Sultana by Overworked724 (Patrick) – FINISHED - Model Shipways – Scale 1:64 – Solid Hull – First Wooden Model Ship

Hi Ron -

I've been follow Chuck's great practicum (and deviating in many cases - mostly due to mistakes I make!) in large part.  The gratings/coamings look a LOT better than the cheap metal fittings that are provided in the kit.  I can see myself fiddling with the quarter badges and figurehead as well. 

As far as the volutes - yess - I used sculpy.  A lot of trial and error...see one of my earlier posts for preparing the volutes.  They are tiny...but making the little things are not the challenge - it's getting them to stay on!  Since they are very tiny - making the thin tube of sculpy (rubbing progressively smaller snakes of sculpy between your palms) is easy...then simply use a couple of toothpicks to gently roll up one end...then bake per directions.  Taadaaa....tiny volutes that look great - until you try to get them on the bloody ship!

I've found a couple of things which make this a bit more difficult.  First, they don't sit flush, and have gaps between the wooden bulkhead and the cap rail once fit into position.  So...when I go to even out the cap rail by filling in the gap between two corresponding volutes with wood filler....I can see the stuff oozing out when I don't wish it to ooze.  So, the glue I am using is carpenter's wood glue.  It sets up faster than white elmers (PVA) - but still gives you time to move the little things around and position them correctly...a couple min later they are set and you can move on.  Another nice thing - the carpenters wood glue is think...son I filled in the gap between two corresponding volutes and let is dry....it creates a litte pocket which should hold the wood filler quite nicely when I go to fill in the gaps and even the cap rail.  At least - that is my hope!

Sculpy is actually pretty neat stuff...I would never have tried it had it not been for Chuck's write up!

One thing more - I have found that the Sultana, as a first wooden ship build, is a great learning experience.  Chucks practicum takes it to a new level, and requires more time - but time well spent if you don't rush. 

Moving on!!

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

Patrick,

Your model is coming along really well. The sculpy carvings are perfect. Keep up the great work.

Regards

Sigh. Well...got a bit more done. The volutes are on! 😎 Not perfect, or especially pretty...but better than a sharp stick in the eye (as mom used to say...she was a charmer).

...also got the ring bolts (used thin wire...easy) on the cross planks which cover the loading hatch. (Sorry...I know these aren't the correct nautical terms but I'm tired!)

see below...moving on!

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

The moment I've been postponing...trying to finish the volutes!  😜 Since I plan to paint the cap rail after finishing the volutes, I taped off the ship prior to filling the volute gaps with wood filler. 

Hope these pics help help anyone planning to take up the Sultana. 

I used Elmers wood filler and diluted with tap water (a little bit at a time) until it was the consistency of Jello pudding (my favorite). 

Used a small spatula to fill gaps...as it dries, it will depress a bit due to water evaporation...but it dries pretty fast so simply  repeated (about 3-4 times) with additional filler as needed. Used a very fine sanding stick (foam padded nail polishing stick you can buy at the cosmetic section in Walgreens!) to sand and level out the filling in rails. 

Looks can can be deceiving. To my finger, the rails feel smooth so will move on with painting (gasp!!) the cap rails black. 

Moving on....

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

Proof is literally in the 'pudding'. Turned out better than I expected. Have a few spots/errors to touch up but not a bad result. 👍🏽

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

A few spots need a paint touch up. Nothing major.

Lesson learned after my first attempt at making the coamings/gratings. Make the coamings around the gratings!  I made the coamings first. Which meant I had to fiddle with the gratings to get them to fit. What the heck was I thinking!!! ???🙄

Moving on on ... to the wales. 

IMG_1103.JPG

• 3 months later...

Took a small sabbatical to deal with visitors from Japan, summer fun, and food poisoning...the latter was not fun.  Back at it now.  Finished the trim on the transom and made the block for the traveler rod.  Need to attach to transom but terrified I'll drill too far and pierce the transom by mistake when making the mounting holes.  (Nail biting tense)

Also made an executive decision on the gudgeons and pintles.  Making them out of copper is beyond my skill at present.  So decided to use paper and metal pins.  Trial attempts look pretty decent...will mount them on the rudder get them painted. 

Will send a photo once mounted. 

