S-100 Schnellboot by CDW (Craig) - FINISHED - Plastic - Revell - 1:72

It's time for me to put a bow on this one and call it finished. Tonight it will go into my display case for the grandsons and other visitors to eyeball behind glass, safe from curious hands.

Of course, I reserve my right to float it in the bath tub with me from time to time when necessary to run "sea trials". :)

DSCN0705.JPG

DSCN0706.JPG

DSCN0707.JPG

DSCN0709.JPG

DSCN0710.JPG

DSCN0711.JPG

DSCN0712.JPG

DSCN0713.JPG

DSCN0714.JPG

DSCN0715.JPG

Want to decide on one of these, next:

1:200 Mikasa with a Pontos detail set

1:350 Duke of York  - a conversion from the Tamiya Prince of Wales using a Pontos conversion set

1:48 Billing Calypso Research Vessel

1:8 '32 Ford Roadster Street Rod (for a change of pace)

1:32 Trumpeter SU-25 Frogfoot ground attack aircraft (another change of pace)

Going to decide in the next day or so. 

I wish the Calypso had even less to do with a plastic model...like the hull being of wood construction instead of that ABS plastic. I'm still looking at alternative construction to build the hull from wood rather than using the plastic hull.

• 2 years later...

I was curious too about the purpose of the white disk behind the forward gun.  Since it is secured with ropes and fittings I believe it is meant to be moved.  Jumping to a conclusion I believe it is a cover for the forward gun position. It would make sense from a nautical view that you would cover that position in heavy seas so as not to be weighed down by the compartment being flooded.  Just my best guess. If anyone has a better idea please let me know.

1 hour ago, Conan the Barbarian said:

I was curious too about the purpose of the white disk behind the forward gun.  Since it is secured with ropes and fittings I believe it is meant to be moved.  Jumping to a conclusion I believe it is a cover for the forward gun position. It would make sense from a nautical view that you would cover that position in heavy seas so as not to be weighed down by the compartment being flooded.  Just my best guess. If anyone has a better idea please let me know.

I believe you may be correct...that makes perfect sense.

I'm building a 1/72 Schnellboot right now.  I stumbled across the 2 uploaded photos in my search for reference material.  Answers our question about what the disk was used for.

By the way, CDW, this build of yours is great.  I used your ship as a reference for the liferafts.  I scratchbuilt the black one from miliput and am going to paint the square one the same color as yours.  I like your color because it has a more used look and that is what I am trying to capture.  Good job!

twosbo10[1].jpg

numari27[1].jpg