Biloxi lugger Captain Roy 1948 by russ - 1/48 scale - POB - Finished

The deck planking begins. The first planks are along the center line. These planks have to be right or it will spoil the appearance of the deck. I am using jigs to represent the footprints of the pilot house and hatches. This will ensure that the deck planks end snugly against the hatch coamings and the base of the pilot house. Doing it this way will allow me to have the coamings and pilot house base sit down into the deck planking, making a snug and seamless fit more likely. I could simply plank the deck and then have the coamings sit on top of the planking. However, that could lead to ugly gaps along the base of the coamings. I am hoping this will make that possibility less likely. 

Russ

progress deck planking jigs 1-28-2018.JPG

progress deck planking bow 1-28-2018.JPG

Lawrence:

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad to be making some progress again after the holidays and cold weather made it difficult to get anything done. 

I have developed my plans from a study of tonnage admeasurements from local customs house records, contemporary newspaper articles, and contemporary photographs. It is interesting to see what can be recovered from such research. While there are numerous plans of local work boats from the east coast, there is very little to be had from here on the Gulf Coast, especially in my area. That is not to say that plan material from the Gulf does not exist; it most certainly does. However, from little corner of the Gulf Coast, there has not been much of this research done so I have been at it for the past 20 + years to try and fill that void and to add to the literature on the subject in some small way eventually. 

For plans of small work boats, you can look at Chapelle's American Small Sailing Craft for some examples. 

Russ

Carl:

I had thought about using a grey pencil, but I do not have one handy, so I went what I had. On a larger scale, I would take a sheet of basswood as thick as the planks are wide and paint one side of it grey. Then I would set up the table saw to rip planks off the edge of the sheet so each plank would have one edge of the plank plain and the other edge grey. That works really well. 

Russ