Biloxi lugger Captain Roy 1948 by russ - 1/48 scale - POB - Finished

She is looking really good Russ; great work!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks. I am going to get a first coat of paint on her on Tuesday evening. That should change her appearance quite a bit. :)

Russ

Nice looking vessel.

Count me in as a bystander :-)

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Thanks. I hope to have some progress in the next couple of days. 

Russ

look'in good Russ  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Here she is with her first coat of white. This will need a some sanding before a second coat. Once the final white coat is on, the deck will be planked and that planking will be left with a natural finish. 

Russ

progress first coat port side 1-27-2018.JPG

progress first coat stern 1-27-2018.JPG

progress first coat starboard bulwarks 1-27-2018.JPG

progress first coat inside bulwarks 1-27-2018.JPG

John:

Thanks. It is good to make some progress. Hopefully, more and soon. 

Russ

Looks great Russ.  White paint can be tricky, if not unforgiving when it comes to showing mistakes.  Your build and paint job look fantastic!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike:

Thanks. You are so right about white paint. It shows everything and there are a few places where I see some areas that could be improved. 

Russ

You were right Russ, the paint really does accentuate her lovely lines.  This will make into a superb example of your Biloxi luggers :).

cheers

Pat

Pat:

Thanks. I am hopeful that she will shape up into a nice model. 

Russ

The deck planking begins. The first planks are along the center line. These planks have to be right or it will spoil the appearance of the deck. I am using jigs to represent the footprints of the pilot house and hatches. This will ensure that the deck planks end snugly against the hatch coamings and the base of the pilot house. Doing it this way will allow me to have the coamings and pilot house base sit down into the deck planking, making a snug and seamless fit more likely. I could simply plank the deck and then have the coamings sit on top of the planking. However, that could lead to ugly gaps along the base of the coamings. I am hoping this will make that possibility less likely. 

Russ

progress deck planking jigs 1-28-2018.JPG

progress deck planking bow 1-28-2018.JPG

Lawrence:

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad to be making some progress again after the holidays and cold weather made it difficult to get anything done. 

I have developed my plans from a study of tonnage admeasurements from local customs house records, contemporary newspaper articles, and contemporary photographs. It is interesting to see what can be recovered from such research. While there are numerous plans of local work boats from the east coast, there is very little to be had from here on the Gulf Coast, especially in my area. That is not to say that plan material from the Gulf does not exist; it most certainly does. However, from little corner of the Gulf Coast, there has not been much of this research done so I have been at it for the past 20 + years to try and fill that void and to add to the literature on the subject in some small way eventually. 

For plans of small work boats, you can look at Chapelle's American Small Sailing Craft for some examples. 

Russ

Edited by russ

Here is some progress on the deck planking. The hatches and pilot house base areas have been closed in and you can see the detail of the planking where it meest the margin plank near the bow. So far so good. 

Russ

progress deck planking view 1-30-2018.JPG

progress deck planking aft 1-30-2018.JPG

progress deck plank fwd 1-30-2018.JPG

progress deck planking bow close up 1-30-2018.JPG

John:

Thanks. It is still a bit rough. I will scrape it smooth once the entire deck is planked. 

Russ

Nice progress Russ, the planking is looking good; I like the colour/tone of the wood you are using.

cheers

Pat

Pat:

Thanks. It is basswood strip from Bluejacket Shipcrafters. Very clear, nicely milled stock. I am trying to alternate here and there, using different strips at random to get some variation in the deck. 

Russ

Carl:

Thanks. I simply rubbed a number 2 pencil along one edge of each plank and one one end as well. One smaller scales I have used this before and gotten good results. Once the deck is scraped down, it should have a good scale appearance. 

Russ

Carl:

I had thought about using a grey pencil, but I do not have one handy, so I went what I had. On a larger scale, I would take a sheet of basswood as thick as the planks are wide and paint one side of it grey. Then I would set up the table saw to rip planks off the edge of the sheet so each plank would have one edge of the plank plain and the other edge grey. That works really well. 

Russ

Nice to know!

I've seen someone stacking the planks, and glue (semi)dark gray paper to the side of the stack and slice them of the stack. I think the sanding might pose a problem with the paper ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl:

I recall that method. I read about it in Underhill I think, although I believe he was mentioning what Longridge had done on his Cutty Sark model. I have not used it though. 

Russ

nice progress Russ......the planking looks very nice.   I like to do the same pertaining to structures.   I'm not a big fan of the separation gaps either  ;)    the hull is looking real sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch