Pen Duick by hof00 - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/28

Thanks Chap,

I think I'll probably "Re-Work" Sanson, although I am sorely tempted by the Mamoli "Flying Cloud" that I have in the closet.

Good luck with the Aircraft!! (Are you going to Post it on "Shore Leave?"

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 1 month later...

Thanks Chap,

Yup, The Paint stayed in place....

Working on the Cabinet at present, almost ready for the Glass!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Congratulations on your fine build. Looks like you also solved the not having enough hands problem as well.B)

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

nicely done Hof!   she looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Lou/Popeye,

Just ordered the Cabinet Glass, should be here Monday.

I guess I'll Post a couple of Pictures once it's safely ensconced in it's Cabinet.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

• 3 weeks later...

I can now truly say that this is finished now it is in it's Cabinet.

Wood is a Native New Zealand Timber, Rimu, hard to get hold of, just lucky that I've got a bit tucked away. :)

Cabinet has been situated next to a wall in the Lounge and Earthquake Braced. (Hopefully Braced enough)

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

nice looking case Hof......the whole display  is totally awesome  :)     she's a tall one  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 years later...

Congratulations on this beautiful build of the Pen Duick. I think the Pen Duick is one of the most stunningly beautiful sailboats ever made. 

I've had this kit on the shelf for a while and I'm seriously thinking of having a go at it. I am concerned about the nearly inadequate instructions and the poor quality of the sails but your model has given me the inspiration to go ahead and attempt it. I want to try and joggle the deck like you did but it will probably be an adventure for me trying to figure out the layout even with your instructions.

I love the lines of this boat so much that I figure I might as well jump in with both feet and see how much trouble I can get into! I hope you will be available to lend me some advice along the way with the inevitable problems I'm sure I'll run into or, more than likely, the problems I'll create. I'll be pleased if my boat turns out half as well as yours.

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you for the complement Chap!!

I am but a "Newbe" myself.

Joggling the deck I was fairly anxious about myself but worked out o.k.

I'll see if I still have some near scale photos from another modeller that I copied the "Joggle."

Just take your time....

Sails, mine anyway, were a bit of a mission and not quite correct in length, "Luff?"

My Partner did the sewing thing for me.

I hope to be on-line soon, moving Myself, my partner, cats, ship models and the house contents from Wellington to Taranaki as of tomorrow afternoon....

Cheers and Regards,

Harry Funnell.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

9 hours ago, hof00 said:

oggling the deck I was fairly anxious about myself but worked out o.k.

I'll see if I still have some near scale photos from another modeller that I copied the "Joggle."

Thanks, Harry, I'll hope I can come close to getting the deck as nice as you did.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Hello Harry, I've been reading over the brief instructions and studying the plans and I have a couple of questions that you may be able to help me with. As you know, the instructions are pretty brief and the photos are not a whole lot of help either. 

One of the last things the written instructions tell you to do is to drill the rudder blade shaft which is a long, diagonal hole through the deck and false keel for the rudder masthead (the rod that attaches to the top of the rudder). I can't imagine how I could accurately drill that hole especially after the planking and deck have been completed. I wonder if you did this and, if so, how you managed to do it?

Here is a photo of the the hole that would need to be drilled to make the rudder blade shaft for the rudder masthead #56:

IMG_7403.thumb.JPG.d2450610f2914b8a691f1c732a08f568.JPG Also, the plans show that the stiffeners along the middle the false keel are not glued flush with the bottom of the keel. There is a small space between the bottom of the stiffeners and the bottom of the false keel as seen in the photo below (parts 23 and 24 for example). I'm not sure what the purpose of that is? Should those stiffeners in that part of the keel be flush with the bottom of the keel?

IMG_1016.thumb.JPG.600099c32fd2db1573464ec3cdcc0da5.JPG

Thanks very much and I hope your move is going well.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Hi Chap,

The penetration for the Rudder tube was drilled after the False Keel/Deck installed, and Hull Planking completed.

The Hull Planking ensured that the Rudder Penetration did not compromise the False Keel integrity.

( I guess an idea is that you could laminate/glue a Doubler either side of the False Keel Rudder Penetration prior to planking, (That would give you a better idea of where your Drill Bit would be tracking and not compromise  the strength of the False keel Just a suggestion....)

From memory, I used a small bit and drilled parallel/vertical to the Stern Post, gradually increasing the drill Bit size. (The bigger Bit follows the smaller hole….)

