Le Superbe by Blue Ensign - FINISHED - Heller - PLASTIC - Built as "Le Praetorian", after Boudriot

• 4 weeks later...

Hi B.E.,

I just like to revisit your Superbe every now and again -- it is so beautifully done!  Those sails ... that water ... really and truly a work of art!  Got me to thinking ...

I'm sure you have nothing but free time on your hands ;) , but if you ever have a chance, some photos of her in the completed model Gallery sure would look nice.  You know, maybe just a couple dozen. :)

Cheers,

Robert

Current Build: HMS Mars

admirable model B.E. !

also nicely presented sea surface structure, model colours, sails, and the Little figures all around that bring life into the ship.

Is the glass/acrylic protection case self made ? it Looks great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

BE,

I am so happy to have seen your work.  I have this kit and now am excited to try your silkspan technique on the sails.   You show that there is no limit on what could be done with these Heller kits.

Thanks,

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Thanks Guys for your generous praise, and for all the 'likes' also.

@ Robert - I'll try and get a round to posting in the Gallery.

@ Nils - I made the base Nils, but I had the cover made for me by a chap in Devon, he attends various

model shows and I collect them  from him usually around this time of year, when he fetches up in

my area.

ps: things seem to have gone a little quiet on your 'Swan' build of late?

@ Scott, -  thanks for looking in, Modelspan is superb for sails at this scale, and larger, good even for 1:100

scale I think. Hopefully we will see the fruits of your labours in a log in due course :)

B.E.

Aah you`re quite right B.E.

the state of my Pegasus always Looks at me when I step into my modeling Office and I turn the spotlights on

The coppering is already getting dark and dull and I asume I need a kick to boost the next sequences in build.

Funny, in the past it could often happen that I become "pregnant in mind" with a new build idea/desire and I caught myself in grooving in on something interesting, but that did not happen here yet.

So I`m quite confident that it shall go on soon

Cheers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I too have just discovered your Superbe/ Praetorian, and I must say it is simply lovely.  She seems to very much have a life of her own, something difficult to create in models. 

I have ordered my own Superbe (always wanted to build a 74, but until recently could not find kit aside from expensive wooden ones), and I am hoping to create a similar display, though perhaps under topgallants- not sure.

I was wondering if you might tell me where you were able to find small crewmen for your Le Praetorian?  I am (fairly but not entirely) new to the hobby (at least when it comes to Age of Sail models), and seem to have some trouble finding such figures, at least in the proper size. 

Also, are there any good resources you might be able to point me toward for the sea base?  Your explanation was very helpful and is very nearly all one would need, but I'm not very sure on how pronounced the bow wave and wake should be...not very, judging from all paintings and your own excellent model...but if there was some document with further tips, I would love to be pointed in their direction.

Congratulations on making such an outstanding model!  I have visited the pictures of your ship many times, and spent quite a time admiring it!

I wonder why more companies don't make models of (any) 74?  Seems strange.

Anyway, thanks for posting all of these images and helpful explanations!

Cheers,

Brenticus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"

Completed Logs: HMS Patrician, frigate, 32 guns (converted Lindberg Jolly Roger 1:150)

Completed Build Gallery: HMS Patrician

You’re welcome Brenticus and thank you for looking in and for your generous comments. :)

The crewmen were ‘N’ scale Railway figures modified to suit. These are widely available from online sources, I recall I got most of mine off e-bay. The sheep were also ‘N’ scale from the Faller range.

Re the sea base, I wanted a fairly placid effect simply as a vehicle in which to place the model, but really there is plenty of scope for artistry in sea making.

Certainly in terms of a sailing ship there would not be the pronounced wake created by fast prop driven ships, and paintings are probably as good a guide as any.

Here’s a link within MSW on the subject that may give you some ideas.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3952-dioramas-water-related-photos-hints-tips-and-videos/

Enjoy your Superbe when she arrives.

Cheers,

B.E.

Thanks for the info/ link!  Much obliged!

Cheers,

Brenticus

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"

Completed Logs: HMS Patrician, frigate, 32 guns (converted Lindberg Jolly Roger 1:150)

Completed Build Gallery: HMS Patrician

• 6 months later...

I have just found your outstanding model here. A beautiful piece of modelling. I have a plastic kit of Constitution, and you have inspired me to create a waterline model. Awesome work.

• 1 month later...

I am amazed at what you did at this scale. My build is at about this scale and so you certainly present a challenge. Seeing that it can be done helps me to at least try to accomplish something similar. I must remind myself that this is my first build an you have done others; but the challenge is there. Your sail making information will certainly help. I have found paintings with only 4 sails set and this, I think, will be sufficient to show sails and rigging.

Thanks!

Omar

Omar

Cutty Sark   Scientific kit 1:140ish

• 5 months later...

Cheers John, praise indeed from an ace modeller such as yourself :)

Hi Steve, I can't recall the make of the sealant, but I got it from a local DiY store, this sort of stuff is feely available in the UK and I would imagine also in Australia. It is described as Non silicon general sealant, the sort you use a gun to apply. It comes out white but dries clear.

A lot more user friendly than the silicon based versions. If you have a DiY store, have a look in the decorating section.

Cheers,

B.E.

• 11 months later...

What a wonderfull work B E, I have read this thread now 3 times trying to absorb all the tips you have given. Soon I will start with my Le Glorieux and hope mine will be a 10th of what you have accomplished here. I would be very happy.

I tried to enter you log on the link you gave previous but even though i registerd it doesnt seem to work unfortunately.

Grtz Ray

When I try to login it tells me I have the wrong password or user name although im very sure I have them correct. Im confused hehehe.

And I really think I need help on this and the other forum because money to buy those books from mr Boudriot I dont have. I was shocked when I saw the prices of these books.

Edited by Ray1981

• 1 month later...

Good day,

B.E.

You did ... just magnificent model, !!!especialy if take in consideration such small scale! + all those changes You did

to be close to Budrio book...

I m still under impression of your craftsmanship!

Great!

unfortunately I didn' t found this link with your model earlier,and missed a lot of valuable information

which could be used during building of my model... and this nice idea ,to use modelspan tisue for sails making...

looks much better than any kind of best thin fabric, which I used for sails...sad too late knew abt this material...

saved your buildings report here for future reference...and tried to register on that forum , those link You gave...

All the Best!

Kirill

Hi Ray,

I have some of Budrio books in digital... but I can't figure out how to send private messg to you with links ...

Rgrds

Kirill

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks so much Blue Ensign for your technique for sailmaking. I have used it on my Revell Constitution and am very happy with the results.

I modified slightly by using a brown pencil that matches the colour of my rigging lines, and have cut the sails with stepped angles to force shape into them once in position.

Also think I added a little too much yellow but hey, what can you do

20170817_232417.jpg

20170818_004349.jpg