USS Constitution by JSGerson - Model Shipways Kit No. MS2040

Jon,

Thanks for that link.  I will check them out, although I am not new to ship building.  I am always looking "for a better way" to do things to improve my building because I do not believe that I know all there is to know about ship modeling.  Your "Connie" looks great!

Bill

Based on my calculations above, I proceeded to install the first sill using 1/8” x ¼” stock basswood. To verify that those calculations were correct, I put together one long muzzle cannon to act as a gage as briefly mentioned by Darrell earlier. Instead of assembling the axis and wheels for the carriage, I simply used some blocks of equivalent height per kmart’s idea. It’s quick and dirty but does the trick. The mock-up cannon then was placed on a piece of 1/16” thick wood to represent the future planking and then onto the plywood support deck. I think I got it right.

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Using the 5/32” thick spacer, which passes through both sides of the model, per kmart, the remaining sills were inserted. As seen looking along the side of the model, the sills correctly follow the curve of the deck. As also seen in the closeup image, excess wood must be trimmed off to bring the sills flush with the hull. I’ve now determined that the first two gunports from the stern and from the stem will use the dummy cannons that came with the kit. That is because I don’t expect these guns to be seen by the observer, plus it will allow me to close those gun port lids so that the observer can see what they look like closed. That’s eight carriage rigs I won’t have to make plus $40 I can keep in my pocket because Model Expo charges $5/cannon & carriage should anyone want to add that gundeck detail.

There is one other point I should mention – the sills for those dummy cannons will probably need their width adjusted to accommodate the dummy gun box the kit plans show. Because I plan to close the gunport lids, the muzzle of the cannons will be pulled back, so it only protrudes through the round opening in the closed lids. The kit plans show only the guns in their extended firing position. I don’t know what those measurements will be yet.

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

Jon, 

Looking good.  I like the green plank on inside of bulwarks.

Glad to see someone following my build and benefiting from it.  :-)

It's mutual as I keep checking you log for ideas as well!

From you pic.. you gun barrel  does seem to be too low thought.  Hard to be sure until the top gunport sill is in. (See if its centered)

I know the spacer under my gun carriage was taller than i expected to get the height of the barrel right.

I think used2sail did some surgery on his carriages as well to increase the height.

Best

K

Current Build:  USS Constitution ( Model Expo)
Past Builds:

HMS Victory Bow Section
   British Armed Launch
   Friesland (Dutch 74 - 1663)
   Roger B. Taney (US Revenue Cutter )

kmart - I thought it was just me, but I think you confirmed it - The guns are too low. After all that measuring, I screwed up again (remember the stern cabin). Thanks for reminding me to look at Usedtosail's build log again. I think he has a good solution - split the gun carriage lengthwise and add a filler piece to raise the height. That's 24 carriages or 48 side pieces plus all the filler strips. There is of course the other possibility of making completely new carriage sides from scratch the way I did for my Rattlesnake. It's a lot of work, but it has to done. Since I can't make the final height measurements until the top header is in place, I think I'll finish the gunport framing. So, based on my "lightening" speed of construction and my planned time off for some other activities next week, it will be a while before I get to those gun carriages. Thanks again Kmart

Yep, that's how I adjusted the heights on my gun deck guns. I used a straight edge razor blade to make the cut in one push.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post, I’ve been to Florida to visit Mom for a week and will do so again in June for her 100th birthday. A little celebration, you know the usual stuff: skydiving, a bit of scuba in the Atlantic, a spin in a race car at Daytona, and a wild party in the evening…….Riiiigggght!!! Wishful thinking. Friends and family will drop by to bestow their good wishes, maybe some cake and ice cream.

Back at the shipyard, I’ve added the gunport header using the same spacer method.

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

Following the kit plans, the gunport sides were added. They were cut using my miter saw to create parallelogram shaped pieces to conform to the tumblehome of the hull.

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

The spacer which I used to install the gunport headers was designed so that its cross section was exactly the dimensions of the opening of the gunports. The side pieces were pressed against the spacer sides and glued into place completing the gunport framework. Some of the gunports were formed with one bulkhead as the gunport side, others with two pieces I cut as dictated by the plans.

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

Once all the side pieces were installed. The gunport framework had to be trimmed to conform to the hull. This was accomplished with grease…elbow grease and sanding sticks. I suppose I could have trimmed the excess wood with a knife, but I was afraid that I might cut too much accidentally or worse, cut me. Although sanding slow, it’s more controllable. You can see the trim difference in the before and after images

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Access Openings to Berthing Deck

In order to progress on the Gun Deck, the deck planking must be installed. But before that can be accomplished, the openings (gratings, hatchways, and ladders) must be constructed and installed first. Since none of the materials to construct these items came with the kit, they had to be fabricated from scratch, well mostly.

As I mentioned earlier in this log, I had attempted to procure a second sheet of gratings intended for the Spar Deck to use on the Gun Deck. That didn’t work out so well as Model Expo’s computer couldn’t recognize sales of non-catalog items, but they would send me one for free as part of their replacement policy, which they did.

IMG_1399.JPG

Because I needed to add a profile to the frame, hardwood was preferred material over basswood which get fuzzy at the edges. From my cache of hardwood, I decided on a whim to use pearwood for the grating frames as opposed to boxwood – a little more contrast for interest. The dimensions were taken from the US Navy plans where possible.

The Main Hatch and ladders (grating with ladder openings on either side of it) was guesstimated as the US Navy plans showed two different configurations neither of which matched the one existing today.

Main Hatch Plans Gun Deck.png

Under Main Hatch 01 - reduced.png

The construction of the framework proceeded upside-down using mitered joints. This kept the grating flush with top of the frame. I used mitered joints because of the profile, which was made using the Byrnes saw, an X-acto knife, and files. Lastly, a coat of Wipe-On Poly was brushed onto the bare wood. The last image shows where the frames will be installed after the ladders are fabricated.

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hatchway Preparation for Ladders

The inside of the hatchways extends down to the bottom of the support 9” (1/8” scale) beams below the gun deck and are painted white. To simulate this, lengths of 3/32” (1/8” less 1/32” plywood = 3/32” scale) thick basswood were glued on the underside of the 1/32” plywood gun deck support. Then the inside of the hatchways and the hatchway framework were painted white. Not anyone will see it when completed, but I just could not leave it alone.

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

wooden-stairs-between-the-gun-deck-and-the-berth_large.jpg

Gun Deck to Berth Deck Ladders

One of my building nemeses are ladders. My first and only experience with them was on the Rattlesnake (1/64 scale).  According to Mr. Hunt’s practicum, he made his ladders using slots cut into the ladder legs to accept and support the steps. Mr. Hunt did this on his Preac micro table saw without any jigs, and he did it very well. Of course, the scale was a little bit larger and he used larger dimensions. I was able to make mine, but with a lot less finesse and more cursing

PA04102003 009m.jpg

Per the US Navy plans, the steps are 1 3/8” thick (3/128” scale) and the legs are 1 ½” thick (3/128” scale). I have seen jigs that use the Byrnes saw (or similar) to cut these slots as well, but at these scales 1/76.8, the slicing blade on the saw is too wide and never mind the minuscule depth cut of the slot that would be needed. In his practicum for the USS Constitution, Mr. Hunt avoided the problem all together by not building the gun deck and not showing any ladders leading to it. I needed something better. I found another ladder building method that other builders have used on this site, albeit at a larger scale, but I going to try it anyways. No leg slots are required.

The jig consists of alternate layers of two different thicknesses and lengths of wood glued together in such a way as to create slots of equal spacing. The wood thicknesses represent the step thickness and spacing distance. With aid of a ladder guide stuck on with double sided tape, the steps are placed into the thin slots up against the guide which is set at 53° for example. Because different hatchways have different widths and ladder angles, the jig must accept the narrowest ladder tread such that it extends out on either side to accept the gluing of the ladder legs.

I went ahead and built the jig but forgot to account for the ladder lean angle. As a result, my first jig was too narrow (left jig, the revised one is on the right). The second image show the jig after a bit of sanding, and the third image shows it with the angle guides. I’m going to use two to support the steps on both sides to insure all at the same angle. Then the ladder legs will be glued on.

I’m going to leave the build at this point as I must get ready for my trip to Mom’s to celebrate her 100th birthday at the beginning of June as I have previously mentioned. We’ll see how well the jig works when I get back to the shipyard.

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

Ladder Jig Plan.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I survived my Mom’s 100th birthday party and surprisingly that went off without a hitch. I did have surprise items for my “To Do”” List, but that is another story. There was one item that affected me: my back. It has been slowly deteriorating to the point now where I’m seeking medical help because it can be quite painful, and it is slowing me down (if that’s possible). So back to the ship yard

The angle of the ladder is based on hatch length (the horizontal base) and the vertical height. Since I know the step spacings and the number of steps (10, the full height of the jig), I can lay out the angle on the jig. I drew a vertical reference line first (long pencil line). Then, I measured the base off the model and marked it on the jig (the short pencil mark). The top edge of the guide is placed where the long line meets the top of the guide. The other top edge is placed where the short line meets the bottom of the jig. This held down with double sided tape. The other side of the jig was mirrored the same.

IMG_1414.JPG

The steps were inserted into the slots against the guide. Due to the shortness of the steps I was able to place the first ladder leg against the guide when it was glued to the steps. Care had to be taken not to get any PVC glue on the jig. After about an hour. I did the opposite side.

