Biloxi lugger Captain Roy 1948 by russ - 1/48 scale - POB - Finished

Very nice paint finish so far Russ, you must have prepared that hull very nicely to achieve it.  I can also recommend the frogtape, but I have also had good results with Tamiya tape.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestion. I will take a good look at that tape for future projects. 

Russ

I further recommend the Tamiya tape. Used that a lot building plastic models with my son years ago, and it has transferred nicely to wood projects.

Mark

Got some painting done today. The main hatch is almost ready. The coaming is in white while the covers are in gray. 

Russ

progress hatch covers painting 3-25-2018.JPG

progress hatch coaming painting 3-25-2018.JPG

progress hatch painting 3-25-2018.JPG

Looks sharp Russ; nice work!

cheers

Pat

Lovely lines on the hull Russ.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

Thanks. These luggers were often very attractive hulls.

The entrance at the fore foot is often straight and is created by the use of the nearly upright stem. That results in the body sections that are slightly concave below the water line near the bow. Most of the boats had a pleasing sheer line as well. This is one of the post WWII boats that tended to be longer for their breadth and somewhat deeper in the hold for use a little further offshore. The 1930s boats were also pretty, but they tended to be smaller, with more belly, and a bit more shallow. All things said, I prefer the longer deeper hulls. 

Russ

catching up Russ......a good bit of progress ;)    I've had the same problem with tape.......I use two different types myself.   she looks very nice though.....the colors work very well together.  if your ship has it,  you could do a waterline stripe,  and make short work of it.   even though all it boils down to really,  is just some minor touch ups.   the hatch looks great!  :) 

another problem I run into,  is when I leave the tape on too long,  the paint will create a raised line that I have to lightly sand off,  or hand rub,  using a soft cotton cloth.   wonderful progress.......well done

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks. I think the tape was fine. I just did not get it down well. That is on me. The raised line usually comes from having a lot of layers build up against the tape line. That is my experience with it. I usually hand rub until it is gone. 

Russ

• 2 months later...

Hello again. It has been quite a while since I posted any progress. I just wanted folks to know the project is still in progress. There has been a lot of daily life stuff getting in the way. Spring cleaning, Spring planting, some interior renovations, etc. It all takes time, energy, and focus and all of that gets diverted from the shop into these other projects. 

Now that things are starting to get back to normal, I am also working on another scratch built project. I am, from this point on, most likely going to be building in POF. The new model is a Biloxi schooner, but it is being built plank on frame. I might post something on that as time goes on. Thanks for bearing with me despite the delays. 

Russ

The model will still be there when you are ready to restart Russ - it only took me 14 years for my Endeavour build :)

cheers

Pat

Pat:

Thanks, but I have not stopped completely. It needs to be on its way out the door sooner rather than later. :)

Russ

3 hours ago, russ said:

Pat:

Thanks, but I have not stopped completely. It needs to be on its way out the door sooner rather than later. :)

Russ

Than get to it, Rush!

Sorry, forgot you can't russ these projects ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

yea....you can't rush things........not if your looking for a quality job ;)     hate to tell ya what the age of some of my projects are :blush:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...