Many photos are submitted with generic names (i.e. IMG_1234.JPG). Many of us add these photos to our Resource Files. It seems that it would be better to have the photos named by the owner. Does this make any sense to others?

Hello Dupree,

I always name my photos and number them. That way I can always find them in my backup folder.

But if I click on a photo after uploading it, the name doesn't show.

Only when I edit my post, I can see the photo names.

Regards,

Anja

I have a simple solution for you, Dupree ...

When you are saving photos to store in your own Resource File, just select Save As, and then enter the file-name which you would like to call the picture.

I move my photos off the camera into a temp directory to check them.  The ones I keep I just rename to a number for my log.  Takes a few seconds but it works for me.

I just do a basic edit in photoshop and save/rename my picture so it's easy to find in a folder. Something like "Main mast 01" "02" etc.

Then I run an action to resize and optimize for web/msw and that saves it to a sub folder specifically to post to msw. Since I never edit the base layer on the original file I can always go back and fiddle with the file and re save for Msw or print or whatever. 

It takes about 30 seconds an image from open to running the action. Works for me. 

Sam

Thank you Captain. What I am doing is is placing all the JPG's into a folder for each contributor that I use and then bulk naming them. For example I will "select" all photos and then rename them and the result will be the name I choose followed by 1...2...3...4 and so forth. Works well enough. Thanks for he feed back.

there is also software out there that makes things like that very very simple. Media Pro is what I use when I have lots of renaming to do or appending a file or adding something to front end of a name. There are others that work just as well. Probably free also.

Anyway, whatever is working for you, your the Captain.:)

Sam

I usually rename my photos with a date and some brief info.  So frinstance, a pic called "170311cr" would be the resized (r) version of the 3rd (c) photo I took on 11 March 2017.

My model photos are always named for the model and date; Constellation being con, Pride being pri, etc.  then the 4-digit year (don't wanna go through THAT again), 2-digit month and day, then a sequence letter or number.  if I use a number I precede it with an underscore _

This way, when I sort the folder by name, they are automatically listed by model (though I keep each model's images in it's own folder), chronological order, and then the order they were taken in.

For instance;

con20100522a.jpg

mac20150103c.jpg

pri20170317a.jpg

or boat20170311_01.jpg