Give a bit of "Wriggle Room" so that when you get to the final diameter, the Rudder fits flush with the Stern Post.

(I used my fingers and {liers to turn the Drill Bit to this hole, a bit painful but well worth the discomfort/time/shredded skin.)

Don't do this until you have the "Skeleton" completed, and, probably better complete before Planking is started. Or, If the false Keel is strengthened first, as per above, or, your Planking is installed first.

(I am just suggesting an approach, you need to be comfortable with the method that you will take. Have a careful think about things and the "What If's?") 🙂

The penetration/hole of the Dowel diameter will ensure that the Tiller/Rudder will be able to be "Articulated" if that's what you wish to achieve, otherwise, just glue it in place.... )

(I love the moving bits if possible.... :-))

Yup, the "False Keel "Doublers."

You need these. (Either side) The space at the bottom of the False Keel is so that you can fair everything in before planking and achieve a "Knife Edge" profile for Planking. They also provide support for Planking at the extremities.

This is a "Single" Planked Ship, no additional Keel so the more you can get the symmetrical "Fairing" "Knife Edge" of Keel extermities the better.

Planking will extend a little further than the Keel extremities, don't worry about that too much, there's plenty of thickness in the Hull Planking to carefully blend into the faured Bulkheads/False Keel. (You'll see....:-))

Take your time, consider your next move at least three times and then sleep on it..... 🙂

False Keel/Doublers takes a bit of patience. narrow sanding Block and "Cross Grain" sanding to remove excess material between the Bulkheads. (Don't gouge the Bulkheads!!)

Get the "Knife" edge around the False Keel and the Planking should follow. (Flow)

Does this make sense?

Cheers and Regards,

HOF. (Harry)

If you want clarification, I have plenty of time on my hands at the mo until settlement. (Happy to assist if I can.)

Domiciled in a  holiday Park Cabin for the mo until 9th of June.

Missing my  three Abyssinian companions, Cattery in Wellington. at the mo.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks so much for your informative reply, Harry. The instructions are so brief and lacking in details and the pictures are so small and blurry that I feel like I'm finding my way in the dark!

Drilling the rudder tube still seems like it will be a very tricky operation even following your explanation . It seems like you are required to essentially blindly drill the hole once the deck and planking are done. Did you start the drilling from the deck and go down or from the keel and go up? Drilling from the deck down seems to be the obvious thing to do. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this process.

I guess the biggest question I have is how did you accurately set the angle of the drill at first? Then, once you had the angle of the drill set, how did you manage to keep it at the correct angle and also perfectly centered down the middle of the false keel so that the exit hole would be exactly in line with the center of the rudder? This seems like it must have been practically a shot in the dark trying to keep the angle and the centering of the drill accurate while drilling by hand without anything to guide the drill. 

I think your idea of adding a "doubler" to the false keel along the sides where the drilling will take place could be a good idea, but I wonder if the exit hole at the bottom would be in the correct place exactly once the planking is on the hull?

I may end up just gluing it in a fixed position but it would be nice to have an actual rudder that articulates though.

I also spent some time trying to blow up the deck photos from the French link you posted and try to get them to match up closely to the actual size of the Pen Duick deck piece. I tried quite a few different setting and couldn't get the enlarged prints to match the actual deck though. It may have something to do with the differences din the imperial measurement that we use here in the USA compared to the metric measurement used in the rest of the world. Our standard paper printing size is 8 1/2 x 11 inches which different than the A4 metric paper size used in the rest of the world. The conversion of our standard size paper to the metric A4 is 8.27 x 11.69 inches. So something is getting lost in the translation.

I may just have to try and draw a layout of the decking joggles but I'm not sure how well I'm going to be able to do that.

Thanks for you help. I'll go and continue fumbling along and see what happens!

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Hi Chap,

In response to your biggest question first....

I drilled the Rudder tube after Planking, Hull and Deck.

To gauge the angle, I held the Drill on the Sternpost, this ensured that the hole is at the correct angle and perpendicular.

(As discussed, if the hull is planked first, the False Keel wont break. The "Doubler idea was just a thought....)

So, the drill goes from the bottom, up. I placed a bit of Masking tape on the Deck where I judged the drill would come through to avoid any "Break-out."

, Just take you time but keep the drill next to and in line with the Sternpost

Make a template from Card for the Joggling operation first, it might save tears....

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson