HIPEXEC

USS Syren by Hipexec - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

I'm starting to install the carronade eyebolts. The slide eyebolts went right on with just a small pilot hole. The rear or lower eyebolt was a problem. When I started the small pilot hole the whole rear piece broke off (split). So I then gave up trying to drill a pilot hole in that fragile thin wood. I glued the eyebolts behind the rear wheels under the carriage. Looks okay to me.

eyebolts 001.JPG

eyebolts 002.JPG

Continuing the carronade production line, one of the completed gun platforms just split in half picking it up. The wood in this kit is quite inferior. These are my two types of magnifiers. One on a fixed stand with a light built in, the other is a plain Sherlock Holmes type.

magnifiers 002.JPG

magnifiers 003.JPG

I finished the carronade bases. Now I have to figure out how to mount the actual guns. Again the wood is so poor that several split while I was handling them. BTW I use masking tape doubled on itself sticky side up and down to hold all these small pieces to the work bench.

finished bases 001.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Rich, guns and carriages look good.

Have you painted the bottoms of the carriages? Maybe try brushing some epoxy diluted with a bit of alcohol on the bottom? That should help reinforce the wood some.

You can put them in your oven on LOW (120º?) to speed the cure time. I use my oven all the time for that but I have a pilot light. I would think the very lowest setting would work unless its in the 200 degree range, you don't want to bake your wood. Otherwise just let them sit out overnight.

Sam

Edited by src

Since the carronades that came with the kit do not have a breech line ring I decided to add my own. I glued on a small ring left over from another kit. When the glue dries I'll paint it black so it looks like part of the gun.

breech line ring 001.JPG

breech line ring 002.JPG

I'm starting the rigging process for the steering mechanism by installing the eyebolts for the blocks. It's a Rube Goldberg affair that I had to modify slightly from the Syren since I now have two aft superstructures that the doors open and would impede the lines in the Syren's plan location.. 

steering started 001.JPG

The blocks provided with this kit are sub standard. They are not symetrical and the holes are too small to take a sturdy rigging line fitting a ship's steering mechanism. I drilled out these blocks, but if I don't like how they look I'll have to shop for better quality blocks.

poor blocks 001.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Just found the board this morning and registered to do some research, along the way I found your build thread here. Amazing work, and am looking forward to seeing the finished product. I did have an idea for your head door hinges, but you've already moved beyond that point! I was thinking using a pin vice to drill a small hole in the top of the door and the door frame, as well as in the bottom of the door and the deck. A bit of wire glued into the holes you drill on the door would hold it in the door frame/opening and allow it to pivot as if it were actually hinged. Hope I am explaining it clearly enough! 

I also saw your garage door and if you replace that refletivix foil with some foam board it will work better fighting the heat. It's about $15 for a 4'x8' sheet at one of the big box stores. I've been researching the same project for my garage since it does not have an insulated door and it can be unbearably hot in there! I left NY about 6 years ago, you'd think I would be used to the heat down here by now.

I found some high quality blocks in my "stash" to replace the kit's blocks. They are good wood with holes on center and don't shatter when reaming the hole larger.

new blocks 001.JPG

new blocks 002.JPG

I installed the blocks for the steering mechanism. The degree of difficulty I had fabricating and installing these tiny blocks tells me I'm really going to struggle rigging this ship. Rigging this mechanism with one long strand of line will be a challenge. I'll try it, them move to plan "B" using two pieces of line if it defeats me

steering blocks installed 001.JPG