Biloxi lugger Captain Roy 1948 by russ - 1/48 scale - POB - Finished

good to see you've started a new build.....I enjoy your work  :)   glad that I'm early on this one.   great start!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye:

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. I am pleased with the build so far. Time and patience will tell the tale. :)

Russ

Russ

Off season they would rig for dredging for oysters, they were real workhorses, there are several still working Mobile, bay-Mississippi Sound.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

John:

That is correct. I have seen several over the years here in Mississippi. There are a lot of photos of luggers in local archives. This model will be set up for shrimping.

Russ

Hadn't thought about the rubber cemen part ... Now that would be a challenge indeed, but you could peel it of partly, and than use the carbonpaper ... Your current method is quicker though

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl:

My method leave the printed line on both sides, allowing me to put a ruler on the printed lines and strike the line onto the wood through the middle of the bulkhead. That is where I need it so it will align with its counterpart on the profile former.

Russ

Your model is coming great.  Great planning and execution.

And I always like to learn new little tricks.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Hello Russ,

I am so glad I found your build.  I am really attracted to fishing and other work boats of this era.  In fact, I'm in the planning stages of a 70' sardine carrier from 1940 - and it's a similar looking vessel to your lugger.  You're moving right along on this model and she's coming to life and looking great.  I wish you much success with this build.  Your other models are excellent BTW.  I'll be quietly in the back row taking notes.

Gary 

Edited by FriedClams

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Gary:

Thanks for the kind words and good luck with your own build. I look forward to seeing it.

Russ

There is a little more progress, but this is mostly because I have a new camera (the old one died) and I wanted to test it out. Not bad so far.

Nothing is glued up yet. This is all dry fitting. I have 7 more bulkhead frames to fit before I can begin gluing the profile former together.

Russ

post-164-0-32724700-1486783804_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-91581200-1486783829_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-64604900-1486783848_thumb.jpg

Very nice fit Russ, won't have any trouble keeping these aligned when gluing up as they all seem to sit very square.  

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks. That is what I am going for. They are all a slight friction fit right now. I want just enough room in there for a thin coat of glue on all the surfaces.

Russ

I still need to cut a slot in the middle of that bulkhead because the mast slot will go right in the middle of #4. The slot is cut into the profile former which is the gap you are seeing. There will be a slot cut into the top of the bulkhead as well. That will create a pocket for the butt end of the mast.

Russ

The bulkhead frames have all been cut, sanded to shape, and fitted to the profile former. Nothing is glued yet. Everything is dry fitted at this point. So far everything looks good. The hull form is starting to come together.

The components were cut on a scroll saw and then the shaping was done with files and sandpaper. So far there is about 20 hours of cutting and shaping for the entire framework of the hull. Still some work to go before I can open the glue bottle.

Russ

post-164-0-81999700-1487018791_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-56149300-1487018810_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-49892300-1487018832_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-55275600-1487018849_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I am very pleased thus far. This makes me glad I went to the trouble to really fair the hull in the drafting process. There is nothing like an accurate plan to save time and trouble when building the model.

Russ

Looking good. Interesting shape, skinny at the bow getting fat and wide towards the stern. I like it.

Marcus.

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Once again, these vessels show off their amazing simple but elegant lines - nice work Russ.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Marcus:

Yes, she has very fine lines approaching the bow and very full from the midsection on back. Very typical of local boats.

Russ

Pat:

Thanks. Wait till she is planked.

Glad to have you along for the ride. :)

Russ

John:

Thanks. I once said I would never build anything that did not have sails. But the lines on some of these luggers are nice.

Russ

Outstanding.  And you're right - nothing like a well designed plan.  Congrats on that as well.

Cheers

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

the hull frame looks really nice........the contour is well defined.   she's gonna plank up nicely!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye:

Thanks. There are 28 bulkhead frames, including the transom. I had to keep telling myself to take it easy sanding the bevels. :)

Russ