HIPEXEC

USS Syren by Hipexec - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Rich, I think you doing excellent work and prove JesseLee's point on increasing building skills, how much fun would it be if every kit had quality wood precision cut and snapped together , we'll probably never know!

Ed

2 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

This post is for you, Frank. I've just re-sandpapered the sanding stick you gave me all those years ago. I can't live without it. I use it at every stage of the build. Thanks

LOL!   I'm honored, Rich.

If you used wood or white glue you can use alcohol to loosen the glue to re-position it. I have had to do this a few times. In place like this you can use a paint brush to get it in there where you need it. It takes patience, might take several times of coating it in there as letting it soak in and doing it some more until you can move it.

Jesse

Are your masts glued in yet? If not I suggest adding your blocks now. I have learned the frustration of adding blocks and rigging line later in the build and now do both at the earliest stage I can. Trying to thread a line threw a block under a fighting top is a challenge for these old eyes.

2 hours ago, JesseLee said:

If you used wood or white glue you can use alcohol to loosen the glue to re-position it. I have had to do this a few times. In place like this you can use a paint brush to get it in there where you need it. It takes patience, might take several times of coating it in there as letting it soak in and doing it some more until you can move it.

Jesse

OK I'll give that a try. I use PVA Ph neutral glue

2 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

Are your masts glued in yet? If not I suggest adding your blocks now. I have learned the frustration of adding blocks and rigging line later in the build and now do both at the earliest stage I can. Trying to thread a line threw a block under a fighting top is a challenge for these old eyes.

Too late. I'll struggle later

JesseLee

I can't seem to budge the glue on that crooked fighting top. I tried alcohol and then plain water? That was after a three hour soaking with alcohol. Maybe I have to drown the top. 

14 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

JesseLee

I can't seem to budge the glue on that crooked fighting top. I tried alcohol and then plain water? That was after a three hour soaking with alcohol. Maybe I have to drown the top. 

You might have to. After the glue dries the water will do no good, it will have to be the alcohol.

I'm putting trying to level the main top on hold. I can't get the glue to budge.

Now I have no choice but to start my cannon factory....ugh!

I gave the glue one last shot. I wrapped the area with paper towels and soaked the area with just plain water overnite. Guess what? It worked! I leveled the fighting top. here's the glue I used. It's PVA. Alcohol didn't budge it. Oh well..what ever works.

glue 001.JPG

glue 002.JPG

Getting caught up Rich. Nice save on the Top. AS I was reading I was thinking a towel or rag would do the trick, and you thought of it before I could comment.

Well done.

Sam

Amazing build and great attention to detail and not just "settling" with something ok! Its admirable! Looking forward to seeing this done.

Has given me alot of tips for my build and the one that will surely follow after that! 

Cheers from Sweden! 

2 hours ago, Tochvi said:

Amazing build and great attention to detail and not just "settling" with something ok! Its admirable! Looking forward to seeing this done.

Has given me alot of tips for my build and the one that will surely follow after that! 

Cheers from Sweden! 

Thanks. So who made off with the Crown Jewels? 

13 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

Thanks. So who made off with the Crown Jewels? 

Technicly not crown jewels! But still as astoundishing! Its really sad since they will either end up in some private collection or tore apart and melted etc, such a shame

Rich, amazing work , as always, do you use some type of magnification? I can hardly see them on my screen with zooming in.

Ed

On 8/14/2018 at 1:43 PM, Ebomba said:

Rich, amazing work , as always, do you use some type of magnification? I can hardly see them on my screen with zooming in.

Ed

Yes. I had to use a magnifying glass to double check positions. They're still not perfect but I'll sand and file them level before gluing.