US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

I've rigged the first shroud. I have to say that since this kit came with such poor pieces to make deadeyes and chainplates, that this was the most difficult part of this build. I had to purchase and devise multiple concepts before I even got all the deadeyes and chainplates rigged. They are far from perfect and poor next to all my other builds, but this is what I wound up with.

first shroud 001.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

well I have an interesting post to our site! I Blew Myself Up ,BOOM” i’ve Been I The Maricopa County Bern Center tor three weeks.

I was spraying some pant sealant when the can just blew up. It had nothing to do with my build but many of us do use sprayer paint so this serves as a very serious warning.

Holy Cr@p, RIch! Sre you going to be ok?? Three weeks in  burn unit sounds rather serious, what on earth happened?? nYou say the can blew up, was there a pilot light nearby? that happened to a guy I used to work with years ago, he was cleaning contact cement off of a counter he just installed and he didnt shut off the waterheater pilot, burned himself and the customeres kitchen.

Hope your going to be ok and will be back at your build soon.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. To answer everyone's  question of the day....there was no open flame near me when it blew! Careful with stuff like FlexSeal. My  hands are burned so no boat building for a while. :piratetongueor4:

Rich, 

I just read up regarding FlexSeal. Nasty stuff, as it can solution can explode just by electrostatic touch.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I just got out of the hospital and I'm champing at the bit to get back to my boat. My bandaged "claw" hand still can't tie the tiny knots just yet

out of the hospital 002.JPG

Get well Rich , I'm counting on you to show me how to build my Syren. take your time and rest a while. Us old timers need lots of rest anyway.

Edited by Dwight

Dwight

current build : Fair America by Model Shipways

Completed Build : 18th Century Armed Longboat by Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Under the bench : Syren by Model Shipways ,, Rattlesnake by Model Shipways

5 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

I just got out of the hospital and I'm champing at the bit to get back to my boat. My bandaged "claw" hand still can't tie the tiny knots just yet

out of the hospital 002.JPG

Oh my GOD!!!   I know you might be in pain....and I really do hope you heal quickly and without issue!  But DAMN!...I can totally relate to your passion for your ship!!  Watching with interest!  Get better soon!

:dancetl6:

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

Yes, rest up...take time to play out your build in your mind with the plans and manual, we can never have enough preparation for the complete run of the build.

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

WOW Rich

You certainly know how to do a good job! I have come to the conclusion that we have entered into the accident season and everyone is getting busted up to one degree or another.:( Take it easy and hope you are able to get back on the build soon. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I'm back!  I was able to trim the first shroud I rigged before the explosion and I now just started the second shroud with my crippled hands. They still work...but slow but sure. It's great to get back into my shipyard after five weeks in the hospital.

Thanks for all your kind words.

I'm back! 001.JPG

Glad to see you back in action!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

All you beer drinkers will get a kick out this!  When I checked into the burn hospital I told the head doctor that I needed a Kiltlifter beer with my dinner and if it was possible to do that? He said....absolutely! Then promptly   wrote a prescription for one Kiltlifter beer each night. They locked up the beer with all the narcotics and each evening they logged out a beer and I enjoyed it with my meal!

kiltlifter prescription 001.JPG

kiltlifter prescription 003.JPG

kiltlifter prescription 004.JPG

kiltlifter prescription 005.JPG

Moving right along...I tied four shrouds on each side of the aft mast. That's it for today

4 aft shrouds 001.JPG

Glad you have healed enough to be able to be back at it Rich. That seems like a really cool Dr. 

Did anyone figure out what made the can explode like that?

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

1 hour ago, JesseLee said:

Glad you have healed enough to be able to be back at it Rich. That seems like a really cool Dr. 

Did anyone figure out what made the can explode like that?

Jesse

Yea...great doctor. We have a lawyer on the case. Nobody knows what happened?

Good morning, Rich. I just logged on to your Brig Syren (Argus) log for the first time. I am also building Syren and just finished the main and fore masts.  [Before I go further, I wish you a complete recovery from the injuries you suffered. Time heals most all.] I’ll be traveling in July, but will use the month to figure out how to bend furled sails to the model.  I’ve never done that and, of course, the Syren instruction manual doesn’t cover the subject. There’s a lot of literature on the preparation of the sails, but not much on bending them to the yards.  I do have Landlubber Mike’s excellent treatise, so my first task will be to learn which blocks on the yards and other spars are used for clews, leaches, bunts, and sheets. When I return, I’ll bring my build log up to snuff. In the meantime, I look forward to following your excellent build. Ed

<p>EdatWycliffe

Current Build:

US Brig Syren

Prior Builds:

MS kit Phantom

MS kit Fair American

I've started rigging the lower shrouds on the Fwd masts. The next pics you'll see is when I'm finished with all lower shrouds. No sense in boring you with repeated stuff

fwd mast lower shrouds 001.JPG

fwd mast lower shrouds 002.JPG

Thanks Nice work, Rich, and Inspirational. I’m taking July off from the build to do research with respect to proper furling and rigging. I enjoy that part of the hobby almost as much as the build. Ed

<p>EdatWycliffe

Current Build:

US Brig Syren

Prior Builds:

MS kit Phantom

MS kit Fair American