Biloxi lugger Captain Roy 1948 by russ - 1/48 scale - POB - Finished

This may represent a transition period between the use of the two rub rails. I have seen these wider rub rails on other vessels from other parts of the US and you can sometimes see them used as a foot hold as they move along the side of the boat at sea. Maybe they kept it on for that purpose. I will continue to ask around to see if there is an answer.

Russ

I would expect the wide one to be thicker too as a rub rails. When I look at it, I 'd expect it would tear off easily when moving against the dock (up- and downward with the waves ...) Thanks

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

11 hours ago, russ said:

This may represent a transition period between the use of the two rub rails.

Of all the luggers we boarded in the late 60s and early 70s (there weren't to many left by the end of the early 80s) They always had 2 or 3 tires where they would ride over the rail at the widest part of the boat. They trawled from the stern once the trawl boards broke the water they would make wide circles washing the catch into the end of the bag then  winching in the tail bag of catch. They had what was called a lazy line just above the throat of the bag and haul it into the boat a little forward of midship. I believe the rail it was refereed to as a chafing rail assisted in the lifting of the bag keeping it away from the hull so the webbing would not catch on any protrusions , nail heads, splinters etc. Its been a long time memory fades I think I am right though I could be wrong;)

Did it happen to be docked at the large processor by the old Biloxi Bridge ?  By the way absolutely accurate and beautiful build brings back a lot of memories

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

John:

The shrimpers with whom In have spoken just called it a rub rail. It may be that some of them are not old enough to recall its exact purpose. I have seen many photos with the tire slung over the side. That may be the answer to Carl's question.

This boat worked for Biloxi Canning so it would have been docked out front. You might be thinking of Cruso's which was around back near the old bridge.

Thanks for the kind words.

Russ

she's look'in good Russ......nice smooth hull.   noting the outlines of the structures on deck,  perhaps one use would be as a footing,  as one goes fore to aft...or aft to fore.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Lest ye believe I have given up, here is some small progress. :) Life got in the way for a while, but hopefully, I can manage some more progress now.

Here are some temporary cradles I made for the model now that it is planked. I am also working on the pilot house. More later.

Russ

progress aft cradle 10-14-2017.JPG

progress fwd cradle 10-14-2017.JPG

beautiful lugger Russ,

you did a fine work on the hull, love it....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Carl:

Thanks. That will be the final design, but I will probably make a new set when the time comes. :) 

Russ

That is a very fine looking hull Russ; this will one little beauty when complete.  Slow progress is still good progress :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

the stand looks sweet!   I still have the first stand I ever made.   if you look in the Nordkap instructions,  you'll see it........and I assembled it that way.   I made another one for the Nordkap later,  and the original stand has hosted most of my past builds.  I fear though,  that it may finally find a home under the trawler Syborn.........what'll I do then!?!?!?!  :)  :D 

good to see your still working on her.  she's a fine model......just wouldn't do,  to see her on a shelf or something.   look forward in seeing more of her progress ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks. I came up with this general style for my recent models and I will probably use this style on other local boats as long as it is appropriate etc.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little more progress. This was the perfect day to work on the model. Nice cool, dry weather.

I am making some progress on the pilothouse. This pilot house differs from the trunk cabins I have built for schooners in that a lot of the interior is visible so I need to take some care to make sure that the interior details are presentable. This is all very rough right now, but it is coming along. The dashboard will have dials on it and the small bulkhead below it will have paneling and the wheel will be mounted just below the dashboard. There will be three windows in the openings across the front of the pilot house and the exterior will have vertical planking.

Russ

progress pilothouse framing fwd 10-28-2017.JPG

progress dashboard assembly 10-28-2017.JPG

progress dashboard fit 10-28-2017.JPG

John:

Thanks. This my third pass at this structure. I am hoping it will be the final one. :)

Russ

Third time lucky; it does look good Russ, even in 'rough' state.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks. I am hoping everything will fit the way it should. So far it is looking promising.

Russ

When I look at what you have achieved for details on your past builds, you'll manage fine, maybe not a walk in the park, but what do you expect when you're building a model ... Looking forward to the end result of this subbuild

Carl

Just a bit of catching up Russ, that hull really does have sweet lines, Love the low shot from the stern.

I hope the weather down your way hasn't been too much of a problem.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

Thanks. We had a few bumpy weather days, but it is all good. The cool weather is very fall like.

Russ

Here is a look at the bead board treatment for the bulkhead below the dashboard. The wheel is temporarily set to check for height which is good. The bead board will get painted white. The bead board is made up from 1/8" wide strips with both edges chamfered off.

Russ

progress beadboard with wheel 10-29-2017.JPG

John:

Thanks. There may be another version of this, but we will see. The wheel could be a tad smaller and the bead board might want to be a shade more narrow. It will not take a lot of time to redo it if I decide to do it.

Russ

If I may suggest a little dusting of your lens ... (just pullin' your leg) I would have said the wheel looked somewhat big, but you beat me to it. Course panneling should be good, after all, it is a working vessel, and the planks aren't much wider than the wheel's outer ring (don't know the name of that part) ...

Carl

Carl:

I will probably make another dashboard assembly with some smaller paneling and see what it looks like. Thanks.

Russ