US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

17 minutes ago, Karleop said:

Hola Rich:

I had not followed your log for some time but I see that you have advanced very well with your Syren- Argus. It is getting nice!!

Saludos, Karl

Thanks

The plans call for me to mount the rudder at this time, but since the kit does not come with pre-made gudgeons and pintels, I have to make my own. I'm terrible with metal working, so while I figure it out, I will make items that will be mounted later. I built the rudder and added the tiller and connecting devices for the steering apparatus. I glued on the stern post. (Notice the rudder on the Argus is flared at the bottom.)

starboard waterway being glued 001.JPG

starboard waterway being glued 002.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Rich - As you may notice in my log I am back at Chapter 4. Finishing the transom. Lots of sanding here. I had a question - Did you have a solid sheet that included the Transom? I don't see it in my kit. I have fond the 1/32" thick sheet with the raised piece for the decoration but not the transom itself. I can use planking strips. but just wanted to confirm that I am missing a piece.

Can you tell me how thick your transom piece is?

By the way I appreciate you taking several steps in your planking. I am looking to that next.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

fnkershner

My kit came with a thin sheet roughly shaped plywood for the top half of the transom. It had no gun port cutouts and I had to finish shape it and cut the gunports. There was nothing for the bottom half of the transom. It's all covered up with planking but my guess it's 1/32" thick

Edited by HIPEXEC

Thanks Rich, I found the sheet you mention and the part is missing from the sheet. I guess its time to send a note to Model Shipways. By the way what did you cover your screws with on your blanking board? I am about to begin shaping and bending planks.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Rich, just catching up after being away but if you still need hinges go to miniatures.com and search hinges; you may find some there.

Ken

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

6 hours ago, fnkershner said:

Thanks Rich, I found the sheet you mention and the part is missing from the sheet. I guess its time to send a note to Model Shipways. By the way what did you cover your screws with on your blanking board? I am about to begin shaping and bending planks.

What's a blanking board? If you mean my plank bending jig...I used plastic tubing.

While I'm trying to figure out the best way to make or get pintels and gudgeons...I'm continuing to pre-buld item that will be attached later. Now I'm building the companionway. I have to match the aft structures I built, so I can't exactly follow the plans.

companionway construction 001.JPG

companionway construction 002.JPG

LOL Planking board. Note to self: Check spelling before you hit send.

I'm making such a mess of the pintels and gudgeons that I think I will just buy some. In the meantime I'm still working on the companionway and sweep ports. I can only do stuff that won't tear off when I wrestle with mounting the rudder....upside down and all.

detail work companionway 002.JPG

detail work companionway 003.JPG

I'm now building the companionway ladder. I had some leftover pre-cut ladder sides which is making this easy.

companionway ladder 002.JPG

companionway ladder 001.JPG

Rich,

I know when building our ships we need contrasting wood to show details, even though I presume a ladder (on a real ship) most likely would had been built using the same material all through out.

However that ladder looks nice.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

My models are only artistic impressions of the original ship. I want them to look pretty when on display. Contrasting colors do that. You are correct, though.

Finished and installed the companionway ladder. It's a shame, but It will hardly be visible when all is said and done. I'll leave off the companionway for now.

finished ladder 001.JPG

finished ladder 002.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

I finished the companionway with doors hardware and all. I will now finish the sweep ports. I'll store these items until time to install them

companionway and doors finished 001.JPG

companionway and doors finished 004.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

The ladder in the companion way looks real good, and you are right that lighter color for the steps are needed.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hello,  your build is very nice, very well done.  I have only one comment to make,  You might want to have the water closet doors open inward instead of outward.  Cannon and steering gear would be in the way.  I ran a lot of old wood boats in my younger days and that's what the way most were done to keep gear from being in the way.  I did a model of the Argus 30 + years ago,  still think it was a great ship.   Will follow your build with interest.  Hal (Seahawk1313)

1 hour ago, Jim Rogers said:

Rich great job so far. Noticed some dental floss in the background and was wondering what you used that for.

To pick my teeth!

