Oseberg by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Amati- modified

Thanks.

I'm going to stain the hull, stain some pieces on the deck and leave the deck and the inside of the hull as it is now. Vikings painted their ships, blue yellow and red were the most used colours besides black.

As for the two dragon tails, well, Oseberg ship has two tails, the Glokstad has none it is a matter of choice. 

The bulkheads are very few, very thick and very ugly even painted. I removed them, replaced by more scale bulkheads and added a number more. Besides the visual and scale improvement, I had to do that because of the extra strake.  Amanzingly the hull, in spite of having its support removed is very strong now, stronger than with the original bukheads.

You can see that in my first picture in your post. I think it is much better now.

JL 

Does anybody know how the oars were attached for rowing and what did the rowers sit on in a Viking ship ?

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

They sat on the chests where they carried their belongs.

There are samples of those chests on the net:

http://www.hexapolis.com/2014/07/30/onboard-one-to-one-storage-system-where-vikings-succeeded-but-we-failed/

The oars passed through the holes on the hull (of course! :) ) and these holes served as levers.

JL

Thank you guys.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Some progress. The deck in on with some 'modified' planking. The concern about the exposed parts of the bulkheads except for one was solved with an extra layer or two of stain/varnish.

A whole lot of oars constructed, bit more varnish to go on those and the spacers for the shield racks are done on both sides.

post-10647-0-96171000-1487172596_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-50252700-1487172629_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-72961700-1487172659_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

No JL the kit is dreadful, it is simply our brilliance that makes it better !!!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I know my resume about the Chaperon had some criticism but compared to this one Model shipways are brilliant !!!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

You wanted to build something, right. Now you've got a challenge to do some more building, and at no additional expense! :) Else you might as well have bought a Jigsaw Puzzle ... hmmm not a bad thought, for my next "build" ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

OK,OK I'll keep going. (I don't like to be beaten by a pile of wood)

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Well folks, I have added some 'deck furniture' as it were. The strange oar holders, benches that I made for the rowers to sit on, cleats, the mast and the external oar rack holders are on.

Not too much to go now, the anchor is drying as is the rudder. By the way, and ideas as to how the middle hole in the rudder attaches to the hull ?

And, do you think it will matter if I put the sail on in the sailing position and have the oars in the sides as well ? I know when it was afloat it would be one or the other.

Every model Viking boat I have looked at is rigged differently, does it matter ?

post-10647-0-33396900-1487440226_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-09626200-1487440260_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

And, do you think it will matter if I put the sail on in the sailing position and have the oars in the sides as well ? I know when it was afloat it would be one or the other.

Every model Viking boat I have looked at is rigged differently, does it matter ?

This may depend on whether you intend putting the model in a case and/or how big your display area is.  I have seen some models (one of the GOKSTAD buildlogs) where the model was displayed with the oars out and the blades resting on the base.  It looked great, but it made the model assembly almost twice as wide.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I think Brian's suggestion is good (sails on and oars drawn in). Besides, unless you're carving a full crew as well, it's clearly a display model rather than a "life-like pose", so you're allowed some leeway to display features as you see fit.

Thanks for the comments all and thank you JL for the photo. It does indeed help, I had thought of putting a pin there and indeed I will.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Chuck I saw that model too, it looked very smart. Width is not really a problem for me, I don't make display cases for my models as I don't have room for them and as the boss keeps telling me I have got too many of them!

Anyway, I am nearly there. The standing rigging is done - if that's what you call it on a Viking boat. The shields are on. I had to make a couple of boom like thingies but I have no idea what they were for.

I have to make the sail, rig it and then put it on. I am still not sure whether to do oars or sails or both. The oars will not look right if they are half in and half out although it seemed like a good idea. The rigging for the sail on this doesn't really allow it to be furled. Any bright ideas ?

post-10647-0-78923700-1487522123_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-30768900-1487522159_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-35864000-1487522189_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Sorry about the dreadful lighting!!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Earlier you mused about having oars and sails at the same time and thought that it should be one or the other.  You may be right but I can't help but think that the Vikings might have used both at the same time -- the sails being used as "auxiliary power" so to speak.  I know today sailors often use the diesel along with sails.  The sails not only provide a bit more propulsion but work to stabilize the ship.  My 2 1/2 cents.

Thanks for that, I find it rather tempting to do both after spending so long making 28 oars !!

As a model ship builder who knows absolutely nothing about boats or sailing, if a sail is furled, should all the rigging for that sail still be evident on the boat? It occurs to me that it would look a bit odd without just dangling from the cross beam or whatever it's called.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike,

Keep in mind that a 'furled sail' is different than a 'stowed sail'.  If a sail were completely removed from the yard, you may end up removing some or all of the running rigging as well.  This would be dependent on the ship type.  If the sails are just furled, you would need to be able to deploy the sail at short notice without having to re-rig the yard/mast/sail while underway.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks Chuck, that makes sense and their isn't much running rigging for the one sail. What do you think about Captain Al's suggestion ?

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hello all,

She is finished!!

I decided in the end to have the sail up and put oars on one side only so that I could have the best of both worlds and also narrow the width for a shelf. I added some rope coils and a water barrel just to complete the picture.

I hope you like it, it is definitely not the Oseberg but could maybe pass as a Viking boat.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Sorry folks, with this new system I have no idea how to add pictures. Help !!!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

58af22b934367_Copyofpirate.jpg.gif.7eaa070ccaf34ea5449663712040ed7d.gif

I think you "Drag file here" or "Choose file" using the link at the bottom of the post.  I had to place the pic where I wanted it rather than the old way.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Still doesn't work. Let's try this !!!!

No, that didn't work either ! More help please!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: