When does a piece of wood, whether it's part of a slab, a veneer or a plank, get thrown out.  I'm collecting a small pile of offcuts and I'm wondering if I should be keeping these.  Also the remnants of the sheets of the laser cut out parts (what's left over after you remove all the parts).  I have had use for a lot of the scrap including the leftover laser sheets. But I think that I'm keeping stuff that is simply junk.  Does anyone have a rule of thumb?

I have a lot of scrap wood left over from projects.  I find that if the piece is big enough to handle easily I keep it.  Really small stuff gets tossed.  Also if I find that I am accumulating a lot of one type of material, like the left overs from kit laser cut sheets, I tend to throw out the less useful bits.  No rules, just do what works for you.

I've got a dedicated drawer in my workbench for scraps.  I probably toss too much stuff in there, but it comes in handy.  I also toss any misc. jigs I make from wood in there when I'm done.  I've been able to repurpose a number of them.  I've realized that I reach for wood from the scrap drawer before I reach for the kit's material, and I've been finding that I often have a little piece that will work better than the kit provides (especially for all the little buildings on the deck!)

Unfortunately my drawer is a wire mesh material, so I'm constantly fighting the tiny pieces of brass that slips through the bottom of the drawer.