Dubz

Unboxing Daniel Duseks new Kit "Statenjacht Utrecht" - 1:48

Just a quick unboxing of Daniel Duseks new kit of the 1:48 Dutch "Statenjacht Utrecht".

As it was a preorder I got just a white box ...

ca748ef6b45373d07dfdf0a711b433eb.jpg

The content.

40838d8f540ca3274801adb9ce52dd2f.jpg

0f32993e03d9e6f41a3895849d96f941.jpg

The (very nice!) resin parts

080b12da2a85c495c8694c83cc8a6e7e.jpg

5eba64743affd4184f550b7d855554af.jpg

Accessories (Blocks are crap, sorry Daniel ;) ... guns seems workable ...) 

483a5d108e55d3fbaa3b448b60b9cead.jpg

Lasered sheets, a lot of pear 

a24efac79a5d3fd494c31539a4a793e9.jpg

but unfortunately the stem is not pear ... (Daniel I might order this sheet as pear!)

4ab35f9a0b3faca7fd60ef9ecb0bb703.jpg

Just some photoetched parts (curious if I find potential for more ... ;))

924b1fc818792007e52382d06a1257e1.jpg

More wood :)

bb7acc7cbef6a5069df94713e8933cfa.jpg

Wonder if these windows will not break ... always a very delicate part for lasering ...

2fd64be99b48bfca79db96df5f9801b9.jpg

Very nice laser work.

b7b286193027638d1c7c6d65ad481a37.jpg

5eb1cd3db5294e9b8dd99626b00a7897.jpg

The paperwork.

6235f01b678e90b5c234b0c7ddc1dfb5.jpg

Instructions 

314bf3c04b276fcc107333faaf64e1c1.jpg

My very first impression: For a very good price (I guess something around 200.- EUR, Daniel?) a very very good Dusek Style Kit. So, highly recommend! :)

Gruss,

Dirk

The decorative fittings are plastic instead of metal castings (I think the other company that provide plastic parts is Billing) unlike most kit manufacturers I come across. I haven't bought a new kit for a number of years now and have lost touch with what is happening. Is this a new trend? To my eyes, the blocks look fine.  :D

Plastic parts can provide more intricate detail than cast metal, but somehow I cannot escape the feeling that it is not quite 'right' (just a personal feeling, please don't take offence). What do other members feel about this?

Personally, I'd rather have crisp plastic castings than the usual poorly-defined metal castings found in most kits. With the proper painting techniques, those resin parts should look amazing, and I bet Dubz is up to the challenge!

Those plastic parts look 3D printed based on the sprue.  Should be very finely detailed...   If they are, we'll never see cast parts from worn out molds like many of the kits contain.  Impressive kit, Dirk and Daniel.

Yes, looks very good.

All the large plastic figures will be painted a cream yellow enamel so the better definition of plastic is good.

And plastic is as light a wood carvings would be, and that makes up for its use in my 'what seems right' sense.

Also, drilling small holes for wire or wood 'nails' to help hold the decorations on, is easier than with cast metal.

Which brings me to my next point.

I like either the Plaid Folk Art Real Brown or Raw Sienna for the hull and leeboards.

But after painting, what glue really can I use to fasten the ironwork (etched brass) to the paint.

It would almost be better if the nail heads were instead holes for brass nails on the leeboards.

Hi all,

Dirk, yes it will be possible to make the other parts from pear wood, I will check it and let you know, also I see that I will have to send you new etched parts as there is some bad etched parts (hinges) on the photos ;-)

Zoltan, at this moment I do not plan to do also CNC carving decoration from wood, I think the price would be astronomic and in the fact I do not think that it would be some bestseler.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel!

Haha didn't saw the etch flaw ... btw, possible to get the etched parts with holes" not fakebolts/nails? I prefer not to glue them (don't trust it) but use mini rivets.

BTW, when will the kit be officially available? Some guys allready asking :)

cheers,

Dirk

What would be the cost to make cnc wood carvings for the decorations and offer them as an upgrade package?

That is something I would pay for if I scratch build the UTRECHT.

btw. Chuck has the molds for this boat as well. (sorry Chuck, had to mention this)( Think of it this way, if more people build the Utrecht, you can supply the moldings for it, which is good for your business).

Marcus

I agree with Don. I think this is the future for mainstream commercial ship kits. It makes construction a lot easier for novices who are often inclined to give up when they encounter a procedure they can't cope with due to lack of experience. Eventually, like many modelers they will advance in the hobby and start modifying and scratch building, but this sort of kit will ensure a lot more completed projects and more recruits to the hobby.

Well done Daniel, keep up the good work.

I prefer plastic. They have much better detail  and are generally easy to modify. When painting I recommend a good primer. Also, as with metal castings clean and dry thoroughly. I use Dawn dishwasher liquid....it's great....Moab

On 8/1/2018 at 4:35 PM, Daniel Dusek said:

Hello Redshirt,

The kits is ready but I release now a lot of Mamoli kits so I plan to relase it later as it need box design and etc. 😉

Best regards

Daniel

Thanks for the answer! Don't get me wrong, the Mamoli kits are nice but a well done Staatenjacht would be a league of it's own :D

Hello Daniel, are the Mamoli kits being released with new plastic mouldings or the old metal? I for one prefer your new. I notice you have not released the jacht Mary. This kit would benefit especially from new mouldings. I have the kit but would be interested in upgrading it.