russ

Biloxi lugger Captain Roy 1948 by russ - 1/48 scale - POB - Finished

Thanks for the kind words.

I am using basswood instead of plywood. Those stanchions are exposed along the inside of the deck so they have to be solid wood instead of plywood. Plus the basswood sands a lot easier than plywood.

Russ

Well, I wish I had more to report, but there has been a lot going on lately. Yard work takes precedence so not much has gotten done in the shop. I injured my left thumb in a yard work accident and that also took some time away from modeling. Much better now and I am getting a few things done.

The margin plank is moving along. The most difficult area is in the bow so that is where I started. I am ready to glue the forward pieces in place.

Russ

margin plank bow.JPG

margin plank bow aft.JPG

Glad you didn't take off your thumb Russ, although, accidents are never practical ... Any bit of progress is progress, the margin plank seems to fit like a glove

Russ - It was good to see you at the wooden boat show last weekend. I really like your use of building jigs you had on display. Too bad the rain put a damper on the sailing.

Everyone - This is a great little lugger. The lines are clean and hull shape shows the fine lines of an original Biloxi shrimp boat.

Thanks - Kenneth

Finally a little progress. I am working on the margin planking. I have settled on a process to make them that seems to work pretty well. While I have created templates for each of these plank in CAD, once you begin building the model, it pays to fit the components to the model instead of the templates created for them. Just makes life easier. :)

Here is a photo of the portside margin plank with a scarph joint and the blank for the next one aft that I am working with right now.

Russ

margin plank portside.JPG

margin plank manufacture.JPG

John:

Thanks. I appreciate it. I am looking forward to more work over the next few days. More rain coming. :)

Russ

Pat:

Thanks. The fleet will be growing over the next few years. :)

Russ

Moving right along, Russ. Always a pleasure to see your work.

A few of the older boats with similar lines were out at the annual Blessing of the Fleet yesterday in Biloxi. I was on the 1931 Doris Mae.

Keep up the good work - 

Kenneth

I know there are those who will not appreciate every little details or accomplishment, but I hope some of you will. The first plank has been cut and fitted. I always begin with the sheer strake. That establishes the curve off of which everything else will run. This plank has been spiled, tapered, and soaked. No glue yet. I will let it dry in place and when I glue it, it will have its shape and will need only finger pressure for a few minutes for the glue to take hold. Note the hi tech clamps. :)

Russ

first plank cut.JPG

first plank fitted.JPG

John:

Thanks. The more I plank, the more I really like how this hull looks.

Russ

Steven:

Thanks. These Biloxi luggers had nice lines, for sure.

As for planking, I was wish I was as good at it as many others here. :)

Russ