russ

Biloxi lugger Captain Roy 1948 by russ - 1/48 scale - POB

Carl:

That is very kind of you to say. I hope to be able to live up to that one day. :)

More progress photos to come soon.

Russ

Russ,

I'm joining the audience a little late!  You've got an attractive and unique topic here, and you've got a very well planned and executed build under way.  The hull (bulkhead) framing looked true and aligned; the stanchions (both plan and execution) look smart, and the hull planking is coming along very well. I'll be sure to keep up.

Elia

PS I'm also glad to see your injury has apparently passed and you're back in the model shop!

Elia:

Thanks for dropping in. I appreciate your kind words very much. As always, I am learning new things each time I build. Several lessons picked up so far on this build will be forwarded to the next build.

The thumb injury has healed and the thumb is functional. There will always be some pain I reckon, but it seems to be less as time goes along.

Russ

This is tonight's work. I began the lower belt on the starboard side. The garboard strake is complete and I have worked in the forward planks of the next strakes above. There is a good deal of twist in these forward planks in the lower belt. Like the rest of the planking, they are spiled and tapered and then soaked in hot water. I clamp them in place wet and when they dry, I can glue them in place with very little clamping needed.

Russ

lower belt bow side.JPG

lower belt bow.JPG

John:

Thanks. I appreciate it. I am hoping to get near your expertise one day. :)

Russ

Kenneth:

You are too kind. Thanks. :)

With the rain coming, I should have an opportunity to make some progress on the planking.

Russ

A rainy day and some progress. The lower belt is complete on both sides. No sanding yet on the port side. This is still a little rough looking, but you can see how the planking lines look.

Russ

lower belt bow planking side view port.JPG

lower belt stern planking.JPG

lower belt bow planking side view close up port.JPG

Planking looks amazingly good, Russ. As far as I can see you have two equal parts on either side of the "lead line" ... considering your present planking state: Ready in a jiffy it seems to me