Bluenose by Worldway - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

Well, a little bit of frustration is setting in.  I cut off the bulkheads.

20170920_174620_resized.thumb.jpg.aec87982353fcedb60d287059be6216d.jpg

I then added the false frame timbers but I'm not happy with the alignment.

20170920_182452_resized.thumb.jpg.e9c9f8f0c313818a77449a777cac285f.jpg

So I have since removed them as well. I tend to spend about the same amount of time in removing work that I do in adding work. :default_wallbash:  I'm not sure what approach to take next. I think this is going to be a case of working diligently, carefully, slowly and with attention to minute detail. Hopefully I can make it work and look good at the same time.

I went down to my shop tonight to grab my tab and found myself working on the Bluenose.  It's amazing how addictive this hobby can be.  Basically I went to my shop for 2 seconds and left an hour later.

On another note, I'm not happy with my shop.  My bench is at standing height and I find I get tired after only an hour or so.  Talking with the Admiral tonight I think at some point soon I'm going to tear out the bench and put in a desk.  If and when that happens it will delay the build for a bit.  Hopefully though, until then, I will make some progress.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Derek,

I believe that after a full day at the office errors in the shop are unavoidable.

Going slow and being extra diligent hasn't worked for me.

You need a table with adjustable height.  It has been a god send for me.

I also find my tilting model section very useful in reaching inside of and under the outside of the aft bent frames.

You'll have to drop by one weekend to see what I'm talking about.

That is an invitation to see, chat, have a coffee, tea or something with a bit more spirit!

Bring the admiral along... mine will be here.

You missed an opportunity yesterday afternoon at the Marine Modellers of Niagara meeting... it was at my home.

You should have developed a cough and left work early.

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Hi Derek,

I spend a lot of time re-doing things too. My rule of thumb is if I know I can do a better job, then I re-do it, and when I know it's the best I can do, even though it might not be perfect, then I live with it . When I do less than my best, it's almost always because of impatience.

Your Bluenose is looking very nice, and I'm sure you'll be able to get a satisfactory job on the frames even if it means doing only one or two at a time.

A standing-height bench is the best in my opinion. I have a high bench as well as a high stool and I alternate between standing and sitting. Hours seem to pass like minutes!

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Hi David,

The problem I have is that I can't put my legs under the bench because of storage shelves.  I too have a stool but I can't sit tight to the bench and frankly my arms aren't that long :).

Thanks for the input though.  Been quietly watching your Rattlesnake build.  Very nice.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I have been following along on your build. I am most impressed ! 

I had to chime in on the bench height issue , I just read a recent study on standing work stations and it turns out (after all the new age offices changed to standing desks) that standing at a desk is considerably worse for your legs and heart than was thought. It is several times worse than sitting.  

Again I am enjoying your build !

Steve 

current build : Apostol Felipe

past : Mississippi riverboat, Albatross and a few midwest kits

future : Santisima Trinidad

Thanks for the input and kind words Steve.  Another thought I had was to remove the storage shelves under my bench so I will at least be able to pull up a chair closely.  That might be the best of both worlds.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Actually I find the need for both. A work bench that is sitting height and standing height. And when you come to rigging. you will be standing in front of that sitting desk. 

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

OK problem solved with the bench.  I took the doors off the shelves so my knees can go beyond the bench.  But let me tell you one thing, if you are a serious modeler with a few extra dollars you should duplicate what Alan O'Neill (AON) did.  He was kind enough to invite me over and his work bench is absolutely amazing. He is an engineer by trade (I believe) and it shows in his design.  I was completely blown away by the versatility of the bench.

I started rebuilding the Bluenose and redoing the false frame timbers.  This time, I am trying to get the base squared by sanding.

20170927_183805_resized.thumb.jpg.050af7f0571043760c4c57af536c5f03.jpg

I am measuring a lot more carefully 

I am trying to be careful with the placement of the timbers

20170927_184814_resized.thumb.jpg.220d7144cc997c0fabb709f08debbdca.jpg

Like I said earlier, attention to detail.  The process shown was about two hours worth of work but I think it's a huge improvement over my first attempt.

20170927_191915_resized.thumb.jpg.b55a3edc4f74095e4fbfecf4e5774e0d.jpg20170927_191933_resized.thumb.jpg.a2b2f00a4647be07cb02d6b2113d0ea2.jpg20170927_191937_resized.thumb.jpg.13035d2ace5607023bda25c9ac922382.jpg

20170927_184452_resized.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Well done Derek. This rework stuff is frustrating/satisfying isn't it?  

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Actually Doug, this is the most unrelaxing hobby I have. LOL just kidding, it is satisfying although it is frustrating.  But how else does one learn the skills needed.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Looks good Derek, and don't forget even the experts have "reworks". I have lots ( I'm no expert), my problem is it takes so many before I actually learn from them ;).

I once asked a professional Photographer what the difference is between an amateur and a professional. He said "The pro never shows his mistakes and gets people to pay for his work." Everyone has lots of "Do overs".

Edited by fnkershner

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

It's funny you say that.  Photographers have Photoshop which is pretty much mandatory in the business.  I went to photography school and told myself I would never rework my photos but it becomes a necessity.  Unfortunately model ship building has no Photoshop.  That's why it takes a lot more hands on rework.

It's all a process that involves getting it right the first time.  In photography, if you spend 8 hours Photoshopping  a wedding shoot, the bride and groom have to pay for that time.  If you can get it right the first time, it saves them a lot in labor costs.

It's just a necessary part of the hobby which I don't mind.  As I get more experienced, the rework will become a lot less.  All part of the learning curve.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Derek

I just enjoyed going through your build. I too have run into many similar issues with kits. I broke many stanchions and also chose to cut them off and start over. I put in enough to run one or two planks. Then I used the planks to help align the stanchions. Then it went quite quickly. Also a drilled hole with pin vise locates the scuppers from the inside then a square small file makes the holes line up from the outside. 

It is fun to follow along. The seizing looked great! I have not mastered Chuck's machine yet..you have inspired me to try again

Cheers

Jon

Thanks Jon, I like your suggestions.  I think I'll use them.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

• 4 weeks later...

After adding the false frame timers I was trying to attach the planks to them and the false frame timbers were snapping off quite easily.  I've done this twice now, once with Weldbond and once with CA glue and nothing seems to be holding.  I'm thinking I may need to pin a few of them for support.  And once I get that figured out I need to deal with the scuppers. Not quite sure how to handle them at this stage.  I'll likely use Jon's idea above, makes the most sense.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I have used Titebond II, and it worked for me.

Even had a hard time to remove some for adjustment.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Derek, here's a link to my method for doing the scuppers.  There are many ways to go with this, do what you are most comfortable with.  In my case, I did the scuppers before installing the false stanchions.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

10 hours ago, Worldway said:

After adding the false frame timers I was trying to attach the planks to them and the false frame timbers were snapping off quite easily.  I've done this twice now, once with Weldbond and once with CA glue and nothing seems to be holding.  I'm thinking I may need to pin a few of them for support.  And once I get that figured out I need to deal with the scuppers. Not quite sure how to handle them at this stage.  I'll likely use Jon's idea above, makes the most sense.

I've become a fan of pinning when there is a very small surface for adhesive yet the possibility of stresses on  the part.  Good luck with your efforts.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Well, I believe, this is attempt No 4.  This time I'm not fooling around.  I'm pulling a Rambo.  This had better work because I don't believe there is any turning back.  I am pinning the false timbers and using Titebond III to glue it.  I thought it would take forever but it's going faster than I thought.  I need to get this right because I need to move forward in the build. I don't want to give up on the Bluenose20171109_184934_resized.thumb.jpg.092c480f8a824fcd7bddeeaaa42d6707.jpg20171109_184629_resized.thumb.jpg.027815cfff611bd2caf2136118eb25d2.jpg20171109_184623_resized.thumb.jpg.81961ad96d3366c9d147e1f09a97bd5c.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

That's a real finicky job you are doing there.....

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Derek.  many times I cheat when bending planks with little to hold them. 

• I soak the plank in ammonia water for a while ...not too long say an hour...then put a few in place with clips [ much less stress] and let them dry.  they don't have to be perfectly fit as you are trying to get most of the bend into it.  I come back the next day when they are dry and they glue up with much less fuss. 
  •  I also bought long pins with little plastic ball tops at Joann's. I drill down through a part [ it  could be rail I am bending or post and on occurrence a temporary laminated plank that gets removed afterward] then temporarily pin it in place. If it's stubborn, I CA the pin too.....then if too hard to remove pin, I cut it off and leave it in.  I used this to build most of my waste planks, monkey rails etc.  I know my model size is bigger and if i sail her strength is more important so some of my pins stay in for that purpose..... but it worked

what your doing looks great....good luck getting through this step. I believe it is one of the tougher stages of this build and yes that often means twice. It sure did for me. I am redoing many things as i learn.

cheers 

jon 

Thanks Jon, I think I'll follow your lead. It's definitely been a challenge but I'm hoping the worst is behind me.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Derek. I like the way you made pins for the little buggers. That's an idea I'll steel.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

• 2 weeks later...

Heya Derek. I'm one of those guys that follow a log as I need to, to get help on what I'm doing. I seldom have anything worth offering so I say little. Once in a while I gotta say, "Nice Job!"

Back to installing my garboard.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:52 PM, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

That's an idea I'll steel.

That's an idea I'll try before I buy.

Have you thought about how to paint the name on her? And which option will you use? Early I know, but I've been wondering.

In Dry Dock:

Actually Brian, I haven't given it any thought yet.  i'll let you know when I do

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

As far as the name goes, may I suggest Decal Paper. This is what I used on my Bluenose. You can use any color you like and pick your font. It works with almost all Computer printers.

Hi fnkershner, can you send me a pic of your decal paper name.  When I tried using "clear" labels you could definitely make out the label after applying polyurethane.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Derek,

I used Testors decal paper and the Sure Thing Decal Maker: Standard Ediition Software from Decal Gear; both worked well. I used it to create the decal name for the Marie Jeanne and Willie Bennett (see links in signature below).  If you have access to a Hobby Lobby store, they carry the decal paper, and Decal Bonder in their stores.  The decal paper comes Clear and White.  Any good ink jet printer will create the decals; use the Decal Bonder to set the ink before you immerse the paper in water - this is a MUST DO.

Edited by Jack12477