Note - always an error in the mix.  I just realized I made the bloody rudder too short.  ROFL!!!  Improvision will win out I'm sure...

Hello Patrick

Great job on your build. I have this kit in the Queue as well and I like looking in advance at how others do it right so that when my time comes I might have a chance!

"Food poisoning"? Any chance you did, (Or didn't do) something that upset the Admiral?

I'll leave now.........

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hi Lou...

Chuck's practicum is probably the most thorough teacher/guide for the Sultana.  However, you may find yourself, like me, deviating according to your tastes.  I underestimated how much actual 'scratch building' there is in the kit...but it is quite the fun project.  Most importantly, it gives you some training wheels as you learn the process...so it's a perfect starter kit from that perspective.  Any future kits (and my next one is purring on idle in the shipyard....waiting to be unpacked) will go much smoother due to the learning on this one!!

Just a note...the food poisoning was from raw oysters at a restaurant!  The Admiral (my wife) ate the same ones (but not as many) and only I was affected.  Not exactly fair - but now I can boast that I barely survived (not too far from the truth) and that she surely would have died if she'd contracted the same bacterial infection!!  In other words, I took one for the team!!  (Funny how guilt trips will work on husbands but not on wives...unfair that...)

Best

Patrick

Edited by Overworked724

Ok. Moving on. The rudder. Made it too short so the rudder arm was never going to look right once attached. Frankly, it probably would have been scratching the deck once attached. Not exactly historically accurate. So...rebuild the rudder!?  Nope. I like the idea of adapting so decided to extend it since WOOD IS FORGIVING so they say.  While looking for a good source of wood, my wife suggested a fireplace matchstick. WaaaaLaaa!

Also shown is the block of the traveler arm. This little sucker was a real pain to build. I made two. One you see in the pics below...the other is somewhere in the ductwork of our house...as the first attempt popped out of the tweezers and into the heating vent. 😔 Sigh. 

IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG

Patrick

I have thought for some time that Chuck's practicum is probably the best thing that ever happened to this kit! For that matter to solid hull kits/builds in general and that Model Shipways is missing the boat so to speak by not modifying the kit to reflect the modified building method. I hate having to carve out the bulwarks and making them thin enough to be scale. They include his practicum on their website but have not made any alterations to the hull or included the additional material in the kit.

In the case of taking one for the team, you can't win there because as the male half of team you are EXPECTED to take all the damage if there is any need. :huh: I suppose the best you can hope for is a pat on the head by your wife for doing a good boy. (Or more likely in my case get chewed out for being stupid!)

Lou 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nice work Patrick! Are those pin heads in the block?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hi Elijah!

Yes. Those are pinheads from some very small pins (my wife is a crafty seamstresses). I used my micro drill bits...forgot the drill bit size...and enlarged the block holes.  Then I drilled into the sides of the block some small holes for the pins. Cut the pins to fit...then a dab of CA glue on the tip and inserted into the block.  Pretty easy to describe. Hard to do. (Hint. Get a magnifying glass!)

Well...TGIF!  

Finally decided to bear down and attack the ladder. The thing is tiny and scratch building it (even with the help of the small ladder schematic in Chuck's practicum) is difficult. 

I tried a few techniques to get a straight ladder and let's just say I was demoralized by the results. Also considered (and tried) using heavy paper. No dice. 

Finally jumped on line a saw a YouTube video of a lady making a dollhouse ladder using toothpicks and a drill. Easy enough!  I just scaled down and used two pins (clipped with wire cutters) to make the tiny frame... Then added the steps. WaaaaLaaaa!!!

Not perfect. But also not awful. Will NOT be trying to improve on this result. 

Moving on....

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

IMG_2415.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

Literally; "out of the mouth of babes."

Beautiful work all the way through. Your deck planking is one of the neatest and crispest I have seen.

Regards

Thank you, CA!

My journey has been frought with errors. There will be more before it's over!  But the deck planking did turn out decently, much to my surprise!!!

Update:  Wales are ready...but too terrified to put them on tonight for fear of screwing up. Instead I finished the traveler rod and block on the transom. 

