Sultana by Overworked724 (Patrick) – FINISHED - Model Shipways – Scale 1:64 – Solid Hull – First Wooden Model Ship

Could not resist using the walnut on the transom. A little tung oil...and the grain really pops. It may be a mistake, but what the heck....

IMG_9537.JPG

IMG_9538.JPG

Edited by Overworked724

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

It is your model so do what you think looks best. The grain is attractive. :)

Russ

Well, I have actually made a few transoms...and realized I could still attempt the walnut with a different technique. Had to be very careful and drill out the perimeters of the Windows...then slowly carve them out. Glued the basswood window section together to give it strength after bending. Have a plan to attach thectransom and include windows in a different manner than Chucks method.

We we shall see. Looks nice off the ship...fingers crossed. 

The volutes are difficult. Following Chuck's example, I'm trying Sculpy. I am not a sculptor but his practicum made it look easy. Not. 

After trial is land error, finally got a system to produce some half decent volutes. 

Toothpicks are amazing tools. 

IMG_9589.JPG

IMG_9590.JPG

IMG_9591.JPG

IMG_9592.JPG

Thanks Russ. They are very tiny. Hard to get the right scale. Proof is always in the pudding. But they look fairly decent. 😁

Today was 'cap rail' day in the shipyard. One thing which I was dreading was trying to create and attach the cap rails for the bow and the transom. 

The bow cap rail was easy enough. But once again, the transom cap rail involved some thinking as Chuck's awesome practicum assumes you know a bit about planking and/or woodworking...I am still learning!  So...how to get that severe bend around the transom, while also adjusting for the curvature of the stern at the same time. 

A plank bender coupled with force bending --  I see many hospital bills in my future. So...how is the transom cap rail any different than planking a ship?  So...since wood wants to go where it goes, I 'prefit' the plank by using an index card to check the fit. Then scroll saw...wet the plank...plank bender...and wrap around one of my transom attempts as a molding jig. 😊

We we shall see. But the current results are promising. 

IMG_9599.JPG

IMG_9600.JPG

IMG_9601.JPG

IMG_9602.JPG

IMG_9603.JPG

That looks good. Different challenges require different solutions. I spend a good deal of time just thinking about how to get a particular piece made. The first pass is rarely the last, but it is fun and it keeps the mind active. Good work.

Russ

Perfectly simple solution to the mast rake drilling. It never pays to overthink the problem.

Nice work.

Regards

• 1 month later...

IMG_9761.JPG.a4745a2b6aae23a7bbfa8c27f7c8fe30.JPGWell...work delay. Back in the saddle. Tired and a bit stressed, but nothing a few hours in Ship room can't cure. 

Put on fcsl deck.  Moving on...

IMG_9757.JPG

IMG_9758.JPG

IMG_9759.JPG

It is good that you got some more work done. The fore deck looks good.

Russ

Pat:

Nice work. 

Did you get back already or yet to leave?

Got the check yesterday.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi Kurt

We leave for Japan next Wednesday so will miss the MMS meeting. Looking forward to visiting the Rope's exhibit in Tokyo's Ginza district next week. Will take many pictures!

Hope to get the deck finished before I leave. The volutes are a bit of a pain...needed to work on something I could get visual progress in!!  

Pat

Smart thing...thinking ahead is hard, but the club mates gave me excellent ideas. 

Although i am planking my decks, I still will have an option to mount her upside down (to work on keel/transom/rudder) since I put the mounting screw holes dead center of where the deck gratings will be. 

Moving along....

IMG_9768.JPG

Almost done with deck. Forecastle, main and quarter deck done. Definitely turned out better than I expected. Planking near the bulkhead was a challenge as the taper was a bit difficult to gauge...ended up eyeballing/sanding a lot. 

Off to Japan now for 2.5 weeks. Hope I have a job when I return!  Until then, the poop deck will be sitting first on the shipyard TODO list. ⛵️😌

IMG_9825.JPG

IMG_9826.JPG

IMG_9827.JPG

IMG_9828.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Almost done with deck. Forecastle, main and quarter deck done. Definitely turned out better than I expected. Planking near the bulkhead was a challenge as the taper was a bit difficult to gauge...ended up eyeballing/sanding a lot. 

Off to Japan now for 2.5 weeks. Hope I have a job when I return!  Until then, the poop deck will be sitting first on the shipyard TODO list. ⛵️😌

Haha. Just noticed I drafted it did not submit my post prior to vacation. Am now back and the Rope exhibition in Tokyo was phenomenal!

also...I finished the deck. Now to attack the volutes. Then I can paint and move on the transom, whales, and rudder.  Will amuse myself by prepping the gratings at the same time. 😎

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

Nice progress Patrick! Did you get any pictures at the exhibit in Japan;)? What have you been using to finish your decks? They look very nice.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hi Elijah

I have tons of photos from the Rope exhibition in Tokyo.  However, I have so many, I am afraid I can't post them all without using up my site memory limit!  However, you can view the exibit at the link below (I believe they posted pictures already):

https://theropetokyo-en.jimdo.com/

Thanks also for your compliment on my finished deck.  My clubmate, Alan, recommended I use tung oil - and it is amazing stuff.  Easy to apply, safe (no solvents), but takes a little while to dry.  Wipes on with cloth or brush.  If you look at the first picture above, my bottle of tung oil is in the background.  Bought it off amazon!

Nice work on the deck. The planking and treenails look very neat.

Russ

Ok. Going to throw this out there. If you don't have a club, use a forum. Invaluable having more experienced folk chiming in on a problem. So...."What was my problem?" You may ask. 

In a word...'waterways'. I am following, Chuck Passaro's awesome practicum (thank you, Chuck!) which shows the inclusion of waterways along the seam between the bulkhead and the deck. Scuppers (fake) are drilled into them to complete the illiusion. But!!!! My bulkheads obviously don't have the same clearance. True, I could fashion some semblance of waterways but they would not look clean...and frankly, they would detract from the look of the face plates and inner bulkheads in my opinion. 

So, I floated my problem at my club mates and all said the same thing..."It's your ship!"  So...I decide to err on the side of historical innacuracy and leave out the waterways. So let it be written...so let it be DONE!  So says pharoah. 😜

One to the the next thing.  

Hey howya goin Patrick mate, shes looking great mate.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Making the grating housings (or whatever you call them). These little bits of wood are SMALL!!!!  I had been mulling over how to make a clean right angle between the pieces without going crazy. 

During my my recent trip to Japan, a convenient trip to BIC Camera yielded an unexpected prize. "Micro Lego Blocks" set. TaaDaaaaa!!!!  My frame for gluing my little grating frames. 😜

Also....why paint the grating 'holes' (i.e. Wood) black when a permanent marker can do the same job with less mess.  😊

Gratingsto to be completed soon. Volutes in progress. 

Moving on. 

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

Well...grating and coamings done. The gratings were a pain, but not as much as the volutes!!!  But I got 2 more on. Will focus on Sunday to get them done...

moving on.....

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG