Pen Duick by hof00 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/28

Unfortunately, I managed to delete my previous thread the other night, very clever of me.

One Member, (Can't remember their "Handle"), was requesting information on the method used to perform the Deck Planking, but, I don't think that they had a chance to see my Post regarding this. Anyway, if they see this, they can ask again.... :)

Over the next few hours, I'll post photos of the build thus far, for posterity and anyone else attempting this model.

DSC_0673.thumb.jpg.5a52b7b4b0ab783eae9a0e041070d060.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Wow that is a lot of canvas up high, model looks great.

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Nice build,

I love the lines of her.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks Gentlemen.

Yup, there is a lot of Sail and agree the lines are very graceful.

Regarding the Sails, I had a gripe in my previous Thread, The Kit supplied Sails are not 100%, if anything their too small.

A video of the real thing, not too bad for an 1898 Yacht design.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

At 1:50, the boat that is sailing in front of and to the left has a hull number B5929, which is the  Bergère de Domrémy.  This is the boat that I based my Corel Sloup build on!

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Boy does she ever keel over.  At one point one of the crew members got his feet wet when they inadvertently went into the water at the 0:16 mark.  You have done her justice with your build HOF.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Derek,

That's very kind of you.

It's been a bit of a "Mission" with the re-paints, (X3), my fault for trying Lacquer over the top of Acrylic.

Kit Sails were a bit of a disappointment also.

I'm hoping to get it finished this coming Weekend.... (Minus Cabinet as I still need to plan this.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

I really thought that I would have finished this but no such luck this weekend.... :(

Fractured a couple of ribs, (Mine), a couple of weeks ago, the Pain Killers preclude any work that I wanted to do, so, instead, have been tidying the Ship Room and pre-planning the Cabinet. (Dimensions 640mm long, 800mm high, 120mm wide.)

Next weekend maybe.... :)

So close....

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

• 2 weeks later...

you did a fantastic job with this build Hof.       sails look great too :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Guest Riccardo1966

Hello hof00, That looks very nice, especially the joggling on the deck. Do you cut the mahogany center board first or as each plank is laid?.

I have been thinking of this boat myself as it is relatively cheap and you show what a nice model can be made from it, it's lovely.

Regards Richard

P.Sis it largely the weight of material of the sails(scale wise) that you find unsatisfactory or more than that?.

Hi Chap,

Thank you for the compliment!!

Pen Duick Deck procedure, (For me anyway), as follows, probably easier to give you the "Full Monty" version.

(I had the same question :))

I started with a Margin Plank, I had some 1.0 X 3.0 mm Mahogany strip lying around, I guess you could use the Basswood that the Kit provides, just personal choice,

I used the "Micromark" planking Clamps to hold the curve. (Make sure the Margin is perfectly flush with the outside of the False Deck as all subsequent Planking follows this and gives symmetry both Left and Right.)

For the King Plank, this is 15mm? (Cant Recall.) Anyway, King plank cut to length, C/L drawn on, my Joggle interval was about 25.0mm along the C/L from the termination of the Margin Plank.

Vertical cuts about 2.0mm each side of the King plank and tapered back to the Apex of the next Joggle, about 80', if that makes sense.

(A bit of trial and error here, keep in mind how long each segment of the King Plank is and how many Deck Planks are Joggled in to each.)

Planking laid from the Outside In and slightly tapered where it meets the "Joggle."

(Caulking is Pencil rubbed on both sides of each Plank.)

(The Mahogany used for this is very brittle, all cross cuts were made with my Proxxon Table Saw, cutting with the Grain, "Super" sharp Scalpel.)

Note: The Mahogany is very brittle "Period", very easy to fracture the Deck House/Skylight components!!

Don't forget the Centre Line on the False Deck!!

Have a look at the below URL.

I printed these out, (A4), to assist with calculations/guesstimates :))

http://5500.forumactif.org/t1271p50-pen-duick-d-artesania-latina

Sails? I initially thought that these were o.k., not so in my purchase....

• Main Sail - Too short lengthwise by abbot 10.0mm, Both Boom and Gaff
  • Flying Jib - Acceptable
  • Fore Sail - Too tall
  • Jib - Too tall
  • Top Sail - surprisingly o.k.

The "Hemming" was not good, at the apex of the 3 Fore Sails there was a huge excess, "Lump" of material.

I think that the material "Weight" was probably about right for the Scale.

Maybe I got a Monday Morning or a Friday Afternoon Sail set. :D

The Kit does provide a plan for Sails if you wish to make or get someone to make them.

Maybe it was just my particular Kit?

Anyway, It's proved to be a really good build thus far.

