Biloxi lugger Captain Roy 1948 by russ - 1/48 scale - POB - Finished

Pat:

So long as it looks good from a few feet, it ought to be fine once it is painted. :)

Russ

The port side bulwark went on with not much trouble. There is still some sanding and clean up to be done, but it looks decent, especially considering the scale and the size of the components.

I had to have a different jig for the scupper slot spacing since this side does not have the openings for trash. That is only on the starboard side. This side needed a much longer jig to be able to have spacing for a much longer continuous plank length. This jig worked fine and only took a few minutes to make.

Russ

progress port side spacing jig 8-12-2017.JPG

progress port bulwark with jig aft 8-12-2017.JPG

progress port bulwark with jig bow 8-12-2017.JPG

Quite the lady of the sea now Russ with all her skirts on, she only needs the 'ruffles' to look the complete part :)  very nice lines to this model.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks. She has a ways to go yet, but it is moving along. :)

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on the cap rails. The starboard cap rail is on and it just needs a little finish sanding. Not too bad considering the size etc. I thought, for a brief moment, about getting these out in one piece for each side. That idea lasted about 10 minutes. The cap rail is in three pieces with a few scarph joints. I will complete the port side this evening, if all goes well.

Russ

progress starboard cap rail outboard 8-22-2017.JPG

progress starboard cap rail inboard 8-22-2017.JPG

progress starboard cap rail scarph joint 1 8-22-2017.JPG

Very nice Russ!  So cool that you are making models of ships local to your area.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

John:

Thanks. The port side went on this evening with no problems. It looks a bit more shipshape now. :)

Russ

Mike:

Thanks. I am very fortunate to have access not only to documentation for these vessels, but a lot of local knowledge from men who actually work on these vessels.

Russ

This evening was good for working in the shop. Got the rubrails on without too much trouble. They are made from a single piece of 1/16" square stock on each side.

Russ

progress rubrail port 8-22-2017.JPG

progress rubrail starboard 8-22-2017.JPG

Really looking good now Russ, those cap rails added that 'finished' look to the bulwarks.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN
typo

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Can't recall her (the model's) length, is it ~ 1' 12"? The hull is looking fabulous. Russ, cap and all. You really get very crisp details with the wood you are using, nice sharp lines ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Pat:

Thanks. I agree. There is a much better sense now about how the bulwarks look with the rail on.

Russ

Carl:

The model's length on deck is just shy of 14 inches. The scale is 1/48 or 1/4"=1'.

Thanks for the kind words about the model. It is just store bought basswood. It needs careful handling.

Russ

Elia:

Thanks. I am pleased for the most part. :)

Russ

I'm catching up on your lugger Russ.....the bulwarks came out really swell!   that's a neat idea about the jig......this would come in handy for anyone who has to do the small scuppers like these.   Bluenose models especially ;)  the hull looks great.......nice job on the planking...wow!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate it. I always hope that something I can offer will help another modeler some day. :) 

Russ

I have the perfect project to try it on ;) .......I just need to get to the point where I can start on it.  I'd be pleased to try it out :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a little more progress. This boat has two rub rails. I am told that the earlier boats had a single rub rail that was much wider than the hull planking. Later boats have done away with the wide rub rail and often have the thinner rub rail that is a bit thicker than the hull plank. This boat happens to have both of them. The thinner rub rail runs from bow to stern and was gotten out of a piece of square stock. The wider piece had to be cut to the curve of the hull and was a bit trickier, both to cut and to fit. I needed to install hidden pins along its inner edge to be able to attach it to the hull. Here are some pics. In the old photo you can see both rub rails. The rub rail is dry fitted on the model photos. I might yet thin its width slightly, just for scale appearance.

Russ

Captain Roy bow.jpg

rubrail pin 1.JPG

rubrail pin.JPG

progress starboard side trim fwd 8-26-2017.JPG

progress starboard side trim aft 8-26-2017.JPG