratulations on finishing a fine build. Well done!

What's next on the slipway for you?

Thankyou Mark, Grant and Harry for your feedback.  A compliment or two goes a long way when working in isolation, as we do, in this hobby our ours.  I am getting a bit long in the tooth to tackle another major project but I will have to find something to fill in those spare moments.  I am looking at a paddle steamboat (no rigging!) just for a change but in no hurry yet.

I have made a nameplate for the Santa Maria which has come up pretty well.  I think I will post a log on how I made it under building techniques.

post-2544-0-60447900-1376631226_thumb.jpg

Previous builds include:

Cutty Sark (AL)

Brittania (Mamoli)

Lexington (Aeropiccola)

La Couronne (Corel)

Santa Maria (Mantua)

I can see you have completed your model. She looks great. I am building SM too but the solutions provided by the manufacturer are out of space sometimes. My version seems to be an earlier edition. I treat her as a tutorial to do more serious project which is HMS Pandora (Constructo). 

I'd be grateful if you could look at my building log and add a comment. If have any advice - be my guest. Regards, Paweł

Edited by jastrząb

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Rodger,

A truly stunning build that I have thoroughly enjoyed watching come together.

My only question at this point ... what about the Nina and Pinta ??

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 4 months later...

Nice build.  Thanks for the review of the kit - always interesting to see the differences in the manufacturers.

- Bug

• 2 months later...

Dear Rodgerdoger. I have just sent away for this model and looked to find some hints about building the Santa Maria. Your comments and photographs, modifications to planking colour schemes are interesting. I am intrigued by the screw pins, never heard of them. I know that there are similar items used when building small aircraft. My models have been plastic but I have built a bond wood power boat and a 12m racing yacht, but now I make things in my den.

Congratulations on a wonderfully completed model. As the Spanish would say. Vaya con dios.

Apprentice Vonpapen