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

Finally, after waiting about two hours more, I very gingerly slid the ladder out of the jig. The ladder wasn’t perfect. during the gluing process, one of the legs shifted about a millimeter, so the ladder very slightly skewed. It was then given a coat of Wipe-On Poly. This won’t matter much because it will difficult to see. Had this been on the spar deck, I’d do it over. For a first attempt, not too bad.

IMG_1417.JPG

For a dry fit, I placed the hatch onto the gun deck to see how it would look. As you can see from the last image, the ladder is hanging out into space. I’ll need to add a small landing for physical support as well as stanchions and the hand rope. One down, four to go. Yes, I know, no one but me will know they are even there.

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve glued a piece of wood to act as a support for the first ladder and I’ve completed all the remaining ladders that go from the gun deck to the berth deck. To install the ladders, the hatches must be glued in, but before I can do that, I had to add the two hatch stanchions that hold the hand ropes. Two more stanchions were added to the base of the ladder and tied with a length of 0.3mm “rope.” The stanchions were made from 0.02” music wire. For the hatch stanchions, I added a tiny blob of PVC glue and painted it with brass paint. I doubt that anyone will notice. The bottom ones are not visible, so they weren’t done. The actual stanchions have rope rings through which the rope is attached, but at these scales and locations, I made it easier for myself and left them off. Finally, I glued the first hatch in place, then the ladder, and finally tied off the ropes to the top stanchion.

My back is quickly going down the toilet. I’ve started physical therapy, which has helped some, but I can remain on my feet only a short period of time before I start walking with a limp due to pain. Seems I got some rust on my golden years. I’ve got X-rays, CAT scans scheduled, and an appointment with an Orthopedic doctor. So, we’ll see what happens.

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

Nice work, Jon!  At this scale, very challenging.

Sorry to hear about your back, but I feel your pain (literally).  In the last 18 months I'ved had 2 MRI's, 2 EMG's, 5 epidural steroid injections and been in physical therapy twice.  The neurosurgeon is talking about a laminectomy with fusion, but the chances that will solve the problem are, in my opinion, less than good.  My limitations are very similar to yours.  Getting old is NOT for sissies! :( 

Doc, I had a laminectomy (no fusion) in 1979 and I was pain free until this year. I have no idea yet if the culprit is at the same location or elsewhere. I should know in a few weeks. I am truly sorry about your condition. So far no epidural injections or MRI's (can't have those, I have a pacemaker) and I guess I have not had any EMG's because I don't know what they are. I hope whatever procedure you do end up with works because the alternative is not pretty.

• 5 weeks later...

It’s been over a month since my last post. My life has been turned a little topsy-turvy due to my back issue. I’ve been diagnosed with a curvature of the lumbar region of my spine with degenerative disc disease and at least one herniated disc so now I walk with a slight hunch and a bit of pain (sometimes more, sometimes less). The CAT scans and X-rays were not pretty. The good news is that the physical therapy has helped reduce the pain, so I can stand and walk for longer periods of time. Thankfully I get almost total relief when I sit. I was told that if surgery is in my future, it will be complicated and very risky. Oh joy.

That being said, I did manage to move forward with build by completing all the stairs going to the berth deck. For something most viewers won’t even see unless they look really close, Still, I had to put in a fair amount of detail. I even prepared the forward-facing wall of the Captain’s cabin complex. It is like the transom cabin with printed detail due to its inaccessibility to the viewer.

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

Cannonball Racks

After I added the printed detail on the Captain’s cabin complex, I realized I hadn’t installed the Wardroom skylight grating. I then realized that now would be the most opportune time to add the cannonball racks to the skylight.

Because the kit did not provide anything to construct the gun deck, I needed something to represent the cannonballs. Taking a cue from xKen’s (a.k.a. Ken Forman) build, I purchased some black 2 mm ball ball-chain from the jewelry section of Hobby Lobby. The ball size is close enough for this scale.

IMG_1429.JPG

Since the chain was already colored black, no color preparation was required. All that was needed was to cut the appropriate length of chain. When laid down on the side of the skylight, the chain was push together so that the links were not visible. In fact, the links made handling quite easy.

At this point I had a decision to make: add the ball racks or not. My modeler’s gut reaction was to at least attempt to make them. The practical side said no, no one will see them due to the awkward viewing angle and lighting, not to mention how difficult and delicate they would be to make; at least not on the gun deck, maybe on the spar deck.

That was all fine and good for the skylight, but if the cannon balls are to be installed there, I should also install them on the other appropriate hatches. They, however, would be a bit more difficult since they were already installed on the gun deck. By tipping the hull frame on its sides I was able to place and glue the balls into position with CA glue. For those balls which had to be installed on the for and aft sides of the hatches, the hull frame was supported on its transom and stem

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG