USS Constitution by JSGerson - Model Shipways Kit No. MS2040

Whaleboat Rudders

Using the US Navy Plans, the rudder plans were made into templates and rubber cemented to 1/64” plywood. Because most the parts were to be painted, the plywood was used for its strength. Like the gig, the rudder was made of four components: the main rudder blade, the re-enforcement plates for the tiller, the tiller, and the yoke. The tillers and yokes were stained. The rudder assembly will be installed later. You will note in the last picture my hand vise (holding up the ruler) which I used to file and shape the tillers and yokes.

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

Whaleboat Rails, Knees and Thole Plates

The rails were made from 1/64” boxwood. The bow and stern knees, as well as the thole pin plates used 1/64th plywood (for its strength).

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

Whaleboat Rails, Knees and Thole Plates

The rails were made from 1/64” boxwood. The bow and stern knees, as well as the thole pin plates used 1/64th plywood (for its strength).

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

Whaleboat Steering oar oar-lock

Unlike the gig, the whaleboats have an oar lock on the port side for a steering oar. Following xKen’s lead, the oar lock was made by twisting 22-gauge wire tightly around a nail to form a loop at one end. I then silver soldered the twisted wire and filed it to simulate a solid shaft. The loop was cut and form into a U-shape. According to the plans, the lock was to be fastened to the inside face of the rail with a bracket. But due to the scale, I elected to just drill a hole into the rail and inserted the lock with a spot of CA.

IMG_1229.JPG

IMG_1233.JPG

Final Touches

I chose not to attach the rudder assembly to the boats due to their very delicate structure. In actuary, the rudders are not stored inside boat when not used. All the oars, masts, and any other accoutrements will be made at the time the boats are to be installed.

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

The Main Build

So much for the appetizers, now the main course!

With a deep breath, I took the sheets with the keel parts from the box. I carefully removed them from the sheets and marked them with their respective reference lines. Nothing has been trimmed or glued, just laid out on the table. Some major decisions need to be made now.

First – Am I going to use the simulated guns or opt for showing some of the lower deck which would require buying additional guns and carriages?

Second – How is the model to be displayed, with pedestals or a cradle? If with pedestals, I want to ensure that the pedestal screws won’t break the keel should the model get moved or handled a bit rough. I want to re-enforce those areas. If a cradle is used, how is the model held down during transport, should it need to be moved. This is a problem I presently have with my Rattlesnake.

Third – I have a couple of pieces of authentic USS Constitution oak wood which I would like to incorporate into the model. The pieces are approximately 2 ¼” x 2 3/8” x 7/8 – 5/8” and 2 3/8” x 2 3/8” x ¾”. They were purchased just before the ship went into dry dock 3 years ago. I have not been able to procure any additional wood since, let alone different sizes or shapes.

I would welcome any and all suggestions especially on how to use the oak wood pieces.

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG

Amazing job with the ships boats.

As for how to use the oak....Grains to big for scale on the model. 

Should be seen so not an internal piece

and I wouldn't want to paint or copper over it.

So my vote is that I would use it to make the cradle. 

I've just started my Connie build as well so I'm eager to watch your progress as we are at the same point as far as the ship proper goes.  (I'll build my boats last.)

Current Build:  USS Constitution ( Model Expo)
Past Builds:

HMS Victory Bow Section
   British Armed Launch
   Friesland (Dutch 74 - 1663)
   Roger B. Taney (US Revenue Cutter )

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, it’s been about a month since my last post. I’ve been a bit busy, but not so much directly with the model. I went to St. Petersburg, Florida for the 2017 NRG Conference which is always worth the trip. Then since I was already in Florida, I visited my Mom for a week. Once I got back home I had about two weeks of mail, bills, etc. to work my way through, and other sundry things. Oh, and while I was away, my toilet leaked, so I had to get that taken care of. Finally, I got my head back in builder mode.

Right now, I’m thinking of replacing sections of the keel with the authentic oak from the ship and then inserting flush vertical tubes through the oak section of the keel. The oak would be nice and strong, and the tubes would hold thick pins sticking up from the pillars mounted on a board. This would allow me to remove the model from the display as needed and would, should I decide to, allow me to use a cradle interchangeable.

So far, I have created the rabbet on keel bulkhead and tapered the stem and rudder post pieces as indicated in the plans. The three pieces of the keel bulkhead have been glued together and the two joints reinforced with 1” x 2” 1/32” plywood. I used wax paper so that my weights would not be glued to the wood. The glue did adhere slightly to the wax on the paper which gave the wood a water stained look.

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

Trailboard Preliminaries

Looking at the stem piece, it seemed to me that now would be a good time to think about the trailboard decorations. Because I have the US Navy plans CD from the USS Constitution Museum, I have the plans for the decorations and the billet head so why not use that instead of the kit’s rendering? The billet head is a separate drawing. I merged the two images on the computer and printed a kit size template. The reason I did this, is because the billet head has a carved hole which does not appear in the kit plans, but is obvious when looking at the real ship. I laid the template on the stem and marked the shape and position of the opening with pin marks.

One other thing I have not seen in other builds. The trailboard decorations are not completely on the trailboard. Just a bit wraps onto the hull. Strangely, the CD does not have that part of the decoration plan, so I used an image of the real ship to complete the design on my template.

But before I can move forward anymore, I have to make preparations for my Thanksgiving trip to colonial Connecticut. It’s going to be a big shebang at my Sister’s house with relatives coming as far away as Tokyo, Japan, Seattle, WA and myself from South Carolina.

Trailboard Annotated.png

dsc_0159.jpg

Ship's Billethead.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Thanksgiving bash was all it was hyped up to be. By herself, my Sister had 18 people around her table, not once for the Thanksgiving meal, but three times over the course of two days, a total 31 people coming in and out through the course of the week. How she did it, with appearing to show little effort, I’ll never know.

Trailboard Preliminaries Continued

OK, not enough praise for my Sister, but it’s back to business. Using the pin marks I made on the stem, I drilled out the opening and fine tuned it with an X-acto knife. I’m going to assume the opening might be a bit bigger than I made it, but I’ll address that when the trailboard carvings are made and attached.

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

Note: This text is for the images in the last post. I was getting an error message when the text was pasted in.

Installation of the Keel

The keel was glued on in sections. First the oak wood from the actual ship was inserted into the forward and aft keel pieces. The position was dictated by where I planned to use pedestals to display the model. You can see where I marked the keel bulkhead with arrows. The length of the oak was limited to the approximate 3" square pieces of oak I had.

Once the oak was glued into the keel pieces, a 3/32” hole was drilled through. The keel pieces were ready to be glued to the keel bulkhead. First, I glued together the stern post to the aft keel section and the stem to the forward keel section. Then these two sections were glued to the keel bulkhead. This left a gap in the center for the last keel section. This was done this way to ensure that any errors in my cutting of the keel pieces and replacing them with the oak pieces would appear in the center of the model.  Then the last piece, the center section keel was glued into place. And, as it turned out, my cutting precision left a little bit to be desired.  There were gaps on either side of the center keel section which had to be filled in and sanded.

I went back to the pedestal holes and drilled the holes, so they continued into the keel bulkhead. Now they were ready to have the brass 3/32” tubes inserted. I see a lot of model displays with the ship model supported by keel pedestals. I just don’t trust that the screw/bolt going up the thin keel is strong enough to support a heavy model if there are any lateral loads (bumped table, transporting, etc.). I also didn’t want a cradle support (like my Rattlesnake) because the model would be  loose. I plan on using a pedestal with outriggers (like a mini cradle) so that any lateral load will be supported by the model’s hull. Bob Hunt’s practicum shows his model supported with pins protruding from the model’s keel into the pedestals. He wanted to be able to remove the model from the stand as he worked on it. I liked that idea, but reversed the pins. I can still remove the model to work on it without having to protect the pins sticking out of the model since they will be embedded in the pedestals. At the completion of the build I will have the option of gluing the model to the pins for a permanent display.

IMG_1282.JPG

Display Stand.png

Cpt Jack Sparrow - I look forward to watching you build your Connie. 

Dave (DocBlake) - Good to hear from you again. It was nice to finally meet you at the St. Petersburg NRG convention; just sorry we didn't really get a chance to chat very much.

I've learned my lesson with Mr. Hunt's practicums: they are a great guide, as I could not have done my Rattlesnake without it, but don't follow them word for word. The choices he makes may not be the ones you would make. I have some wonderful build logs to follow now and I hope to glean the best from all of them, including Mr. Hunt's.

Jon

Looks like you are progressing well. I took the easy way out with the original wood from the Constitution. I made wood dowels from the original wood and used them to pin the false keel on. That way I gave some HEART to the model. Have fun.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Bulkhead Preparation

The first thing I thought I should do was add the bevels to the edges of the bulkheads as shown in the Hunt practicum. I cut out the patterns of each bulkhead from copies I made of the plans. For those bullheads that had a bevel, the pattern showed the bevel on the right side only. By flipping the pattern over, I was able to trace the bevel lines onto both sides of the bulkhead. Now as many of us Conny builders have discovered, neither the laser cut bullheads, nor the drawings are exactly symmetrically cut or drawn, and nor do they necessarily exactly match each other. For this reason, I chose not to add the bevels before they are fastened to the keel. The bevel lines I drew will only be used as a guide and the bevels themselves will created once the bulkheads are in their final position and glued into place.

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

The Plunge

Being the “I think I can do anything provided I have something to follow” guy, and since there are a lot of great build logs out there, I took the deep plunge into the unknown (for me at least) and decided I did not like the concept of dummy cannons. I wanted a full set of “real guns” on my model. That meant to accommodate a layer of 1/32” plywood base and 1/16” decking planks, I had to remove from the bullheads as well as the keel 3/32” of material. Making a mistake here affects just about the whole build.

Now what is the point of adding a full set of cannons to the gun deck if you cannot see them? That means I will have to provide some mechanism so that one can see, at least in part, the gun deck and that also means I will have to populate that deck with all the details one would expect to see. I just made this project juuuuust a wee bit more challenging.

The spar deck cross beam supports of the bulkheads had to be removed. First because the bulkheads are made of plywood and was charred in the initial laser cutting process. Second, access will be needed to the gun deck for the installation of all decking, guns, and details. Third, because I assume that some of the replacement cross beams will be exposed and will need to be more realistic.

The 3/32” lines were drawn along the top of the gun deck cross beam support of the bulkheads as well as the top of the keel bulkhead with a compass set to 3/32”. This was done because both the beams and the longitudinal length of the deck are curved. Using a ruler would have messed up the sweeping curves.

The cross and vertical supports were cut off first using a fine tooth saw. The stubs of the cross support were left in place so that the replacement cross beams could easily be re- attached. Using my rotary tool as a drum sander, most of the now excess wood above the 3/32” line was removed from the bulkheads. The areas in the corners where the drum could not reach were removed using the fine tooth saw and files. The wood on the keel was removed using just the hand saw.

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

Tom - I used your build log to guide me through this stage of the kit bash process. If I had paid more attention, I would have cut the spar deck supports off after I removed the excess wood from the gun deck support like you did. You were able to use the spar deck supports to align the bulkheads when stacked together to smooth them all out. I had to use the spar deck support stubs; a bit more difficult. I still have to deepen the mast notches. I won't be able to use Lego blocks like you did to align the bulkheads on the keel since I don't have any. I'm a life long bachelor, so no kids, but I have other tools. Between you and xKen and a number of other builders, I should have a nice guided tour of how to supplement Robert Hunt's practicum.

2 hours ago, JSGerson said:

I won't be able to use Lego blocks like you did to align the bulkheads on the keel since I don't have any. I'm a life long bachelor, so no kids, but I have other tools.

Even a bachelor should have Lego!  Lego is always awesome :D!

Meddo, you're probable right, but I was a deprived child, I never had any. All I had was the Gilbert Erector set. My three nephews had generous parents (my sister and husband) and they built not just buildings, but complete cities with all the required (and unrequired) roads, vehicles, figures, and other accessories and still had buckets (literally) full leftover unused. They gave them to their kids who are now enjoying them, supplemented with the latest stuff of course. Unfortunately they live in Seattle and Connecticut; I live in South Carolina. Sigh.

Edited by JSGerson

Jay, I'm glad you find my build log useful. Don't get too hung up on what I did, I was pretty much flying blind at that point. You can't go wrong following along with xKen's and other's logs here too. I am currently building the stunning sail boom brackets following xKen's excellent instructions.

No Legos? Well, PM me your address and I'll send you some. We have a big tub that the kids don't want (they are too young to have their own kids yet).

Tom, talk about flying blind, when I started my Rattlesnake, I didn't even know online build logs existed. I stumbled upon the the Hunt practicums, and without that, I would never have even contemplated building a square rigged ship model. Now I have a wealth of info for the Constitution. The fact that I can see what others have done right and especially what they did wrong and the resulting consequences, really teaches you. So OK, you were flying blind, but as you learned, so did the rest of us who followed your work. Thank you for documenting it.

Thanks also for the Lego offer, but as I said, my nephews and their kids have more Legos then they know what to do with. If I need any, that's where I'll have them sent from.

Continuing with the keel modification, the three masthead notches were extended 3/32” to compensate for the gun deck modification. Technically this did not have to be done because once the plywood and decking are installed and mast hole are drilled, the length of mast notches should match the original length of the notch cavity. I just wanted additional strength. I just have to remember to extend the base mast lengths by 3/32”.

IMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

The bulkheads were installed one by one using a set of heavy angle irons I got from Micro-Mark when I started my Rattlesnake. After I took this picture, I rotated the angle iron onto its side, so I could clamp to both the bulkhead and the keel. I just forgot to take another photo.

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1297.JPG