Sultana by Overworked724 (Patrick) – FINISHED - Model Shipways – Scale 1:64 – Solid Hull – First Wooden Model Ship

Excellent work!  Congratulations!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Came out beautiful, bet you're already itching for the next one!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Beautiful and inspiring work!

Congratulations 🎉

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Dear @lmagna, @ccoyle, @GrandpaPhil, @thibaultron, @DocBlake, @jablackwell, @yvesvidal, @Estoy_Listo, @Bill Brown, @Sea Hoss, and @captgino,

Sincere thanks for your very kind kudos!  In truth, I was equally motivated by the occasional 'thumbs up' and supportive comments from you all on this forum as I was by my own shipmates at Midwest Model Shipwrights! 

Looking back, I would still choose the Sultana as my first wood model ship - if simply for the opportunities to think outside of the box to solve little problems, as well as develop some useful skill sets.  True, the Sultana was not a fully planked hull...but my next build will be.  Also, since rigging will no longer be an unknown terror , I can be doubly focused on approaching the planking and woodwork. 

My next build will be the Woody Joe model Charles Royal Yacht.  (Should be fun...the directions are in Japanese!)  That project will start in June or July, so I can focus on work, home, and trying my hand at rope making!  (Yes...I bought a Syren Rope Rocket...I'll be posting my efforts in another section of the forums when I have something to post!)

Thanks again, All!!!

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

And finally under plexiglass. Looks too big but in fact I have exactly 2” off top, bottom and sides.

I got a 1769 colonial half pence to put in front of the bow. This is actually a 250yr old coin which was in circulation in the colonies when Sultana was on duty being the King of England’s tax enforcer.  (There are thousands of these coppers, and it’s a cheap coin...but the history can really make you dream.)

Who knows...this half pence may even have been collected under the Sultana’s watch as part of port taxes paid for tea off loaded from an East India Trading Co. ship docked in Boston!  Cool stuff!

DDCDE4B1-2959-4DA5-83B8-FA072CA90552.thumb.jpeg.f81fc12ca40e588c3cf2941fc1097d56.jpeg

D38436C8-CB44-40D2-BED3-59A822AC1A49.thumb.jpeg.d30d847377edacc276dbd0b7b27bc00b.jpeg

Moving on...to the final destination!!!  The Admiral’s dining room!  Last pic for this blog to come tomorrow!!!

Edited by Overworked724

And here it is...She is in her new home on the Admiral’s server!!

This is my final post for this already too long building blog!  See you mates around the forum!  Next build to start summer 2019!

:dancetl6:

Enjoy!!!049D67E6-7E53-4153-984D-13AA694FCA45.jpeg.5cefe3cea7ed7c5d28e453c4806a157f.jpeg

307A4109-3C61-4003-83EA-F0994C9F0502.thumb.jpeg.968979c513f3ed9870204af0cf02d82c.jpeg

F8921E9E-7BAF-43E8-97C7-B5D536A90AA6.thumb.jpeg.0d5f389db1f9ca194c24c7d5cb821c47.jpeg

I'm jealous Patrick

Even if I was able to make a ship as nice as you have I have no place as nice to display it!

Your build has been anything but too long. I for one have enjoyed all of it and found it interesting throughout.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Patrick,

If this is your first real attempt a wooden ship model, we're all in trouble. Can't imagine the next will be like. We Will come to your place to put you in your place! So think long and hard....

Kurt

😁 Thanks for the smile, @Kurt Johnson!  In truth, this is my first model!  But, she is riddled with ‘tactfully camouflaged’ mistakes!  Can’t wait to start the next project!

Patrick, 

There are a whole bunch of Sultana’s out there. It’s really nice kit of a nice subject. I doubt anyone thought “here goes another one” with your build. Seriously, yours is very well done. The presentation really shows her at her best. If you can camouflage your mistakes, then they aren’t mistakes.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

On 5/3/2019 at 11:05 AM, lmagna said:

I'm jealous Patrick

Even if I was able to make a ship as nice as you have I have no place as nice to display it!

Your build has been anything but too long. I for one have enjoyed all of it and found it interesting throughout.

Very much appreciated, Lou!

And celebrating with sushi and a cold pilsner (Miller lite) in a color changing glass!!  

:cheers:

Could not help but post one last photo!  

Cheers, Shipmates!!!

0FA84C71-0F27-41A5-909B-F4F14DB40A04.thumb.jpeg.e9ea0ec6095455af453327dcb047f234.jpeg

07850A3E-D30E-41F2-9179-78E5503E7430.thumb.jpeg.b6f4e51853e5a9ad4540d201c38c17b6.jpeg

E5FDB050-3B3A-4973-AE97-C1D62DEF3115.thumb.jpeg.945c6c263cdbebdc6e309144378f4f47.jpeg

Edited by Overworked724

Thank you @DocBlake and @Red Rhino!

As Doc Blake mentioned, I entered my HMS Sultana as a contestant in The 43rd Annual  Midwestern Model Ships & Boats Contest and Display at the Mannitowoc Maritime Museum in Wisconsin. 

I was really happy to receive a Gold Award at the Novice level, but both surprised and honored to receive the Best Novice Builder award!  It was really a wonderful event this year and great timing for me to enter my little ship in the event!  (And the people/modelers are just awesome!!)

But even more meaningful to me was closing the final chapter of this blog/build on such a high note!  

So, as my final build entry, I’m posting the picture of my ‘little ship that could’ in her place of honor on our  dining room server, upon her return from the Maritime Museum, bordered by her two awards, with the build log and historic log in the background!  

3EB338C7-57F3-41F5-8D97-53373AE4B66A.thumb.jpeg.7c0436d341852e4617c520e405333b83.jpeg

:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Moving on...to my next build/project!!!

Edited by Overworked724

Wonderful job on the model and a much deserved Gold medal.  Congrats!!!   What a fun way to end a build log!!!

Chuck

• 3 months later...

Patrick, Congratulations!  I spoke to you last night at the Midwest meeting as I'm the "new guy" there.  What a wonderful group.

Appreciate your encouragement and I'm going to take a very close look at your build log as this is truly an inspiration for individuals such as myself that are a perpetual novice.

Thanks,

Steve 

Congratulations Patrick

You have a beautiful ship build and display and the trophies are well deserved! Thanks for allowing me to share over the last couple of years.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey