US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Two yards to go!  My next build has to be with minimum rigging...theses bandaged fingers don't want to work easily.

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5251.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

I admire your determination to keep building with your hands still healing from burns. I hope you aren't in too much pain.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

3 hours ago, JesseLee said:

I admire your determination to keep building with your hands still healing from burns. I hope you aren't in too much pain.

Jesse

Thanks, Jesse. After nine months, the pain blends in with normal sensations.

Impressive work!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Putting together the anchors. Had to take a break from rigging! They'll need some touching up before mounting them.

IMG_5258.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Thank goodness I've built and rigged other model ships because The Model Shipways instruction manual, pictures and plans are impossible for a person like me to make anything. I don't have the ability to follow detailed written instructions like in the Model Shipways book. They are full of very elaborate and detailed written instructions. I need pictures and detailed prints to build.  Most good kits provide both. Different people have different aptitudes.  I was a military and airline pilot for 30 years and all approach and departure charts had both type instructions: detailed written and detailed pictorial.

Edited by HIPEXEC

All the foremast yards are now braced. I examined my work using these bandaged and burned hands and I'm aghast at the amateurish work I am now turning out. Compared the my past two ships which can be examined with a magnifying glass for fine details, these look like a cartoon version of ship building.

IMG_5277.JPG

I'm amazed you can do it at all. I do understand though. Sometimes building is part of healing or helping you through a sickness. The first year of my treatment for my chronic Lyme disease I had a PICC line inserted into a (vein/artery?) in my arm going right into a chamber in my heart to pump antibiotics straight in. Had it in for 8 months. Spent much of that time in bed. I built my first large wooden ship model during that time. I wanted something to try to do to give me a purpose to live because I was so sick I wanted to go on and die. Somehow I built this whole ship from scratch- no kit- and a single large plan sheet. A lot of it is not accurate but under the circumstances I did the best I could.  I don't even remember most of the build at all but It was what got me through that very hard time. Here is a pic below of it.  I say be proud of what you are doing knowing your condition right now. It can be wonderful therapy.

Jesse

Sick Ship Build.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

1 minute ago, JesseLee said:

I'm amazed you can do it at all. I do understand though. Sometimes building is part of healing or helping you through a sickness. The first year of my treatment for my chronic Lyme disease I had a PICC line inserted into a (vein/artery?) in my arm going right into a chamber in my heart to pump antibiotics straight in. Had it in for 8 months. Spent much of that time in bed. I built my first large wooden ship model during that time. I wanted something to try to do to give me a purpose to live because I was so sick I wanted to go on and die. Somehow I built this whole ship from scratch- no kit- and a single large plan sheet. A lot of it is not accurate but under the circumstances I did the best I could.  I don't even remember most of the build at all but It was what got me through that very hard time. Here is a pic below of it.  I say be proud of what you are doing knowing your condition right now. It can be wonderful therapy.

Jesse

Sick Ship Build.jpg

You're a good man, Jesse Lee

I finished the lifts and braces ! Now I have to repair all the damage I did when my bandages caught on completed  rigging! I'm also "graying" up the new rigging. It is pure white and very glaring. 

IMG_5284.JPG

IMG_5283.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

The weathering will look much better than the bright white rigging. 

Looking very good, Rich. I’ve temporarily halted my Syren build while I research the best way to furl sails. (The research is as much fun as the actual build.) I think I figured out the staysails and I’m now working on the square sales. Ed

<p>EdatWycliffe

Current Build:

US Brig Syren

Prior Builds:

MS kit Phantom

MS kit Fair American

I'm basically finished with what I can do. Now, I have to go through the instructions, pictures  and drawings to catch small stuff I might have missed. Also, I'm still "graying" the pure white running rigging. I might add a mast top pendant. I'll also have to find my original files on the Argus to make sure I got it right.

I can't believe I started this model on January 19, 2017!  That's three years three months of working on it. Of course Stage four cancer and 20% deep tissue burns got in the way.

IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5293.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

I added a pennant on the main mast and made paper plaques to simulate the brass ones I'll have made. I installed a miniature replica of the USMC Officer's sword. I'm still cleaning up and repairing minor damage. I'm getting there even after over three years!IMG_5295.thumb.JPG.66644b47937b20d9daeef0a06bbc0e4f.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

IMG_5297.JPG

IMG_5296.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Rich, 

You must feel good now with the completion of USS Argus.

Beautiful build a true masterpiece.

Now it's time for a break, unless you have something else waiting to be built.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

The sword is a nice touch. Looks better with the pennant too!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get to the engraving store on account of this virus. So, my ship has to wait until the store re-opens to do the finishing touches. I hope all is well by all of you. Social distancing has its pros and cons, but we have to put a stop to this scourge. 

You stay safe Rich

I'm collecting data, drawings and anything I'm going to need to make a scratch or semi-scratch version of Joshua Slocum's Spray. Semi-scratch means parts I have leftover from past builds or I can buy from vendors. I first have to draw to scale what I want to build and buy some much better tools. Any suggestions or contributions would be very welcome.

Hi Rich

I've been off the forum for a while due to moving to a new home.  Glad to see you're finished your build, and it looks great.

Bluejacket has a kit of the Spray.  If you don't want to build from a kit, I think you could just buy the plans.

http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/spray.htm

• 2 months later...

I finally broke house arrest and got  brass plaques made to finally finish this build. Hallelujah! I plan on offering this ship to the Marine Corps Museum for display. How I'm going to get it there is another question.

IMG_5308.JPG

IMG_5309.JPG

IMG_5310.JPG