Biloxi lugger Captain Roy 1948 by russ - 1/48 scale - POB - Finished

Here is the dashboard assembly with narrower bead board. I think this looks better than the wider material. Still needs some trimming and fitting. I also think I will go with a smaller wheel.

Russ

progress beadboard close up 10-30-2017.JPG

A little sanding improved the appearance of the bead board. I think this looks a little more believable.

Russ

progress beadboard sanded 10-31-2017.JPG

looks super  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looks great, did any of your travels and research find the boat you were looking for South Alabama archives BLB Mobile area.?

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Sam:

Thanks for the kind words. I had to experiment with the bead board to figure out what worked best. Not much time really and a lot of fun.

Russ

• 1 month later...

Finally a little time for some progress. The front of the pilot house is starting to come together.

Russ

progress pilot house starboard front 12-8-2017.JPG

progress pilot house port front 12-8-2017.JPG

Nicely done Russ.  With time at a premium, you do what you can when you can -  you have not compromised your quality.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

And a little more progress. This pilot house has three large windows across the front. The window openings have been created, but there is some frame work inside the opening and the windows were inserted components that could taken out when necessary. So, the window frames are made separate and then inserted into the window openings.

I am using 1/32" thick basswood for the window frames with half lapped joints at each corner. This makes the window frame assembly fairly strong so that I can clean up the corners and sand the assembly. I use a home made jig to keep the corners squared and the completed assembly is rubbed across a sanding stick to clean it up and reduce the thickness a bit on both sides.

There are 1/32" pieces top and bottom that are glued into the window opening, along with vertical stop strips placed behind each window frame  on both sides on the inside, as well as vertical pieces on the outside on both sides to hold the window frame in place. These vertical pieces will be added when all three window frames are completed and fitted.

Russ

progress window frame jig 12-10-2017.JPG

progress window frame sanding 12-10-2017.JPG

progress window frame fitted 12-10-2017.JPG

Kenneth:

Thanks. I am hoping this will withstand scrutiny. :)

Russ

Very nice fit Russ

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

coming along really nice Russ......I like the way the roof beams jut out over the windows.   the frame looks good too.   are you going to use clear cello?  I found some window tint film for cars that works really well for the window panes {found it in the field next to our house....of all places}.  if your interested I can send you some.        a piece the size of an envelope should do the trick  ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye:

Thanks for the kind words and the offer. I have some clear film already that will do nicely. :)

Russ

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally have some slight progress to report the last couple of days. What with the holidays and then the bitterly cold weather we have had the last couple of weeks, it has been difficult to get any shop time. Here, I have the large rub rail on the port side and the chain plates installed. In the next couple of days I will get the starboard chain plates installed and then I can do some painting.  

Russ

progress chainplates port 1-21-2018.JPG

progress rubrail port 1-21-2018.JPG