Happy to try and assist/offer advice if you decide to take the plunge!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Guest Riccardo1966

Hi HOF, Thank you for such a detailed reply, I think it is a distinct possibility that this will be a kit I will attempt. I will happily call on you for any advice,thanks.

I agree about the hemming on the sails and the short fall of 10mm is somewhat worrying although it does not detract from from appearance of your very nicely made model IMO.

She is a truly beautiful boat in that video and you have done it justice, a stunning build.

Kindest regards Richard.

Thank you Sir,

Those are very kind words indeed!!

Looking forward to your Build Log one day soonish.

(I shall be following with interest.)

Cheers....HOF. (Harry)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I just started the the same kit. Was looking for your original log because it had more photos. I asked you about the jagged center deck plank in your original post. But didn't get to see the reply before the post was deleted. So how did you make that jagged center plank? Did you lay down that "spine" first then planked the rest? 

Thanks!

RB

Yup,

A push of the wrong button....

Anyway, here you go:

Pen Duick Deck procedure, (For me anyway), as follows, probably easier to give you the "Full Monty" version.

I started with a Margin Plank, I had some 1.0 X 3.0 mm Mahogany strip lying around, I guess you could use the Basswood that the Kit provides, just personal choice,

I used the "Micromark" planking Clamps to hold the curve. (Make sure the Margin is perfectly flush with the outside of the False Deck as all subsequent Planking follows this and gives symmetry both Left and Right.)

For the King Plank, this is 15mm? (Cant Recall.) Anyway, King plank cut to length, C/L drawn on, my Joggle interval was about 15.0mm along the C/L from the termination of the Margin Plank. (I guess that it's dependent on you deck planks, anyway, it should just flow after the first couple.)

Vertical cuts about 2.0mm each side of the King plank and tapered back to the Apex of the next Joggle, about 80', if that makes sense.

(A bit of trial and error here, keep in mind how long each segment of the King Plank is and how many Deck Planks are Joggled in to each.)

Planking laid from the Outside In and slightly tapered where it meets the "Joggle."

(The Mahogany used for this is very brittle, all cross cuts were made with my Proxxon Table Saw, cutting with the Grain, "Super" sharp Scalpel.)

Note: The Mahogany is very brittle "Period", very easy to fracture the Deck House/Skylight components!!

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

On 4/16/2017 at 8:08 PM, hof00 said:

Yup,

A push of the wrong button....

Anyway, here you go:

For the King Plank, this is 15mm? (Cant Recall.) Anyway, King plank cut to length, C/L drawn on, my Joggle interval was about 15.0mm along the C/L from the termination of the Margin Plank. (I guess that it's dependent on you deck planks, anyway, it should just flow after the first couple.)

Thanks HOF for such a detailed explanation.

I visited the bottom link. It's in French I think. What did you print out to assist with calculations? I plan to install water ways tonight and work my way in. I don't have a table saw. So working with mahogany is going to be tricky. I don't know if I can cut the king plank with joggles. Like you said, mahogany splinters so easily. So I might just use bass wood and stain it to look like mahogany. 

Hi Chap,

I printed out the Plan View Photos of the Deck on A4, the photo of the Bow Plan view was large enough for me to more accurately judge angles, Etc.

So, if you haven't got a Table Saw, do you have a Razor Saw? you could use this and support the Mahogany on some suitable "Scrap" wood?

In my Kit, there was enough Mahogany to allow an error or two, I learnt a bit too. :)

(Its just the "Cross Grain" cuts, "With the Grain," no issues as long as you are using a new Blade.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

So I made a test piece with bass wood just to figure out the king plank. After making some pencil lines, things don't look quite right. The green area is the final shape with 25mm joggle interval. There're only two joggles not enough for the number of planks on either starboard or port side obviously. What's going on? 

Help please! :(

IMG_9990.JPG

IMG_9991.JPG

IMG_9992.JPG

Hi Chap,

Have a look at the pictures in the URL that I gave to you pictures from the URL that I gave to you.

Use these as a guide, you should be able to calculate joggle interval from these.

On the Plan View Pictures, Stem and Stern show 5 joggles each.

I just had a re-measure of mine, 12.0mm interval.

The template is a very good idea!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

So I had to scale one of your pictures to match to the 1cm wide plank lines(I assume you used the kit supplied 1cm mahogany plank) in photoshop. The two horizontal blue lines are set to be 1cm apart. The vertical blue lines are the positions of each apex. Taking the camera distortion into the consideration, those notches are not evenly distributed. I can print this image out in photoshop at 1:1 scale. It could be used as a general template. I probably need to make a few test pieces to see how it would work. I might have to pin down this king plank and add a few planks to make sure they fit nicely. I will report back.  

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 10.53.59 PM.png