Moving on...tomorrow... after a beer!👍🏽

IMG_2431.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

Edited by Overworked724

Wales on...but a heart attack narrowly averted due to the intervention of Chivas Regal. I mean...come on!  Isn't there an easier way to put on wales?  I preshaped (via plank bender) and prepainted. But this was still a difficult task. I only have two hands, and each wale was like getting control of a pissed off 2 year old!!!  

Result was ok, but needed to double up wood glue with some spots of slow CA (Zap a Gap). I hate using that stuff, but saw no alternative. Next time, I'm predrilling some holes and using nails. Will paint the edges and leave the front unpainted until it's on the ship. Then will use wood filler/paint after the wales are on and set. 🙄

Moving on... Thank God!

IMG_2443.JPG

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2449.JPG

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

Edited by Overworked724

Trimmed off the excess wales hanging off the stern. Added the stern trim which evens out the slight overhang left over. Actually looks fairly good. Used a 1mm square basswood length, painted then cut to fit. 

Nothing to stop me from adding the transom except the bloody rudder. 😑

Sigh. Will take it up with ship club on Wednesday. 

On on a side note...I hate the paint job I did on the transom.  every time I make progress I feel like I make more mistakes. Ugh. I can understand now that a ship that looks perfect to an outsider is a graveyard of errors to its builder that only the builder can see. 🤔

Moving on.....

IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

I may not know, but it looks nice to me!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Yeah...I have not put transom on yet. It's the difference between airbrush and paint brush.  I used too thick paint and the brush strokes stand out. Debating redoing the transom (again). 

On a a high note...the wales turned out pretty decent. 😊

OW,

Just a little nit pick.

Look at photo 1 of wales at the transom. Port end grain is parallel to the transom. Stbd is angled. The same is shown in photos 2-4. You may want to correct this if this is not to due camera distortion.

Coming along very nicely. I'll get back to my Sultana one of these days. My Victory really has me hooked right now.

Regards

Hi CA

Nope - that's simply the way the angle of the wales ended.  The port wale angle a bit more than strbd right at the transom.  Minor issue - and not one I will fret about. When looking stright on, it's equal, and from the top you won't even notice it.

Best

Pat

Wellll....screw it. That transom could be better but it could be worse, too!  Besides, it's not too bad for my fifth attempt. 🙄

So, on it went. Damn the torpedos. Time for for a few baby pictures of my build. Then it's off for a beer and a couple days off due to work and club meeting. 

One thought. I no longer believe this is an acceptable 'beginner' kit. First, it's a block of wood with plans. No real kit here. Honestly, without Chuck's practicum and my ship club, I would probably have thrown in the towel. Still might!!! But the frustration of failure has been drowned out by some really good successes and great experience. Will sally forth and hope for the best!  👍🏽  I already have the 'fashion pieces' (the edge pieces that cover the corner seams on the stern between transom and Wales) planned. Then it 's on the next interesting adventure on this build!!

moving on.....

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG

Edited by Overworked724

Ok...I got to say...the walnut transom outer veneer looks awesome. Not historically accurate, but sweet just the same. Love the contrast. 😁

Moving on....to drink my beer.

Edited by Overworked724

After ship club last night - I have some newfound confidence.  I am not longer worried about the rudder anymore, but no longer have a clear picture on how best to mount it...so will prepare a few more rudder mock ups to have for examining some alternative pintle/gudgeon ideas.

In the meantime, will move on with preparing the deck furniture.  Moving on...

Made two additional rudders without the gaps for pintles/gudgeons. Try a few honestly valiant efforts on the ship. 

Also crafted together the guts of my binacle. Feet of the binacle made out of toothpicks cross section. 😊  Took a slightly different route but it turned out ok.  Will use Manila folder (thick paper) to makes doors. Then paint and move on. 

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2502.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

Ok. Binnacle is done. Used Manila folder for doors, and painted the tip of a 3mm dowel gold and the very top of the dowel white. Trimmed off the 'pseudo compass' with a razor blade. Door handles are shortened pins. Also added side bolts which will be used to 'tie down' the binnacle to the deck. 

Chuck Passaro is right. It looks a thousand times better. Photos below. Time well spent and supremely satisfied with my first binnacle!!!

Moving on....

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

The more I zoom in on the deck in these photos...the more I realize I could have done much better on my gratings!!! 🙄