Hello from UK

glennreader

Hello,

My name is Glenn Reader, I have been lurking on MSW for just over 2 years now, I just looked it up. My initial intention was to wait until I had more spare time then introduce myself. I have now concluded, like most things, its better to just get on with it.

I am not a newcomer to the hobby, for about the past 35 years I have been making ship models, however there have been about 10 year gaps between each of them. Not good for honing ones skills. I have made (in order):

HMS Shark, Sloop, Sergal, 1:50

La Sirene, Frigate, Coral, 1:75

Armed Pinnace, Panart, 1:16

I finished the last of these about 12 years ago having already bought the Caldercraft HMS Snake as my next model. About a year ago I started this, but did not get very far as I then got given the Billings kit of the Etoile. I thought, this is not normally my thing, but I am a bit rusty, I could just dash this off to get back into things. So I have put away the Snake and am now building the Etoile. My intention is to now start a build log for this in the next few days, I have some photos I have taken up to now and hope that starting a build log will encourage me to better document this build. Also to maybe get some advice on anything I am having a problem with; there are already a few of these.

On the personal side, I left full time employment 9 months ago, it did not give me any more free time - if anything the reverse, and am now employed part time marking exam papers (maths). I used to be an electronic engineer working in the defence industry. For the last 13 years on aircraft, I do not have any real interest in aircraft as such, but some of the sub systems are interesting.

I have a fairly long list of ships that I want to model. It should take me to at least the end of the century. These include, in no particular order: Thames Barge, Chapmans Water Hoy, Sloop 1776 (these last two are from plans published in Model boats March 1993 and July 1996 respectively), Trincomalee, though not as a frigate, but as she was with flush upper works during her second commission of 1852-1857. These will all be scratch builds, but there are a few kits in the list as well.

That's it for the introduction, please look out for me starting my log in the next few days.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

Welcome to MSW Glenn! Good to to have you with us and out of the shadows. :)  As you already know about the great people and information this site has to offer I will skip right over to wishing you the best of luck on your new build and I am looking forward to seeing your build log! Would love to see some pictures of your past builds as well.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hello Glenn and welcome aboard,

As you already found out, this is a great site for learning/sharing tips and techniques.

If needed, you'll find plenty of help, advise and encouragement from everyone.

I wish you smooh sailing and happy modelling with our gallant crew.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Glenn,

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Glenn.

Welcome to MSW.

It's a good time to get stuck into another ship model with this weather we are getting.

Lots of nice folks here with some fantastic builds and sound advice.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section