2 hours ago, Seahawk1313 said:

Hello,  your build is very nice, very well done.  I have only one comment to make,  You might want to have the water closet doors open inward instead of outward.  Cannon and steering gear would be in the way.  I ran a lot of old wood boats in my younger days and that's what the way most were done to keep gear from being in the way.  I did a model of the Argus 30 + years ago,  still think it was a great ship.   Will follow your build with interest.  Hal (Seahawk1313)

Seahawk1313,

Thanks, but I was just copying the only picture I have of the Argus. It shows the doors opening out. Anyway, It's too late to change it now.

If you have any details for the Argus, I would appreciate it very much if you would share it. Right now I'm looking at a picture that shows the gunport lids are one piece and open by swinging up and away from the sea. The Syren kit I have shows split gunport lids.

Anything you have would be fabulous!

Hello Rich,  My Argus was one of the first of my fleet, bread and butter built, now only build POF.  Model is at my son's home will get him to take some pictures of it.  I based the model on two articles I had:  "A Naval Architectural Study of the U.S.Brig Argus by W.M.P. Dunne in Nautical Research Journal,Vol.34,No.3,September 1989 and The Mariner article "The Brig of War Argus" by H.I.Chappelle ,Vol. VII no.1, January,1933.  I also used the Corne' painting of the Constitution at Tripoli,  the Argus is the third ship from the left, good picture on this site.  I think at at Tripoli she had removable half lids like Syren, but may have had hinged lids during the War of 1812(?)  The picture you have of the deck is from the Smithsonian model and is maybe more 1812 .-Hal

1 hour ago, Seahawk1313 said:

Hello Rich,  My Argus was one of the first of my fleet, bread and butter built, now only build POF.  Model is at my son's home will get him to take some pictures of it.  I based the model on two articles I had:  "A Naval Architectural Study of the U.S.Brig Argus by W.M.P. Dunne in Nautical Research Journal,Vol.34,No.3,September 1989 and The Mariner article "The Brig of War Argus" by H.I.Chappelle ,Vol. VII no.1, January,1933.  I also used the Corne' painting of the Constitution at Tripoli,  the Argus is the third ship from the left, good picture on this site.  I think at at Tripoli she had removable half lids like Syren, but may have had hinged lids during the War of 1812(?)  The picture you have of the deck is from the Smithsonian model and is maybe more 1812 .-Hal

Thanks Hal,

Pictures are worth a thousand words to me. I'll look forward to your pics.

By the way...I'm an old Long Island boy. The last 30 years in Stony Brook and Smithtown. I flew in the National Guard out of Islip for many years.

Rich

Thanks to Seahawk 1313 I saw a picture of the Constitution followed by a Brig thought to be the Argus at the battle of Tripoli and it clearly shows one piece gunport lids that swing upward.

Corne's painting of Tripoli 003.JPG

Corne's painting of Tripoli 002.JPG

21 minutes ago, Seahawk1313 said:

That one in the painting is the Vixen.   Going left from the Connie the small ships are: Vixen,Syren,Argus,Nautilus, and Enterprize.  All ship details and Ids were by Preble and his officers with Corne'.-Hal

Thanks, Hal. It does show that some Brigs used full size lids attached at the top and that agrees with the picture I have. Oh well....decisions to make? How's Long Island?

Rich, you can do as you like. in reality the ships changed as each Captain liked, and you are the Captain of that beautiful ship.  I asked my son to take some pictures of my old Argus, may take some time- my 2 year ago and 3 month old grandsons keep him busy.  Weather on L.I. has been great, I should be doing yard work, but I am trying to finish the hull work on my Frigate Philadelphia so I can start rigging.  And I started the frames for the 1799 Frigate Congress.  If I can learn how to do it I will start a building log.  Old dogs can learn new tricks, it just takes time.  Stay safe and good luck with the Storm!- Hal

Rich - I know this is taking you way back. But I need help. As you can see from my log I am about to add the upper wale. I do not see any marks on the bulkheads of my kit nor does Per. so I am not sure where it should lay. How did you make sure it was correct? Planking is my nemesis, and I want this one to be as good as yours.